Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cyrrus - When? :-)  (Read 3532 times)

Description:

Offline ddniUK

• Show only replies by ddniUK
Re: Cyrrus - When? :-)
« Reply #14 from previous page: November 16, 2014, 08:03:19 PM »
Has it been stated what revision of OS4.x the X5000 will ship with?

Offline Spectre660

• Show only replies by Spectre660
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2014, 08:05:53 PM »
Nope

Quote from: ddniUK;777647
Has it been stated what revision of OS4.x the X5000 will ship with?
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card

Offline Kernel

• Show only replies by Kernel
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 06:55:05 PM »
I'm on the fence.  got for an X1000 now or wait for an X5000.  Ugh.

Offline amigasociety

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 10:09:09 PM »
Quote from: Kernel;778233
I'm on the fence.  got for an X1000 now or wait for an X5000.  Ugh.

I would personally buy an X1000.  

I am a long-time owner.... owned the X1000 First Contact for almost 3 years now.

My guess is the general public will not be able to buy an X5000 until end of 2015 (that is my bet) so unless you want to wait a real long time, I can't see any sense in waiting.

My feeling is the X5000 does not bring a leaps-n-bounds power improvement over the X1000 unless you get the quad core version and even then, until the OS supports it, not a big deal.

I myself still a big fan of the X1000.

TJ
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 10:56:52 PM »
I have no idea if selling more X1000's helps A-Eon & AmigaKit or not.  I am 99.99% sure that A-Eon was making very little on each sale (possibly even zero profit for Trevor), while it was providing a some income to Hyperion for the AmigaOS4.x license and future 4.2 license promised, and of course AmigaKit was making some money for assembling, testing and shipping out each X1000 system to the buyers.  I would never talk anyone out of buying an X1000, and I think they are great systems if you are interested in running AmigaOS4.x.  The X5000's will be better, but not a huge step up in overall performance, more of an incremental smaller step up from what the X1000 already provides.

It is my understanding (which could be wrong) that because Trevor has decided to continue going forward with the X5000 series of AmigaOne computers, he now will be expecting some portion of the sales price to keep A-Eon going and recoup at least part of the design cost for the X5000's motherboard, which is why the price of the X5000's won't be that much different than the X1000, even though the the price of the CPU is a few hundred dollars less.  Of course if I really knew anything, I would be under an NDA and would not be writing any of this, so take anything I write with a grain of salt and make your own decisions based on what you know to be facts, not speculation of anyone else.

I just hope that one of the CPU's A-Eon & Varisys are designing motherboards for is low enough in power usage to create a laptop with and that this is part of what Varisys is doing for A-Eon with the money Trevor has pledged toward the partnership for further development.  I have read somewhere that the PA6T was first intended as a replacement for the G4 in Mac PowerBooks and iBooks, so it probably could be used in a laptop design, but I have not looked up any power requirements and heat produced facts regarding the new CPU's that are being used in the Cyrus+ motherboards, so I can only speculate and hope that Trevor and Varisys see the need and have the talent to create a laptop system to run AmigaOS4.x on.  That would certainly be a popular product for existing AmigaOS4.x users, and might get us some new users too.

Of course, if Trevor & Varisys were working on a laptop system design, it would be smart for them to keep it secret until it was almost ready for release, given how hostile and over critical this community can be from time to time.  Come on Trevor, give us what we really want and design and produce a new PPC laptop (then get all 3 NG Amiga Inspired OSes ported to it, AmigaOS4.x, MorphOS3.x & AROS for PPC, so it will sell in higher numbers, and allow lower production costs due to volume of units being over 1,000, not just 100 units at a time).
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 11:07:13 PM by amigadave »
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)