Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Iridium Banner AMIStore App Store A1200/A600 4xIDE Interface

AuthorTopic: Commodore USA Linux Distro upgrade available  (Read 4670 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline RobertJDohnert

Commodore USA Linux Distro upgrade available
« on: February 24, 2014, 07:22:04 AM »
We have released our first Linux distribution upgrade for Commodore USA customers and enthusiasts

http://amilx.blogspot.com/2014/02/amilx-501-released.html

This has been tested on the C64x, and the Amiga Mini from Commodore USA but it can be installed on any 64 bit compatible system.
 

Offline anachronicus

Re: Commodore USA Linux Distro upgrade available
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 10:38:17 AM »
Thank you!  I look forward to trying it out.
Anachronicus
-------------------
A1200 Power tower/ZIV busboard cybervision 3d mkii
A1200 ACA 1231, Indivision MK2 AGA
AT 4000T, missing cpu card, working condition unknown
A500 with scant signs of life
CUSA C64x Deluxe
Various and sundry Windows boxes
 

Offline persia

Re: Commodore USA Linux Distro upgrade available
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 11:51:08 AM »
The picture doesn't look much like the Commodore Vision.  In fact the picture looks pretty boring, not even a dock installed as standard.  And no VICE?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.
 

Offline number6

Re: Commodore USA Linux Distro upgrade available
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 02:43:23 PM »
Quote from: persia;759581
The picture doesn't look much like the Commodore Vision.  In fact the picture looks pretty boring, not even a dock installed as standard.  And no VICE?



You might recall towards the end that CommodoreUSA spoke about replacing "Vision" with something different. At the time it was referred to as "Commodore Fuzion".

#6
 

Offline persia

Re: Commodore USA Linux Distro upgrade available
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 01:00:31 AM »
Say what you want, the Commodore folks at least spent some time putting together a unique distro, this one looks like a stripped down version with a desktop image and an icon set.  Yes, you can install goodness like a dock yourself but why bother with this distro then?

Quote from: number6;759596
You might recall towards the end that CommodoreUSA spoke about replacing "Vision" with something different. At the time it was referred to as "Commodore Fuzion".

#6
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.
 

Offline RobertJDohnert

Re: Commodore USA Linux Distro upgrade available
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 04:33:00 AM »
Commodore USA was going to go an entirely different direction.  Of course this being the initial release, we have plenty of room to grow.  So let us know what features you would like to see and of course we will consider it but this is not going to be an overbloated, overthemed distribution.  Our goal with this is to be as user and resource friendly as possible.  

We are always open for improvement.

Quote from: persia;759654
Say what you want, the Commodore folks at least spent some time putting together a unique distro, this one looks like a stripped down version with a desktop image and an icon set.  Yes, you can install goodness like a dock yourself but why bother with this distro then?
 

Offline commodorejohn

Re: Commodore USA Linux Distro upgrade available
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 05:59:00 AM »
Quote from: persia;759654
Say what you want, the Commodore folks at least spent some time putting together a unique distro,
If by "putting together a unique distro" you mean "configuring preexisting X desktop components to look like OSX," sure.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup
 

Offline persia

Re: Commodore USA Linux Distro upgrade available
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 01:18:26 PM »
Why would I use this over say Mint?  Mint is rock solid and well known.  I can easily flip the task bar to the top, install a Dock and Amiga style wall paper and I far ahead of your distro.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.
 

Offline CritAnime

  • Previous Life Time Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 1143
  • Total likes: 0
Re: Commodore USA Linux Distro upgrade available
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 09:56:17 PM »
Quote from: RobertJDohnert;759565
We have released our first Linux distribution upgrade for Commodore USA customers and enthusiasts

http://amilx.blogspot.com/2014/02/amilx-501-released.html

This has been tested on the C64x, and the Amiga Mini from Commodore USA but it can be installed on any 64 bit compatible system.



And just under a month later it seem that it is all gone. the blog has been removed and now the facebook page is going too.

Oh well. Another Amiga inspired bubble burst.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 09:58:42 PM by CritAnime »
 

Offline commodorejohn

Re: Commodore USA Linux Distro upgrade available
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 10:32:21 PM »
And the last vestiges of CUSA collapse and sink beneath the waves.

Ha ha!
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup
 

Offline persia

Re: Commodore USA Linux Distro upgrade available
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 10:59:58 PM »
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.
 

Offline gertsy

  • Lifetime Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: May 2006
  • Posts: 2308
  • Country: au
  • Total likes: 6
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
Re: Commodore USA Linux Distro upgrade available
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 06:30:19 AM »
Inappropriate.

Does the distro have commodore support for free. That might be a reason to use it.
 

Offline CritAnime

  • Previous Life Time Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 1143
  • Total likes: 0
Re: Commodore USA Linux Distro upgrade available
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 09:14:47 AM »
the distro was a respin of their commercial OS with emulators installed. I have it on a usb thumb stick and had a quick play. But with a 8 week old its been too busy for me to have a proper play.

Offline gertsy

  • Lifetime Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: May 2006
  • Posts: 2308
  • Country: au
  • Total likes: 6
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
Re: Commodore USA Linux Distro upgrade available
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 09:32:22 PM »
Quote from: CritAnime;761354
the distro was a respin of their commercial OS with emulators installed. I have it on a usb thumb stick and had a quick play. But with a 8 week old its been too busy for me to have a proper play.


Congratulations!
Another new Amigan.
 

Offline CritAnime

  • Previous Life Time Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 1143
  • Total likes: 0
Re: Commodore USA Linux Distro upgrade available
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 06:24:55 PM »
Quote from: gertsy;761407
Congratulations!
Another new Amigan.

Cheers ;)