Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Nokia - Bye!  (Read 3479 times)

Description:

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
Re: Nokia - Bye!
« Reply #29 from previous page: September 04, 2013, 09:49:06 PM »
Im thinking in Jolla too, lets pray for it or some more options :)
a1200 060

Offline ajlwalker

• Show only replies by ajlwalker
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2013, 10:24:10 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;747050
I loved my N80 and my Black N95-8GB phones, wonderful devices and I could do pretty everything I do with the Android phones I've had over the last 4 years.

Here's hoping that Jolla is succesful and gets bought by Nokia and transformed into a new Nokia phone divison to compete with MS. :)

It's funny you should say that, I just said that to my brother yesterday in an email. I suggested Nokia could use the billions from Microsoft to buy Jolla.

No matter, I will be buying a Jolla as soon as it comes out to replace my still in use N95. It will be my first non Nokia, though really it is Nokia in spirit.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2013, 10:50:21 PM »
Quote from: ajlwalker;747065
It's funny you should say that, I just said that to my brother yesterday in an email. I suggested Nokia could use the billions from Microsoft to buy Jolla.

Oh that would make me laugh so much! :D

No matter, I will be buying a Jolla as soon as it comes out to replace my still in use N95. It will be my first non Nokia, though really it is Nokia in spirit.

I'm due an upgrade in a couple of weeks as my contract is nearly up.  I thinking of just taking a SIM only deal and putting the money saved each month away until i've got enough to buy a Jolla phone.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2013, 03:06:24 AM »
I pre-ordered a Jolla phone :D

So in reading more about this deal (I've been a Nokia fan since my N900, and I bought the doomed before birth N9, which I still use as my main phone).

They bought up the phone making part of Nokia, but all the R&D (Advanced technologies, I believe is what it was referred to as) is still Nokia, along with the Patents that were licensed to MS for 2.x Billion (the other 5billion was for the purchase of their phone division).

So part of the deal is that Nokia can't make Nokia branded phones until 2016.  But that gives a few years to see how Jolla pans out..

I kind of think some of the insiders in Nokia were kind of planning this all along, sort of a "Hey, let's test to see if we can be different enough and succeed with Windows phone, and if not, let's have a plan B."  There was a supposed plan B for a while, and then Jolla was announced and then Plan B was "there is no plan B, they're screwed!"

Oh, and an earlier post said that there were 7 million phones sold in a quarter, and it's not like Nokia were standing on the corner giving them away for free... actually they practically were!  I am pretty sure for a while there you could get an AT&T contract for 20 bucks and get a Lumia.

Sad bit is, S40 (low end), Symbian (low/mid end), Maemo/MeeGo (high end) probably would have worked out very well if they'd waited one more year with Qt merging all the platforms.

The bull*?#@**?#@**?#@**?#@* that Elop was feeding people that "Oh, it's all about Ecosystem!"  Nokia had a larger 'App' store than Apple did for a rather long time.

The only real reason that iOS and Android took off is all of a sudden people were impressed with touch screens, and getting the Nokia smartphones to work well with touch took a bit too long.

That and as already mentioned Nokia presence in the USA was almost nil, especially Symbian phones.  I only ever saw ONE Symbian phone on T-Mobile, and I almost bought one to learn Qt for, but it was a lower end, even for Symbian.  One other reason I think Symbian died of is a simple 'Spec War' issue, where they advertised a lower resolution screen than all the other phones coming out.

Funny thing is, newer versions of Symbian (from what I'd read, hadn't ever used one) were VERY battery efficient and fast even on low end hardware.  The fact that 'modern' smart phones need to be charged every other day at the latest, is just depressing when some of the earlier ones would last at least a week.

I'm very much looking forward to my Jolla phone.  In fact, I think tomorrow I'll wear my Jolla T-Shirt to work.  :D

As an off topic rant, when I first started getting my own phones, I bought Motorola because of the processors they made for the Atari ST/Amiga.  My first phone I actually used  a lot was a Motorola RAZR2, (which I rooted) then a Motorola Cliq, and I hated Android (1.6 at the time) so much, I only had it for about a month and a half, before I had found the Nokia N900 had come out.  Holy crap that phone is AWESOME.

Check this out;  http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=91142&highlight=neo900

I very much want one...

slaapliedje
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline Faerytale

• Show only replies by Faerytale
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2013, 09:51:34 AM »
Nokia has been sinking for a long time! Microsoft just rescued them and probably saved them self for a while..

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2013, 01:17:23 PM »
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline SysAdminTopic starter

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline mrknight

• Show only replies by mrknight
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2013, 07:28:22 AM »

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2013, 08:03:15 AM »
A $7.2 billion buyout in order to keep the one halfway important Windows Phone vendor from jumping ship. That's hilarious :D
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup