Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Powermac G4  (Read 4057 times)

Description:

Offline swift240Topic starter

• Show only replies by swift240
Powermac G4
« on: July 09, 2013, 05:17:17 PM »
Ok...............................
Searching through eBay for a powermac g4.
I am thinking of getting a powermacG4 for Morphose.
Now I have NO idea on mac's so what is the lowest spec system to run Morphose.
Like what type of CPU power, RAM?

As Morphose I know very little about being an ordinary 1200 user.

here is one such example:-

Powermac G4 Quicksilver
THIS UNIT IS FULLY FUNCTIONAL. THE HARD DRIVE HAS BEEN WIPED AND LOADED WITH A FRESH INSTALL OF MAC OS 10.6, LEOPARD. THERE MAY BE COSMETIC WEAR ON THE CASE FROM NORMAL USAGE.

1GB OF RAM EASILY UPGRADABLE

733MHZ PROCESSOR

80 GB HARD DRIVE

TIA,

Mike.
Amiga 1200, 82gb HD, 4 way IDE\'97, DVD Multi-Recorder, OS3.9, BB1,BB2, Apollo Turbo MkII 030/40, 32meg Fastram, 4Gb CF card PCMCIA slot, IDE CF card adaptor 4Gb CF card, HP 810C, Alba HDTV, Converted PC PSU. C128, C64, C16, Plus4, 1701, 1570, 1541MkII, ARP6.0,KCS Power Cart, FreezeFrame MK3B, Freeze Machine, Simons Basic,  PSP, PS1, PS2, PS3 HDMI and 1TB HD+ 80gb USB HD, PS3 TV add on, Sound Surround speakers for PS2,PS3,PC, and Amiga Amazing so

Offline nicholas

Re: Powermac G4
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 05:25:29 PM »
Don't pay more than £50-60 quid for a Power Mac G4 of that spec and make sure it has a Radeon not nvidia card.

I know someone who has a few MacMini G4's for sale 1.42 GHz with 1GB RAM for £95 including shipping. No hard drive in them though.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 05:30:05 PM by nicholas »
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline swift240Topic starter

• Show only replies by swift240
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 05:32:36 PM »
Yes I am on the MorphOS site now checking it out.
So it may seem that for a reasonable price I can have a MorphOS system up and running.

Thanks for the Info.

Mike.
Amiga 1200, 82gb HD, 4 way IDE\'97, DVD Multi-Recorder, OS3.9, BB1,BB2, Apollo Turbo MkII 030/40, 32meg Fastram, 4Gb CF card PCMCIA slot, IDE CF card adaptor 4Gb CF card, HP 810C, Alba HDTV, Converted PC PSU. C128, C64, C16, Plus4, 1701, 1570, 1541MkII, ARP6.0,KCS Power Cart, FreezeFrame MK3B, Freeze Machine, Simons Basic,  PSP, PS1, PS2, PS3 HDMI and 1TB HD+ 80gb USB HD, PS3 TV add on, Sound Surround speakers for PS2,PS3,PC, and Amiga Amazing so

Offline bbond007

• Show only replies by bbond007
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 05:47:39 PM »
Quote from: swift240;740366

I don't recommend going for the cheapest lowest spec thing you can find just because the MorphOS license is tied to the hardware, and is difficult to transfer if you decided you need more capability...

I went through this with efika. Sold the MorphOS license and basically threw in the machine for $1.

Its like putting expensive rims on a clunker :)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 05:50:53 PM by bbond007 »

Offline nicholas

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 06:54:11 PM »
I'd wait until MorphOS 3.3 is released before getting a G5 machine as there have been a few teething troubles with some models.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 10:34:18 PM »
Quote from: bbond007;740374
I don't recommend going for the cheapest lowest spec thing you can find just because the MorphOS license is tied to the hardware, and is difficult to transfer if you decided you need more capability...

I went through this with efika. Sold the MorphOS license and basically threw in the machine for $1.

Its like putting expensive rims on a clunker :)

The G4s have at least the advantage of being well upgradeable. I think a Quicksilver PowerMac G4 can get equipped with 1.42 GHz cpu cards or even faster ones.

From my personal experience I can very much recommend the Mac Mini G4 1.5 GHz (very fast, tiny, not too loud and low wattage). It's a bit harder to obtain than the 1.42 GHz minis, but it's worth it. And if you happen do dislike MorphOS (I doubt) you can sell it off easily again via ebay and get probably about the money back you spent to try it out.

Offline bbond007

• Show only replies by bbond007
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 11:27:35 PM »
Quote from: zylesea;740420
The G4s have at least the advantage of being well upgradeable. I think a Quicksilver PowerMac G4 can get equipped with 1.42 GHz cpu cards or even faster ones.

From my personal experience I can very much recommend the Mac Mini G4 1.5 GHz (very fast, tiny, not too loud and low wattage). It's a bit harder to obtain than the 1.42 GHz minis, but it's worth it. And if you happen do dislike MorphOS (I doubt) you can sell it off easily again via ebay and get probably about the money back you spent to try it out.

I also have the 1.42. I bought it new from Apple and now I have a licensed Morphos installed.

I don't so much worry about 1.42 va 1.5, however the 32MB VRAM vs 64 MB seems to be a bigger issue. Also, I don't know about all 1.42 models, but mine has the absolutely worst quality VGA output I have ever seen... the DVI looks great though :)

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 01:08:39 AM »
You should always get one with as much VRAM as possible.

As for me, I won't buy one unless it has 128MB VRAM or more.
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

Offline salax54

• Show only replies by salax54
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 01:40:43 PM »
@swift240:
For starters, the example you mentioned is misleading! As in, whoever posted that sale, has no idea what he's got. Any PPC Mac cannot install 10.6 upwards. It's only compatible with 10.5.x max.

Offline duga

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 01:53:27 PM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;740431
You should always get one with as much VRAM as possible.

As for me, I won't buy one unless it has 128MB VRAM or more.

The problem is that Mac Mini G4 doesn't have more than 64 MB (and often only 32 MB).

Offline Acill

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 02:10:25 PM »
Get yourself a Mirror Drive Door Powermac. It was the last model before the G5 came out. They all will have at least a Radeon 9000 64MB in the AGP port and you can put a better card in with very little money. You can still get DDR modules and max your RAM to 2GB, its got standard PCI slots and the "airport" wifi slot has enough room to fit a standard sized PCMCIA card that compatible if you want wifi with it.

I paid $60 for mine and picked it up local. Also check craigs list and direct them to ebay if they are dreaming of getting a $200 or more sale from them.

Also you can put Leopard on them. Slow Leopard you can not however install.
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline AmigaBruno

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 08:36:38 PM »
Quote from: swift240;740366
Like what type of CPU power, RAM?

As Morphose I know very little about being an ordinary 1200 user.

here is one such example:-

Powermac G4 Quicksilver
THIS UNIT IS FULLY FUNCTIONAL. THE HARD DRIVE HAS BEEN WIPED AND LOADED WITH A FRESH INSTALL OF MAC OS 10.6, LEOPARD. THERE MAY BE COSMETIC WEAR ON THE CASE FROM NORMAL USAGE.

1GB OF RAM EASILY UPGRADABLE

733MHZ PROCESSOR

80 GB HARD DRIVE

TIA,

Mike.

I've got a Power Mac G4 Quicksilver and I can confirm that the Morphos timed demo version runs on it.

I got this Mac because I thought it would come in useful for creating some kind of music tracks which I took further in a recording studio, but then I found out just how far behind the Mac in the studio it was. It came with OS X 10.3.9 and the installation has been corrupted so that I can't install any more software on it. The error message is something like "Can't find bill of materials". This seems to mean that I need to install a new version of OS X or some other OS onto it, but money problems have prevented me from doing that. Things should improve for me soon, though.

Offline Tenacious

• Show only replies by Tenacious
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 10:03:41 PM »
I'm starting to run MorphOS on a similar machine, mine clocks at 933 Mhz.  It's fast and responsive!  

I was excited about running my G5, but, that would have wasted its memory.  If I understand, MorphOS will not use more than a Gig of ram if more is installed.  My G4 tops out at 1.5 Gig, and so, is a better match.  Besides, the G4 is a speed demon compared to 68K hardware.