Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 79 available systems for MorphOS 3.5  (Read 51252 times)

Description:

Offline antikk

• Show only replies by antikk
Re: 73 available systems for MorphOS 3.2
« Reply #164 from previous page: February 19, 2014, 07:50:24 AM »
Why are you bringing a premium car into this discussion? And why are you settling for only a 535? I'm asuming you're talking about a e34 535 around 90 model. With 400000km on the counter. With much rust, engine starting to fail due to no service. Leaking oil. Rubbish interior. Why didn't you aim a bit higher? Like an m5? :)
Whats the difference  between 2d hardware acceleration and real 2d hardware acceleration?
And fitting an porsche engine into a fiat would be nice. And since you're comparing that to gfx card and sam. That means you have the engine connected to the drive chain etc. making the fiat fast.
I don't see why a fiat can't be as fast as a porsche.

Quote from: takemehomegrandma;759103
"Way too slow" for what exactly? :crazy:

Remember that the Sam 460 only has an embedded PowerPC 460 class CPU (no altivec etc) running at mere 1/1.1GHz that struggles in keeping up with even a Pegasos 2 (and the more recent 1.4GHz+ G4 Macs can be close to 2x as fast as the Peg2 in some areas). Its 4 lanes of PCI-e 1.1 interface provides a theoretical maximum of 1000MB/s bandwidth, to a graphics cards that has no 3D acceleration support, no overlay support and officially not even 2D acceleration support as of yet! Compare this to the much faster G4's of 1.42GHz/1.67GHz or even higher (up to 1.8/2.0GHz with 3rd party accelerators) with 1066MB/s AGP 4X, or up to 2.7GHz G5 CPU's with a 2133MB/s AGP 8X interface to graphics cards with real 2D acceleration, 3D acceleration, overlay, etc.

Bolting on a Porsche 911 Turbo engine (read: fast GFX card) to an old Fiat 126 (read: Sam 460), won't make the Fiat perform at a Porsche level, there are too many limiting factors, too many bottle necks. A Fiat 126 simply couldn't support an engine like that, couldn't make full use of it. And of course, if there is no driver, then it won't move at all! And here you are, touting: "A Porsche 911 Turbo engine is way too slow for a Fiat 126, I think it should have a Ferrari F1 engine instead", which really doesn't make any sense at all. And since there is no driver, your Fiat doesn't move anyway, and you spend most of your time standing beside it, looking at it, dreaming about it, and talking to others about it and its fantasy future and theoretical performance it *could/should* have on FiatWorld.net. It's a discussion club. And has been for years, and will be for years to come. While others have had much fun during all that time (and still have, and will have for a long time still), driving around in their BMW 535's (MorphOS on Mac's), fitted with the proper/suitable BMW 535 engines that was meant for the car. Sure, it's no Porsche 911, but it's no Fiat 126 either. And sure, they may be second hand, and yes, they are aging, but old as they are, they are for sure "reasonably priced cars" and with a driver like "the Stig" (meaning: the lightweight MorphOS can do some things that simply wasn't possible when that fat Mac dude was behind the wheel), it can for sure be a very fun ride for those interested in *actually riding stuff* instead of just talking/dreaming about it!

:)

That's why the MorphOS Team's Mac support was the winning strategy compared to OS4! 79 possible platforms to search for, with great diversity, ranging from very compact/low footprint like the Mac Mini (my personal favorite) via the "big-box" desktop G4's, to the big bad G5's! And don't forget: Two entire families of laptops! :cool:

The graphics cards works great, and thanks to competent drivers that can actually handle them, they do pretty much everything they are supposed to do! Games like Skyrim isn't realistically going to happen for anything Amiga anyway (and no, this is *not* because of absence of Radeon R9 (Volcanic Islands) GFX cards), and for whatever SW the Amiga platform has, the R200/R300 (and R500) is a perfect match! Sure, I wouldn't mind having Radeon Volcanic Islands support in MorphOS, but then I would also like to have Intel Z87 + Core i3/i5/i7 Haswell support (with 64-bit and SMP) as well... ;)

:)[/QUOTE]

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
Re: 79 available systems for MorphOS 3.5
« Reply #165 on: February 19, 2014, 01:42:33 PM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;759146
Is this the laptop version I need to run MorphOS on it?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Apple-A1107-17-1-67MGz-Aluminum-PowerBook-G4-Laptop-160GB-HD-2GB-Mem-Superdrive-/151231109939?pt=Apple_Laptops&hash=item2336139b33

That is the ideal unit, but as mentioned before several models are supported.
The G3 iBooks are not supported, but all G4 iBooks are (like my 1.42 GHz model).
I haven't tried using Windows in a remote desktop, but it sounds like a neat option.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #166 on: February 19, 2014, 04:41:21 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;759176
That is the ideal unit,

Unless you prefer to have more pixels when the PB5.9 (A1139) becomes the ideal unit....
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
Re: 73 available systems for MorphOS 3.2
« Reply #167 on: February 19, 2014, 06:39:58 PM »
Quote from: danwood;759106
Well said, indeed I am still baffled why Vox when down the expensive, slower and less supported Sam460 to run MorphOS rather than just getting a Mini g4 for like $100?

Each to their own though, but the PPC Mac support is definitely a huge bonus of MorphOS.  When my A1XE was starting to act up I looked at my options, as you say the 460 is only around the same performance level as an A1XE/Pegasos, and in many ways inferior as it has less developed/finished drivers.  So the only option for an upgrade was to drop £3,000 on an X1000 which was out of the question so MorphOS on a cheap mini now satisfies my "NG" needs.

I do have SAM460ex and currently have no space for more computers.
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #168 on: February 19, 2014, 11:53:52 PM »
Quote from: Kronos;759188
Unless you prefer to have more pixels when the PB5.9 (A1139) becomes the ideal unit....

"Dad" has a point here.
Both are 128MB vram models, but the A1139 supports higher resolutions.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
« Reply #169 on: February 20, 2014, 01:04:22 AM »
That is not important for me. I d not care if MorphOS supports even more laptop models...this is the laptop model I want and I will buy and use for MorphOS:

Apple A1107 17" 1.67MGz Aluminum PowerBook G4 Laptop 160GB HD 2GB Mem Superdrive

In a month from now I will order this version of laptop and in two weeks from now I will buy MorphOS 3.5.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #170 on: February 20, 2014, 01:50:00 AM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;759232
That is not important for me. I d not care if MorphOS supports even more laptop models...this is the laptop model I want and I will buy and use for MorphOS:

Apple A1107 17" 1.67MGz Aluminum PowerBook G4 Laptop 160GB HD 2GB Mem Superdrive

In a month from now I will order this version of laptop and in two weeks from now I will buy MorphOS 3.5.

You need to buy the laptop first before you can buy a MorphOS licence for it. ;)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini