Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Linux and I --Round Two!!!-- Fight!!  (Read 3070 times)

Description:

Offline spihunterTopic starter

• Show only replies by spihunter
Linux and I --Round Two!!!-- Fight!!
« on: December 21, 2002, 03:01:08 AM »

Offline kd7ota

• Show only replies by kd7ota
    • http://www.qrz.com
Re: Linux and I --Round Two!!!-- Fight!!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2002, 04:49:38 AM »
I am looking forward to install Linux on my 500mhz machine here soon.  I just need to get case for the computer and then download the 8.2 Distro of Linux Mandrake since that version seems to run nice.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Mine!  :-D

Offline Wolfe

• Show only replies by Wolfe
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2002, 06:07:40 AM »
Red Hat rubbed me the wrong way some time ago and I gave it  away, and later I think it was destroyed by its new owner who I guess had less patiance than me.  

I use Mandrake 9.0.  Its ready for prime time.  100% RH compatable.  I love the point and click - lazy man's environment.
Avatar Babe:  Monica Bellucci  -    :love:

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2002, 07:45:15 AM »
Dunno actually.  For the office (corp or government), Linux is ready for the real world.  For home use, it's almost there.  Perhaps if some of the mulitmedia (and driver) issues have been worked around or solved in Linux 2.6.x, it'll be ready for real world home use.  

Dammy, RH 7.3 and 8.0
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline WarPiper

• Show only replies by WarPiper
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2002, 08:58:43 AM »
I also run Mandarke 9.0, its install on my AMd 1.4 t-bird, I took the Hard drive from a A1200 I had, added a 2.5 to 3.5 converter to it then just poped it into the PC tower to create a duel boot linux and Win 2k system.

I have to say that this to me is the most impressive distrobution of linux I have ever seen and use, though I think I messed up the Gnome desktop, but thats ok, I like KDE better for some weird reason.

During installing, I think I went overboard and installed EVERY SINGLE package that came with the distro, Games like the Chromium and tuxracer seems to run slow, and I know that its not due to lack of resources, other than that, I love it. hell, I am using it now.
 :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D
There was a time I can remember computers were fun...I miss my A1200.

Offline WarPiper

• Show only replies by WarPiper
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2002, 09:26:06 AM »
@ spihunter

nothing ever ran right without tweaking. changing even simple setttings (ex: screen size) involved manipulating text files. I dont mind doing this stuff when I'm in the right mood.
but when I'm really trying to get some creative work done on my computer, I really dont want to have to F#$%^&* with a text editor!!! (double when its late & I'm ready for bed)

I know just how you feel, but it is with the Amiga, Although I love my miggy, and will tolerate it for as long as I own it, but I cant stand getting a nice Amiga program that people talk about, like perfect paint and AmigaAmp and games, but first you have to spend a year and a day downloading library files and this and that and yadda yadda yadaa....just to get the damn thing working, then there are those programs that just go on the blink and not work like ppaint, candyfactory pro, now I dont mean to make this into a bitch-out for Amiga, I am just saying I know what you mean about having to tweak the program befor getting it to work.

maybe Amiga OS is so small because they dont put all that is needed into it.  But I still love it.
There was a time I can remember computers were fun...I miss my A1200.

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2002, 10:17:13 AM »
you know if the linux community had not been so arrogant and pig headed, they might have really given microsoft a scare. I hope its not to little to late.

Sorry you had to fight through the nasty end of the community. When I started trying out Linux, everyone I spoke to was nice and polite. Guess there are always idiots in any given group of people, but please don't think that means ALL of the group are idiots.

I think the trick is to stay away from mailing lists. It's easy to make a bad first impression on mailing lists, especially if the other subscribers are technically way ahead of you. IRC is a more intimate way of communicating, as you get to say sorry straight away if you say something stupid. Experts are less likely to flame you on IRC, since there is immediate retribution if they do. Also, you get a response straight away, sometimes walking you through the process.

Have fun!

Offline spihunterTopic starter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2002, 03:12:04 PM »
@jagr
the trick is to stay away from the mailing list

Yep, thats where I met the total jerks.

I say the linux community is arrogant because most
people I have met seem to think that for some reason
linux should not be user friendly.