Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS for Sam460  (Read 28412 times)

Description:

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
Re: MorphOS for Sam460
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 04:37:03 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;717131
Very cool, I still think I want to stick with the G5, but this is awesome!

When I am working again and ready to check out OS 4.x, I will certainly be buying this board, having various flavors of Amiga OS available for once computer is just too cool!
Absolutely! This certainly adds to my enthusiasm for grabbing a SAM460ex next year. One of the reasons I was so interested in getting a pegasos2 was the ability to run both AmigaOS and MorphOS on the same machine -- and I enjoy the ability to do so. I also hope this might lead to support for RadeonHD cards on MorphOS eventually.

In fact with AmigaOS 4.1, MorphOS, and AROS all eventually able to run natively on the SAM460ex, it might not be the fastest next-generation Amiga system, but it certainly will be the most compatible. Rock on, Acube! :)

Edit: For those of you on Facebook there is a video of the MorphOS prototype booting up.

-- eliyahu
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 05:02:00 AM by eliyahu »
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline Rob

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 06:54:52 AM »
Quote from: Methuselas;717123
I'm actually surprised the "Blue Heretics" haven't chimed in on this yet.... :razz: :lol:

The rabids are hailing it as the OS4 endgame (yet again) over at the moo.  Always good for a laugh over there.

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 07:49:00 AM »
Quote from: Rob;717158
The rabids are hailing it as the OS4 endgame (yet again) over at the moo.  Always good for a laugh over there.

Considering I spend about as much time there, as I do in Thailand, contracting syphilis from street walkers, I had no idea it was the "endgame." Of course, all that does is detract me even further from MorphOS.

Not surprising, though...... :confused:
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 09:01:54 AM »
Quote from: Tripitaka;717112
Those heathen mobos wouldn't be around if Hyperion didn't go to them for an OS4 platform

Acube's primary market is embedded customer and that is what those boards are designed for.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline itix

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 09:06:29 AM »
Quote from: Rob;717158

Looks like "red heretics" are getting mad because MorphOS is ported to yet another hardware...?

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2012, 09:15:03 AM »
Good news for Sam 460 owners.

:)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2012, 09:26:04 AM »
"Acube's primary market is embedded customer and that is what those boards are designed for."

People keep saying that, but its just not true. No way embedded customers are using these boards. There are hundreds of embedded solutions that are a tenth (or less) of the cost of these boards, and even at a tenth of the
price those other embedded boards have modern specs, not 10 year old specs.

Maybe they were originally designed with that purpose in mind but there is no way embedded customers are buying up these boards or providing acube with any significant customer base. These boards are just WAY under powered, WAY outdated, and WAY overpriced boards for amigaOS - and now AROS PPC,  and MORPHOS.

Well I guess all those people who complain about used hardware can shut up now, if you really want brand new hardware for morphOS there it is.

Me? I'd rather buy a good condition powermac g4 for a tenth of the price.

Offline itix

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2012, 09:26:05 AM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;717168
Good news for Sam 460 owners.

:)

Now they can have new MorphOS without buying another system. ;-)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 09:37:46 AM by itix »

Offline itix

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2012, 09:37:18 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;717169
"Acube's primary market is embedded customer and that is what those boards are designed for."

People keep saying that, but its just not true. No way embedded customers are using these boards. There are hundreds of embedded solutions that are a tenth (or less) of the cost of these boards, and even at a tenth of the
price those other embedded boards have modern specs, not 10 year old specs.

Maybe they were originally designed with that purpose in mind but there is no way embedded customers are buying up these boards or providing acube with any significant customer base. These boards are just WAY under powered, WAY outdated, and WAY overpriced boards for amigaOS - and now AROS PPC,  and MORPHOS.

Yes it would explain why SAM is available in small quantities only. But SAM platform is an embedded platform. It is using an embedded CPU, it has got FPGA (useless to desktop users), it has got SM502 graphics adapter what is not very useful for desktop use (low resolution, lack of gfx acceleration) and many "useless" ports.

I dont know if Acube is selling those boards at all outside Amiga market but it certainly was designed for embedded customers not using Amiga. As an evaluation board there is always small, tiny demand.

Offline itix

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2012, 09:39:58 AM »

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2012, 10:56:51 AM »
Quote from: eliyahu;717146
Absolutely! This certainly adds to my enthusiasm for grabbing a SAM460ex next year. One of the reasons I was so interested in getting a pegasos2 was the ability to run both AmigaOS and MorphOS on the same machine -- and I enjoy the ability to do so. I also hope this might lead to support for RadeonHD cards on MorphOS eventually.

In fact with AmigaOS 4.1, MorphOS, and AROS all eventually able to run natively on the SAM460ex, it might not be the fastest next-generation Amiga system, but it certainly will be the most compatible. Rock on, Acube! :)

Edit: For those of you on Facebook there is a video of the MorphOS prototype booting up.

-- eliyahu

That took for ever boot, and the screen update was well slow, guessing this because relevant drivers not optimized for the board yet.

If the time difference between other hardware release videos and actually release is anything to go by, this could be a year before sam version is released
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Templario

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2012, 11:03:04 AM »
Quote from: Methuselas;717123
I'm actually surprised the "Blue Heretics" haven't chimed in on this yet.... :razz: :lol:

Man, the Blue heretics and Red devils, it is scoccer game?
because I'm both, I have MOS and OS4 and OS3.9
Now we have a chance of squeeze our Sam460ex series.
Amiga 500 with ROMs 1.3-2.05 and M-Tec AT 500 with hard disk and 4MB Ram.
WinUAE + Original OS 3.5&3.9
Sam440ep 800 MHZ + OS 4.1 F.E.
Sam460ex 1 GHz + OS 4.1 + Update 6. K.O.
MacMini 1.5 GHz + MorphOS 3.9
PowerBook G4 1.65 + MorphOS 3.9

Offline Templario

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2012, 11:06:00 AM »
Is there a multiboot selector? because with so OS for the Sams where choose, it is incredible, 5 OS availables for this board.
Amiga 500 with ROMs 1.3-2.05 and M-Tec AT 500 with hard disk and 4MB Ram.
WinUAE + Original OS 3.5&3.9
Sam440ep 800 MHZ + OS 4.1 F.E.
Sam460ex 1 GHz + OS 4.1 + Update 6. K.O.
MacMini 1.5 GHz + MorphOS 3.9
PowerBook G4 1.65 + MorphOS 3.9

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2012, 12:57:40 PM »
One rig to run them all, one rig to find them,
One rig to bring them all and in the hobby bind them.
int p; // A

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2012, 01:24:35 PM »
Quote from: JJ;717177
That took for ever boot, and the screen update was well slow, guessing this because relevant drivers not optimized for the board yet.

If the time difference between other hardware release videos and actually release is anything to go by, this could be a year before sam version is released
it's early days, but the thing will fly once completed. OS4 is brilliantly fast on that little board, especially the development builds i got to play with at amiwest this year, so i'm sure MOS will be equally as fast, if not faster.

does anyone know if the MOS version for the SAM will support the onboard SM502, or will it require a R200 video board? and what about sound: will it support the SM502 or need a third-party sound card? if it were up to me, i'd skip bothering with the SM502 -- slow and poor documentation. nearly everyone who already has one of these machines uses another video card, albeit a radeon HD card. with u-boot being updated to support PCIe-to-PCI bridges, there's really no need to futz with the siliconmotion chip.

who's working on the port, by the way? is it just frank or are others involved?

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #29 from previous page: December 02, 2012, 02:24:04 PM »
Best response from Hyperion would be to retaliate and make aOS 4.x available on old PPC Macs...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.