Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Purchased MorphOS 3.1 today. Finally did the deed!  (Read 5157 times)

Description:

Offline amigasocietyTopic starter

Purchased MorphOS 3.1 today. Finally did the deed!
« on: October 25, 2012, 12:26:36 AM »
Been on the fench for years and finally did the deed.

Purchased MorphOS today and can't wait for my license to arrive.

Been an Amiga owner and user since late 2009 early 2010 and a happy AmigaOne X1000, Amiga A1000, and Relec The Red One SAM 440ep owner today.

Own a Mac Mini G4 1.5GHz with 3 external stacking LacIe style drives so have a nice little MorphOS system now next to my X1000. Connected to it is a Logitech Solar Wireless Keyboard and Logitech Wireless Mouse.

Both the X1000 and new Mac Mini MorphOS system are connected to my Samsung 27" SyncMaster SA950 Display and will share it for now.

I have tinkered with MorphOS over the last 2 to 3 years but decided in 2013 I will get much more into Amiga so will use both my Amiga OS 4.1u5 X1000 and now the Mac Mini running MorphOS for more day to day work in my home business.

tj
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

Offline Dragster

• Show only replies by Dragster
Re: Purchased MorphOS 3.1 today. Finally did the deed!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 01:08:10 AM »
Congrats mate... I will join you soon with my Powerbook G4 1139... ;-)

Cheers,

Dragster.
Amiga 1200T 603/240, 060/50, SCSI II, Plextor 40/12/40S SCSI CDRW, Plextor 40X SCSI CDROM, Fujitsu 36GB 10KRPM SCSI HD, Pioneer 305S SCSI DVD, BVisionPPC, 256 MB FASTRAM, PowerFlyer EIDE, Scandex external scandoubler, ZIV busboard, Algor USB, Wireless, repulse audio...Peg II Quadruple boot: OS4.1FE/MorphOS 3.9 regged, OpenSUSE11.1 & Debian Squeeze, Powerbook G4 1139 MorphOS3.9, A4000D CSPPC/PIV/DENEB OS3.9/4.1FE, A4000T CSPPC/CVPPC/SCSI, etc.. 2

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 03:29:44 AM »
Hi,

Been playing with a mini mac for about 3 months now, took morphos off because it just suxxed. Installed a useful OS called Ubuntu Linux. Works great and didn't have to pay a cent for it.

Morphos is like playing with cpm, it works but what can you do with it. Who is programming for it, and how many new programs come out for it each month. Would be more interesting if they had a network of programmers programming for it, or how about a rag mag that had programming listing in it  for morphos. Could be interesting.

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 08:42:30 AM »
Welcome to our humble little cult. Hopefully you'll find the right apps and games that will suite your needs/tastes.

You will be happy to know that like OS 4, many of the classic apps still work!

Also, you can have hours of fun prying around under the hood. :)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 12:37:49 PM »
Quote from: amigasociety;712526

Congratulations! from time to time take a look at morphzone too as most morphos users are there. If you like irc you can find more users in #morphos channel located at freenode
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 03:32:53 PM »

Congratulations!

:pint:

If you want the best "NG" experience, this is really the only option! ;) A tip: Check out the great "pack ultimate" to instantly get a fully pre-configured system up and running, and with that a hunch of what to include and what to leave out when you later set up your own, personalized system from scratch!

:)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline bbond007

• Show only replies by bbond007
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 06:25:02 PM »

Been an Amiga owner and user since late 2009 early 2010 and a happy AmigaOne X1000, Amiga A1000, and Relec The Red One SAM 440ep owner today.

Own a Mac Mini G4 1.5GHz with 3 external stacking LacIe style drives so have a nice little MorphOS system now next to my X1000. Connected to it is a Logitech Solar Wireless Keyboard and Logitech Wireless Mouse.

Both the X1000 and new Mac Mini MorphOS system are connected to my Samsung 27" SyncMaster SA950 Display and will share it for now.

I have tinkered with MorphOS over the last 2 to 3 years but decided in 2013 I will get much more into Amiga so will use both my Amiga OS 4.1u5 X1000 and now the Mac Mini running MorphOS for more day to day work in my home business.

tj

I would think about registering it for my powerbook5,8 and maybe even selling my minig4 but I'd like to use it with an external display... don't think it support that yet...

the powerbook has 128MB video ram... my mini g4 only 32 i think...

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 07:41:17 PM »
Ouch! Yes life is better with at least 64Mb Video RAM.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline matt3k

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 11:19:29 PM »
Welcome to the club.  MOS 3.1 is a fine OS.  

I have a PB 1139 with and OWC SSD and it is simply amazing.  I quickly blew away OSX after I played with it for a while.

OSX took 1.5 mins to boot, MOS takes 5 seconds.  Video playback on OSX struggled with 720p and large files, MOS plays 6 gig 720p files with zero lag.  Browsing is pretty decent on many websites.  This is the one area where OSX was better, safari was slower but more capable by a significant amount.

Compatibility for old amiga apps has been excellent also.

Recommend you use ICEFS for the file system.  

MOS is a true joy to use...

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 02:20:46 AM »
Quote from: matt3k;712616
Welcome to the club.  MOS 3.1 is a fine OS.  

I have a PB 1139 with and OWC SSD and it is simply amazing.  I quickly blew away OSX after I played with it for a while.

OSX took 1.5 mins to boot, MOS takes 5 seconds.  Video playback on OSX struggled with 720p and large files, MOS plays 6 gig 720p files with zero lag.  Browsing is pretty decent on many websites.  This is the one area where OSX was better, safari was slower but more capable by a significant amount.

Compatibility for old amiga apps has been excellent also.

Recommend you use ICEFS for the file system.  

MOS is a true joy to use...

5 seconds?!
Good God man. It takes me a full 30 seconds with a conventional drives.
SSDs are THAT much quicker?

Oh, and Smurf, Linux takes forever to boot on a Mac.
Wait a minute. Did you just say you were using a Mac?
And comparing us to CPM, now that's low (not even MPM) - Hey, we do have a GUI you know.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 02:25:00 AM by Iggy »
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline matt3k

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 03:15:16 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;712635
5 seconds?!
Good God man. It takes me a full 30 seconds with a conventional drives.
SSDs are THAT much quicker?

Pretty surprising I know.  From bong to full boot takes 5 seconds.  Using the OWC Legacy Pro and it's smashingly fast Iggy...  I never tried a conventional drive in the PB, so I don't have anything to compare it to.  OSX was really a disappointment on the SSD, sad to say...

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 04:09:32 AM »
Quote from: matt3k;712644
Pretty surprising I know.  From bong to full boot takes 5 seconds.  Using the OWC Legacy Pro and it's smashingly fast Iggy...  I never tried a conventional drive in the PB, so I don't have anything to compare it to.  OSX was really a disappointment on the SSD, sad to say...

Well, you've sold me. The trick will be finding a PATA SSD. I still intend to keep most files on an SATA drive, but those boot times are pretty convincing.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Fab

• Show only replies by Fab
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 09:40:06 AM »
Quote from: matt3k;712616
This is the one area where OSX was better, safari was slower but more capable by a significant amount.

Safari is more capable at what, exactly?

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 10:18:23 AM »
Quote from: Fab;712666
Safari is more capable at what, exactly?

Yeah, I was curious about that as well?

:confused:
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 12:53:40 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;712649
Well, you've sold me. The trick will be finding a PATA SSD. I still intend to keep most files on an SATA drive, but those boot times are pretty convincing.

We got a great web store here in Sweden but they do not ship world wide.

How much do decent PATA SSD's cost where you live?

They sell 64GB 2,5" MLC PATA SSD for 90$, if you can't get hold of a decent one I could buy one and ship for you and you can pay me when you get it :)