Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alas, I come to complain about MorphOS  (Read 19325 times)

Description:

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
Re: Alas, I come to complain about MorphOS
« Reply #59 from previous page: July 20, 2012, 10:10:15 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;700830
3D is great and certainly improved, but...

I hardly think that gaming and entertainment should take priority over creativity and productivity.

I remember (this was about 10 years ago) when MorphOS didnt have 3D acceleration for Radeon cards there was somebody yelling how MorphOS could be taken seriously without 3D... to some user other things are more important that others.

The last I looked, USB, MIDI, Sound Sampling and so on are pretty basic needs. You don't have to have Windows or OS X to take advantage of those features, you can use an old Amiga, and Atari ST, a C64, Atari 8-bit, even DOS for most if not all of these needs, so this is not just something that has recently been added to OS' and hardware, and it certainly would not hurt for MorphOS to FULLY support they hardware that they began support for back in MorphOS version 2.7.

Neither my Amiga 500 or Commodore 64 support sound sampling or MIDI... :P as far as USB isochronous transfer support is concerned it is not something that very often. Anyway, I have no idea if isochronous transfer will be supported. It would be nice to have so Poseidon support would be complete but it is not my job.

Anyway, at least you have raised the issue. If nobody ever ask then nobody care...

Edit

For Maestrix emulation have you tried this:

http://aminet.net/package/util/libs/TheMaestrix

I dont have OctaMED SS so I cant try it out (and you probably already tried it?). If it doesnt work I dont know if there is something else blocking OctaMED SS but again... I never had that program.

To use MIDI you would need a computer with old style serial port (Pegasos 1/2 or Efika ?), it certainly is supported in MorphOS but to my understanding MIDI via USB would require isochronous support... so it comes back to USB then.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 10:30:48 PM by itix »
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2012, 12:11:08 AM »
Quote from: itix;700778
I guess it is important but so is power saving features, 3D, support for reflashed Radeon cards, wireless networking, internet browsers and so on. There are many features to have focus on.

Yes, those are things worth focusing on.
Although all re-flashed video cards that are currently supported in their standard versions currently work under MorphOS (its all I use).

BTW - AmigaDave has figured a way to use a USB wireless devices that was designed to provide a connection to Blu-Ray players and other devices.

NETGEAR|WNCE2001-100NAR

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NetGear-WNCE2001-Universal-WiFi-Internet-Adapter-2-4-Ghz-Ethernet-port-Usb-fast-/271020990055?_trksid=p4340.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D750532587196107297%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6613567&CatId=2704
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 12:21:59 AM by Iggy »
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2012, 01:19:42 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;700516
If someone buys me a g4 mac mini I'll give morphos a spin, otherwise I'm sticking with AROS, but like I said its a system for games and fun, not for getting any serious work done...

Steven

Hi,

You are definetly correct sir

It surely isn't for getting work done, but it is good for web browsing and watching youtube!!

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2012, 06:32:32 PM »
Efika will work you say?

Hmmm.... Efika is small, it is low price and MorphOS just became much cheaper to license for that hardware....

That might be worth looking into, if I can find a CHEAP used Efika board.

You know, I don't mean to moan with all my complaints, though I know I'm not the first to be upset in relation to the state of USB or the matter of hardware support for said supported machines. Compatibility with software (either old or MorphOS native) that is said to be supported. After all this was to be a solution to the death of the Amiga, but it ain't much a solution if no one cares to try to make it as backwards compatible as possible, or conveniently expandable as possible at that. Especially when it is starting to look like MorphOS version 4 is going to kill backwards compatibility as we know it all together. Woohoo! Bright days ahead.
So ya, given that we just jumped from 2.7 to 3.1 and said supported hardware still isn't fully supported  (no wireless in MacMini, USB is still crippled compared to competing OS') and backwards, compatibility still hasn't been fully fleshed out, and the fact that the future may look like the death to all that... I do tend to moan a little.

All that senseless crap aside, they got my money now, and half of me does not feel raped. Half of me really likes what MorphOS is (for what it is), and I would find it hard to let go of. As I have said time and time again, unlike AROS (in its current state) it runs quite good under the hood. The OS specific features themselves have been fleshed out quite well and have created the best OS experience I've had since classic Amiga OS with Magellan II, and BeOS/Haiku!

Though, OS strengths aside, MorphOS' road map is starting to sound like AROS. To dedicate all efforts in getting games to run or run better, and having something to browse the web with. For us creative guys this isn't enough.

Anyhow the last I checked the Browser is pretty much a one man job. Seems to me (wireless aside) that the network stack is pretty damn good on MorphOS, so how could that require so much of the teams time and energy?

3D seems alright to me on MorphOS. Sure we don't have support for super high end cards and the ability to play DOOM 3 and what have you, but again, I don't care atm. I'm not pressed to play any more games, and besides, AROS already provides in that area.

What we need an a next Gen Amiga OS that is willing to continue to work out backwards compatibility issues (as a main priority), has Wireless support (AROS actually does have that but they have no wireless manager, irony of ironies), and we need USB that ain't stuck in the far past. We need cheap means to expand our hardware of choice and should not be forced to buy a different machine or OS for each task.

I would look into OS 4 as a solution as it seems to have support for some of these things, but alas I hear it is not quite as good under the hood, nor is it cheap to run.

BTW, I can sample on my Atari 8-bit (maybe not my C64), I do have MIDI on my C64, and I can do both on a 500, if I had one, but since I have a 600's and 1200's, I use them instead. ;)

Quote from: itix;700837
I remember (this was about 10 years ago) when MorphOS didnt have 3D acceleration for Radeon cards there was somebody yelling how MorphOS could be taken seriously without 3D... to some user other things are more important that others.

Neither my Amiga 500 or Commodore 64 support sound sampling or MIDI... :P as far as USB isochronous transfer support is concerned it is not something that very often. Anyway, I have no idea if isochronous transfer will be supported. It would be nice to have so Poseidon support would be complete but it is not my job.

Anyway, at least you have raised the issue. If nobody ever ask then nobody care...

Edit

For Maestrix emulation have you tried this:

http://aminet.net/package/util/libs/TheMaestrix

I dont have OctaMED SS so I cant try it out (and you probably already tried it?). If it doesnt work I dont know if there is something else blocking OctaMED SS but again... I never had that program.

To use MIDI you would need a computer with old style serial port (Pegasos 1/2 or Efika ?), it certainly is supported in MorphOS but to my understanding MIDI via USB would require isochronous support... so it comes back to USB then.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 08:07:54 PM by XDelusion »
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline drHirudo

• Show only replies by drHirudo
    • http://hirudov.com
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2012, 07:19:23 PM »

USB2MIDI cable costs $5. MIDI is very old standard and almost any computer I have seen supports in one way or another. Microsoft tried to ditch it in Windows 7 but it still works with simple configuration hack.

Here is my AmigaOne controling KORG PA50 via MIDI. Using CAMD library.
[youtube]YKzZ79TLzs8[/youtube]
If isochronous suppot means being able to play while it performs - then it works nice.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2012, 07:30:04 PM »
Quote from: drHirudo;700921
USB2MIDI cable costs $5. MIDI is very old standard and almost any computer I have seen supports in one way or another. Microsoft tried to ditch it in Windows 7 but it still works with simple configuration hack.

Here is my AmigaOne controling KORG PA50 via MIDI. Using CAMD library.
[youtube]YKzZ79TLzs8[/youtube]
If isochronous suppot means being able to play while it performs - then it works nice.

I can install Camd library and get Hd-Rec to load, but this far none of the USB midi devices I've tested were properly handled by MorphOS.

Which model did you use?
P.s. Have not been able to watch your video yet, bandwidth is too lOw here.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 07:58:22 PM by XDelusion »
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline drHirudo

« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2012, 07:39:24 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;700922
I cn install Camd library and get Hd-Rec to lpad, but this far none of the USB midi devices I've tested were properly handled by MorphOS.

Which model did you use?
P.s. Have not been able to watch your video yet, bandwidth is too lOw here.

I use simple, cheap USB2MIDI cable off ebay for $5. It has MIDI in and out. I installed the CAMD library, set the synth to be controlled by external sequencer and then all the tools included with camd worked. Even the simple MIDI player I downloaded from OS4Depot written in Blitz BASIC works. Horny works too. MIDI works nice on my Amiga.
On this video the sound from the synth is too loud and little distorted. I learned my lesson and in my newer videos I set it to be on lower volume.

One of the utilities included with CAMD library shows the keys pressed on the synth, or the sequences send to the synth - something like the old EDPlayer on classic Amigas. Very useful and helping for learning songs and performances.
Pure asynchronous play.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2012, 08:01:37 PM »
Nice!!!

Problem though, all my USB midI adapters came from EBay. Can you post a pic of the exact one you used? If I can get MIDI to work on MorphOS, then I can find a work around for recording audio since USB sound cards are neglectfully out of the question...

I mean regretfully. ;)

Offline drHirudo

« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2012, 08:35:23 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;700924
Nice!!!

Problem though, all my USB midI adapters came from EBay. Can you post a pic of the exact one you used? If I can get MIDI to work on MorphOS, then I can find a work around for recording audio since USB sound cards are neglectfully out of the question...

I mean regretfully. ;)

I just recorded another video - I am showing the USB2MIDI cable in it.
[youtube]ufc-iKS3GbM[/youtube]

Almost dropped the synth on the floor, again, while trying to lift it to show in the video. I realized at the end, it's easier to move the camcorder and show the synth than moving the synth. Oh well, the sound turned to be loud again, but I was trying to mute the noisy fan of my AmigaONE PSU.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2012, 08:51:05 PM »
Thank you, though the video was REALLY dark. I could not see the device clearly, but from what I did see, it looks like what I have...

...the device that MorphOS (for what ever reason) did not play friendly with.

Hmmm... now that I have a new machine and MorphOS has been updated, perhaps I should give it one more go. If it don't work I'll be back to moan. ;)

BTW, here's a couple videos I did about a month ago on my 1200 (before I put the 060 back in it).

OctaMED Sound Studio MicroKorg and XR20 MIDI. Tutorial Pt1

[Youtube]15NRcZD_d-w[/youtube]

OctaMED Sound Studio MicroKorg and XR20 MIDI. Tutorial Pt2

[Youtube]hXPhY9K1d34[/youtube]

Quote from: drHirudo;700926
I just recorded another video - I am showing the USB2MIDI cable in it.
[youtube]ufc-iKS3GbM[/youtube]

P.S. Ya, don't drop that synth!!!! ;)

Almost dropped the synth on the floor, again, while trying to lift it to show in the video. I realized at the end, it's easier to move the camcorder and show the synth than moving the synth. Oh well, the sound turned to be loud again, but I was trying to mute the noisy fan of my AmigaONE PSU.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2012, 08:56:09 PM »
Oh, look what OS 4 users get...

http://aminet.net/package/driver/other/usbmidi

I bet that has something to do with something. They even got a native port of the library. Sighh...

Someone please come to my rescue, I need your coding skillz!!! :) If I was not currently jobless and near broke, I'd start a bounty as you know I've contributed to bounties in the past. Honestly, I'm not just a moaning bastard! I have supported the community in my own little way, please help!!!! :)

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2012, 12:11:11 AM »
but to my understanding MIDI via USB would require isochronous support... so it comes back to USB then.

That's not the case. usb midi uses _bulk_ transfers. But requires a working usb streaming class. The ammount of data is rather small, hence no isochronous transfer is required (isochronous is only indicated when precise timing AND high throughput come together). For midi the high throughput is not the case. usb midi is well defined in the usb specs - compare http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/midi10.pdf

I could imagine not too much effort is needed to make midi work well on MorphOS.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2012, 12:35:59 AM »
While we are having a good whinge about MOS i thought i would add my own. When i start up MOS my monitor has to adjust itself which takes longer than it does to load up. This means by the time my monitor starts displaying properly the Ambient screen is already up. Which means i miss the splash screen completely. I know this is something trivial but it matters because it is cool as **** (the blue butterfly) and this is important when showing my friends MOS for the first time. Any ideas how to fix this problem?
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline kolla

« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2012, 12:52:40 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;700954
Any ideas how to fix this problem?

Buy a new monitor? :)
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2012, 01:29:42 AM »
It's brand new!
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2012, 03:54:14 AM »
What model do you got?