Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alas, I come to complain about MorphOS  (Read 19299 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Alas, I come to complain about MorphOS
« on: July 16, 2012, 11:45:31 PM »
As many of you know, I swear by MorphOS. I just LOVE it!!!!

I had an eMac which died on me, and I have been without MorphOS for months now and was very excited to get back to work on some of my audio projects.

I was one of the few who registered Audio Evolution back before it became free.

Also I was hyped about the upcoming release of DigiBooster 3, not to mention the announcement that HD-Rec was supposed to receive and update.

Well I finally have something to complain about. I will make a long story short and just say that I am now jobless, I have to move, and I do not have time or money to mess around with getting another Mac. I had ordered a Mac Mini, but got an intel instead of a G4, so I returned it and ordered another one as the MorphOS team told me they would transfer the license from my dead eMac (very kind of them).

Well, I finally get my G4 Mac Mini, and I'm all excited about transfering the license, installing my audio software and this and that, but...

Well first off, no one has contact me about my license, but sometimes that takes a while so I'm still working with MorphOS in 30 minute increments. No biggy though, I'm sure they are busy, I can wait a few more hours.

What really ticks me off though is that I come to realize (too late) that Mac, being all artistic and innovative as they are, decided to save a penny and not include a Line-in port.

Go figure!!! I bet all those Gargeband users are just psyched about that!!!

Well OS X users do not have to worry, they can use USB audio devices to resolve this issue, but MorphOS on the other hand, in all it's glory, is no better than AROS, Classic Amiga, or OS 4 when it comes to their USB stack....

Out of all the Alt Amiga OS's I figured that the MorphOS team would have put the USB stack as a priority in their development, after all there is HD-Rec, there are a couple of us who registered Audio Evolution for $75 bucks (if memory serves correctly), and there is soon to be Digi Booster 3 on the way, but hey...

...guess what? If you are a Mac Mini user, you are screwed because no one seemed to think that Trident with all its limitations deserved an update.

What the heck man?!?!?!?

I have always been a major MorphOS supporter, at least since I first fired it up and realized how very advanced it was and how the dev team seemed to have their priorities straight, but this is just a slap in the face.

Just wanted to moan a little, stick a fork in me.

BTW, I am greatful to the MorphOS team to offering to transfer my key rather than charge me more money to support a another machine. And I do still love MorphOS, but this is just a major let down, I don't know why one of the coolest OS's in the world has to neglect such an important feature.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline kolla

Re: Alas, I come to complain about MorphOS
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 12:34:17 AM »
I don't understand, there are no USB recorders that work with MorphOS, is that what you're complaining about?
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 01:03:05 AM »
The whole situation.

A: That I first got an intel Mac, had to ship that back, then wait longer for a PPC Mac propper.
 This of course has nothing to do with the MorphOS team, but it added to my frustration seeing as I was psyched to replace my dead eMac and take advantage of all the new features of MorphOS 3.1

B: The fact that Apple insists that they are so artistic and innovative. That they sell a piece of software for musicians called Garage Band, and yet....

...with their smallest most space friendly model, which you would think would be perfect for musicians, they fail to include an audio in port. I wonder how much that saved them? 2 cents?!?!
 OS X users can of course buy a cheap USB sound card and problem solved, but still that is lame.

C: The fact that the MorphOS team, as good as they seem to be about support and taking care of priorities...

...you know those things that are essential for a modern OS experience....

...seem to have failed to so much as touch Trident and expand upon the USB capabilities.

Everyone knows that there are multiple audio app options for MorphOS, some of those options are commercial or used to be, like the copy of Audio Evolution that I paid for for my old dead eMac, and yet, NOTHING has been done to improve Trident so we can start using USB sound cards. As a matter of fact, to the best of my knowledge, no effort has been put forth to add support for CAMD and USB MIDI devices either.

So for me, that is a major slap in the face. I was eager to use this, but now find that even though MorphOS has updated from version 2.7 to 3.1, that NOTHING has been done to prepare for the Hd-Rec updates, the new release of Digibooster 3 (which is commercial btw), or Audio Evolution, which again I paid for back in the day.

Nope, us Mac Mini users end up with an OS that runs great and does it all, but don't expect to use your basic Audio software to record into your machine because...

...well apparently in a USB world, USB is not a priority.

So far people have told me to dual boot into OS X as a solution, which again I find lame. The idea is to use MoprhOS and MorphOS alone!

Some people have suggested that I sell the Mac Mini and buy a tower, but I have no job, have to move soon, and basically do not have time or money to keep buying new systems, and besides a tower takes up too  much space, the Mac Min is perfect in size and would fit in nicely with my recording studio, but again, providig propper support for the apps on one's own OS doe not seem to be a priority.

To think of the things I could do if I could just use a USB audio device like nearly every other OS in the world, but alas, I have to be stuck with a USB system designed for a limited 68k machine. LAME LAME LAME!!!

If I had money I'd start a bounty (I've always donated to bounty's before), but again, I'm between jobs. I was hoping this would just be ready by now and I could use what I paid for. :/
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline kolla

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 01:12:50 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;700354
NOTHING has been done to improve Trident so we can start using USB sound cards.

Ah, so there's your complaint :)

Trying to use MorphOS for music production is a waste of time, you should have kept the Intel mini, and just used UAE for the occational use of Amiga software.
---
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 01:50:17 AM »
Quote from: kolla;700355
Ah, so there's your complaint :)

Trying to use MorphOS for music production is a waste of time, you should have kept the Intel mini, and just used UAE for the occational use of Amiga software.

BLASPHEMY!!!!! You speak BLASPHEMY!!! :)

I would use my AROS machine for the job, but you know those Sound Blaster lives that AROS is supposed to support so well?

Well guess what, they only record static when I have them installed on my AROS machine, on my Windows machine they record perfectly. Sad sad sad.

But anyhow, NO UAE! That's just sick man!

Offline djos

• Show only replies by djos
    • http://users.adam.com.au/djorlc/
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 01:58:55 AM »
XD, have you considered trying a Firewire Audio Interface like this one from Behringer:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHFCA202

Firewire devices can frequently work without drivers and may "just work" ... for $79.99 it's a small outlay and you can always ask if they'll let you return it if it doesnt work? (seeing as you are in between jobs and all).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1220 16Mhz 128MB w/ RTC, 4GB CF-HDD, Roland MT-32 MIDI Synthesiser
Amiga 500 w/ KS2.05, 1Mb Chip-Ram, CF-IDE w/4MB Fast-Ram, FDD Boot Selector, HxC RevC Floppy emulator
Commodore 64 w/ 1541 Ultimate-II inc Tape Adapter, JiffyDOS, 1541 Disk Drive, 1531 Datasette, Flyer Net Modem

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 02:07:02 AM »
Someone brought those up in MorphOS zone, but when I say I'm between jobs, that means pretty damn broke unfortunatlely. :/

I'd rather that support for my $4.00 Hong Kong USB Sound Card be added instead. It doesn't need drivers either. Works perfectly fine under Windows and OS X, but...

...I don't want to use those OS's. Everything must be Amiga centric!!! :)

Quote from: djos;700362
XD, have you considered trying a Firewire Audio Interface like this one from Behringer:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHFCA202

Firewire devices can frequently work without drivers and may "just work" ... for $79.99 it's a small outlay and you can always ask if they'll let you return it if it doesnt work? (seeing as you are in between jobs and all).

Offline djos

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 02:22:13 AM »
Fair enuf, it must be tuff being out of work! I'd be royally screwed (big mortgage, no savings!) :nervous:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1220 16Mhz 128MB w/ RTC, 4GB CF-HDD, Roland MT-32 MIDI Synthesiser
Amiga 500 w/ KS2.05, 1Mb Chip-Ram, CF-IDE w/4MB Fast-Ram, FDD Boot Selector, HxC RevC Floppy emulator
Commodore 64 w/ 1541 Ultimate-II inc Tape Adapter, JiffyDOS, 1541 Disk Drive, 1531 Datasette, Flyer Net Modem

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 02:23:43 AM »
Quote from: djos;700364
Fair enuf, it must be tuff being out of work! I'd be royally screwed (big mortgage, no savings!) :nervous:

Ya, I could have worse problems...

...I mean I do, but nothing too pressing I guess. I'll survive.

Offline kolla

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 02:27:36 AM »
Do recordings on your phone or whatever and transfer the files to your mac for editing.
---
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 02:34:04 AM »
There are always work arounds...

I'm going to have to keep my PeeSea tower in my set up for now. Then later when I get back to work I'll probably just buy a second machine for MorphOS and register a second copy because...

I REALLY wanted to run MoprhOS on a compact Mac MINI, it would have went well amongst all my gear, but now I think in the future I will have a smaller Mac Tower amongst that gear instead. Until then...

It's all Windows for the recording side of things. The upsdie at least is that my Amiga 1200 will still be controlling the MIDI side of things. Half way there... :)

Offline Rob

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 02:34:13 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;700354
The whole situation.

B: The fact that Apple insists that they are so artistic and innovative. That they sell a piece of software for musicians called Garage Band, and yet....

...with their smallest most space friendly model, which you would think would be perfect for musicians, they fail to include an audio in port. I wonder how much that saved them? 2 cents?!?!

Why build something in when you can sell an expensive proprietary accessory lead instead.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 02:39:48 AM »
Ya no doubt.

Quote from: Rob;700369
Why build something in when you can sell an expensive proprietary accessory lead instead.

Offline djos

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 02:40:30 AM »
Quote from: Rob;700369
Apple have fixed this omission in the Intel mac Mini's, they now have:

Audio line in minijack (digital/analog)
Audio line out/headphone minijack (digital/analog)

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 02:51:46 AM »
I noticed that! :)

The Intel Mac that the guy on Ebay shipped me by mistake had one, so I expected this model to have one...

No such luck!!!

I'd take time here to threaten Mr. Job's life, but...

Nature already beat me to it.

May he rest in peace.