Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I received mac mini and installed MorphOS  (Read 11056 times)

Description:

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
Re: I received mac mini and installed MorphOS
« Reply #29 from previous page: June 14, 2012, 03:39:09 AM »
[@smerf    shut up moron]

The only morons here are the ones using MACs on the Amiga boards.
Don't you all know the difference between a MAC and an Amiga. The MAC is the small little piece of junk that can't even find a right place home, like in the rotten Apple Core computer section, so it lets some sleaze bags sneak it on the Amiga boards.

Oh my Apple this, my Apple that, My Apple is rotten to the core.
If you are all excited with the Mac running MorpOS why don't you morph over to your own board and brag about it there, maybe someone who knows nothing about computers will listen to you all.

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline smerf

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2012, 03:41:41 AM »
Quote from: Motormouth;688903
Which is better for MorphOS
A Power mac FW800 MDD with dual 1.42 GHz processors
or a 1.5 Ghz Mac Mini?

Can MorphOS use dual processors?  In theory AmigaOS should, as it is preemptively multitasks.   However I have never seen dual processors implemented in AmigaOS that way.

@motormouth,

I would try a trash can first.

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2012, 03:46:17 AM »
I don't understand the hating on morphos.

The decision to port to mac in my opinion was brilliant. Why? Because they had a power pc OS with no more custom (pegasos) hw being produced.

g4 Macs are cheap and extremely plentiful, as is spare parts for them.

If you want to spend 1500$ on 10 year old spec hw just so your os says amiga os go ahead, some people are fine with a very amiga like os on a 50$ mac thats faster than most Os4 hw....

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2012, 03:48:43 AM »
MOS on a Mac is every bit as Amiga like as a SAM running AOS 4.1 is.

Is MOS on an Efika considered kosher by your standards, and therefore "Amiga"?

Is that Apple logo the only dis-qualifier in your definition of "Amiga"?  Is a Peg running MOS and AOS not an Amiga?  I mean, if I gutted a Mac Mini, put it in a new case, removed all traces of "Evil Apple" and I told you it was running on a Peg or Efika, would *THAT* be kosher?  You wouldn't know the difference :)

Really man, it's an Apple logo.  Don't lose sleep over it, lol.  Personally I find Apple to make rock solid hardware, if a bit expensive at initial launch.

MOS and PPC Mac's serve a very valuable and economical entry point into getting people back into the Amiga (or Amiga like, if you prefer) scene, whether you want to admit it or not.

Offline smerf

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2012, 03:56:23 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;696318
I don't understand the hating on morphos.

The decision to port to mac in my opinion was brilliant. Why? Because they had a power pc OS with no more custom (pegasos) hw being produced.

g4 Macs are cheap and extremely plentiful, as is spare parts for them.

If you want to spend 1500$ on 10 year old spec hw just so your os says amiga os go ahead, some people are fine with a very amiga like os on a 50$ mac thats faster than most Os4 hw....

I don't hate MorphOS, it is a super emulator for a MAC, just like Cloanto's Amiga Forever is a super emulator for a windows machine. It is just that I wouldn't contaminate my hands by touching a MAC. It would be like touching a pile of dog poo, and the smell of a MAC just makes me want to throw up.

smerf

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2012, 04:10:39 AM »
Smerf,

I suppose I used to feel that way about macs, especially pre osx macs. I thought pre osx macs were the biggest piles of **** ever.

What? No multitasking? Come on man, even windows did that in 1992. (of course amiga did this in 1985!

Back to macs...
The hw was fast enough to multitask but the os was such a pile of ****. I used to laugh at the idiots paying huge money for them.

I have to say though, the HARDWARE of the models they made for osx are beautifully made. Osx though? Not a fan, used linux for years to me its retarded someone paying such huge money to basically run a prettied up linux distro. (I know its not based on linux but its so similar its funny)

If you actually look at the enginnering, the construction of a powermac g4, mac mini, cube g4 and even the g4 emacs, you see they are pretty well made. Myself? I like the hw, but think osx is bloated and over hyped. Take that hw and put morphos on it, and I think its a good reason to buy that nice hw...

Offline smerf

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2012, 04:48:03 AM »
@haywirepc,

Looked at the mini Macs, but still can't see investing in a dead system, for the past 5 years I have watched MorphOS, AROS, etc. but I have to go with a system that is going to have software made for it in the future. I don't want to buy a box just to run an OS, I want to be sure that software is going to be made for it, advancements to the hardware can be made etc.
I hate windows, but if I want to play games then windows I must have, I wouldn't trust windows with any real data that I wanted to keep. Know to many people that have lost there huge music library using windows, I keep mine on Linux, haven't lost anything in 6 years, Linux almost compares to the Amiga, but it is harder to use and understand, but it is easy to backup your data, even though during the last 6 years I really didn't need a backup.
MorphOS needs to morph into a more stable, advanced, and go forward system for me to get interested in it. Linux has programs, windows has programs, Amiga had programs.

We need more people programming in order to stabilize the community. Right now we are all going in several different directions. We need to concentrate in one direction and develope it.

smerf

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2012, 06:10:57 AM »
Quote from: WeiXing3D;696295
I am considering to make the same move. Provided that someon already has a Mac Mini G4, besides MorphOS what else is needed to make it work as an Amiga PPC?

MorphOS can run Amiga software out of the box. There are also PowerUp, WarpUp and Warp3D compatibility layers so you can run old Amiga PPC software there.

But it cant run anything on Mac mini that would hit the hardware directly and you might experience compatibility problems with some old software.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline pVC

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2012, 06:32:59 AM »
Quote from: smerf;688924
Another traitor to the Amiga, have you tried printing a picture yet, bet you can't do it, what sort or SPECIAL PRINTER do you need to print with.

Have you tried recording audio, or how about using Kindle to read a book?
Bet you can't play Windows games.

Can you buy new software for it at the local software store or Steam?

How is using Windows less traitor than using AmigaOS compatible OS?
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2012, 06:52:57 AM »
Quote from: pVC;696338
How is using Windows less traitor than using AmigaOS compatible OS?

Please don't feed the troll.