Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I received mac mini and installed MorphOS  (Read 11103 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
Re: I received mac mini and installed MorphOS
« on: April 15, 2012, 05:14:45 PM »
The $5 NEC USB card is a big improvement over a USB hub. First, its USB 2.0, second some (like the one I have) have an internal connector as well as the connectors on the back of the card.

And MorphOS does feel very Amiga-like. After thinking about it, I decided to pick up Hyperion's ports of HereticII and QuakeII as they will run under MorphOS.

I've already moved to and R360 based video card (and await hardware accelerated 3D drivers). I've also ordered an SIL3512 based SATA disk controller card for MorphOS 3.0.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 05:59:41 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;688617
You mean this one? :)

Absolutely!
But why should we limit ourselves to Morphzone when our OS will run so many Amiga titles?

But we should post our topic here.

http://www.amiga.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 11:54:36 AM »
Quote from: Motormouth;688903
Which is better for MorphOS
A Power mac FW800 MDD with dual 1.42 GHz processors
or a 1.5 Ghz Mac Mini?

Can MorphOS use dual processors?  In theory AmigaOS should, as it is preemptively multitasks.   However I have never seen dual processors implemented in AmigaOS that way.

No SMP support in Amiga (or Amiga like) OS' yet. Although MorphOS' kernel can support more then one processor.

A dual FW800 1.42 GHz Powermac is better then a 1.5 GHz Mac Mini because the Powermac uses a 7455 processor with an L3 cache and the Mac Mini uses a 7447 processor with no L3 cache.
Also, you can expand a Powermac in ways you can't a Mac Mini (better video cards, sound cards, USB 2.0 cards, and once 3.0 is released SATA cards).

Quote from: kickstart;688958
@smerf
shut up moron
:razz:

Hey Smerf,
I use an HP inkjet printer with MorphOS.
It works fine and it was cheap.
Many of the printers supported by MorphOS can be had on Ebay. Some starting at about $25.

Its a lot easier then finding a printer that supports legacy Amigas.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 02:16:30 PM by Iggy »

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 02:15:50 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;689024
Not in a foreseeable future, that's for sure. Probably never. And if it *will* happen, I guess the prices on G5 machines will have dropped even further by then.

Go for a Mac Mini, PowerMac G4 or why not a PowerBook of the right model instead, keep away from the G5! :)

While we disagree on the need for a G5 port, I think we're both in agreement on this.
Never buy a piece of hardware for MorphOS unless support for it has been announced.