Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I received mac mini and installed MorphOS  (Read 11114 times)

Description:

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show all replies
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
Re: I received mac mini and installed MorphOS
« on: April 15, 2012, 05:21:23 PM »
Glad to hear you are enjoying it!

Offline Duce

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 02:32:30 AM »
Quote from: WeiXing3D;696295
I am considering to make the same move. Provided that someon already has a Mac Mini G4, besides MorphOS what else is needed to make it work as an Amiga PPC? My intention is to be able to run AmigaOS 4.1, but I'd also love to play and use classic Amiga software. Is the late even possible?

MorphOS and Amiga OS 4.1 have nothing to do with each other, other than being Amiga like next gen OS's that both run on PPC machines.  MOS will run on the old PPC Mac's, Amiga OS 4.x will not (officially, anyways).  If you wanted to run both I guess you could track down a Peg or something.

MOS supports a fair bit of legacy 68k software out of the box, but for a good chunk of it, like games, you will likely need to use an emulator.  OS4 is the same in this regard, and the process is sort of hit or miss, IMO.  Fact is neither the Mac's with MOS, or the SAM/A1/1000x/etc have the original Amiga custom chips on them, so if programs are looking to bang hardware directly, emulation is usually the only solution.

You'd be sorely disappointed in either solution if it was your intent to only run Amiga legacy apps/games, since you can emulate old HW on a commodity PC for free really via UAE.

Offline Duce

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 03:48:43 AM »
MOS on a Mac is every bit as Amiga like as a SAM running AOS 4.1 is.

Is MOS on an Efika considered kosher by your standards, and therefore "Amiga"?

Is that Apple logo the only dis-qualifier in your definition of "Amiga"?  Is a Peg running MOS and AOS not an Amiga?  I mean, if I gutted a Mac Mini, put it in a new case, removed all traces of "Evil Apple" and I told you it was running on a Peg or Efika, would *THAT* be kosher?  You wouldn't know the difference :)

Really man, it's an Apple logo.  Don't lose sleep over it, lol.  Personally I find Apple to make rock solid hardware, if a bit expensive at initial launch.

MOS and PPC Mac's serve a very valuable and economical entry point into getting people back into the Amiga (or Amiga like, if you prefer) scene, whether you want to admit it or not.