Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I received mac mini and installed MorphOS  (Read 11009 times)

Description:

Offline AmigaClassicRuleTopic starter

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
I received mac mini and installed MorphOS
« on: April 15, 2012, 07:48:44 AM »
I have just one thing to say, i received the mac mini and did a fresh installation of MorphOS and one thing I have to say about this OS is this:

:knuddel::knuddel::knuddel::knuddel::knuddel::knuddel::knuddel::knuddel::knuddel::knuddel::knuddel::knuddel::knuddel:

I LOVE IT! I love the sexy blue look, the feel, the speed, performance, the simplicity and the fact it have My MorphOS like My Computer in Windows XP and above.

I finally was able to watch a movie on an Amiga and I have to say this, I treat MorphOS as a real Amiga as I would treat my Amiga 1200. And I believe MorphOS is as real of an Amiga as AmigaOS 4.1 is an AmigaOS. I love the operating system and I personally feel it is a serious OS not just a toy.  

The only downside I have with it is that there is no laptop version of MorphOS and it is restricted to Mac Mini G4 PPC. Now if the intention is never to migrate it to x86 I am not going to complain all I ask is that migrate it to PPC G5, where a 550 dollars worth of the old Macintosh desktop G5 with duo-co processor and can have 16 Gb of RAM and it is a desktop PC where I can upgrade it with expansions instead of the restrictions of Mac Mini G4.

But personally I want it for the laptop, at the end of the month I am going to register MorphOS and become a long term MorphOS user.

Offline pVC

Re: I received mac mini and installed MorphOS
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 08:18:30 AM »
Good to hear you like it and I agree with your feelings :)

But it isn't restricted just to Mac mini G4, there's support for PowerMac G4 (more expandable towers), eMac (1.25GHz), Pegasos I & II (expandable) and Efika too.

And next version of MorphOS will work on PowerBook G4/1.67GHz laptops too!
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 09:13:32 AM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;688569
:knuddel::knuddel::knuddel::knuddel::knuddel::knuddel::knuddel::knuddel::knuddel::knuddel::knuddel::knuddel::knuddel:

I LOVE IT!

Welcome to the club! :)

The Mac Mini is very sexy HW! So small and good looking, yet about as powerful as PPC based HW gets! And with MorphOS it is awesome! :D
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 09:50:35 AM »
Have morphos installed on a PowerMac G4 1GHz DP quicksilver. With a little help here and on Morphzone I've installed an SB live card/pack ultimate and grunch, just waiting on my USB card (taking forever!) so I can have more than two USB.

About a month in using Morphos the OS works great, but haven't used it for awhile have been tinkering with my WinUAE box. Can't wait for MorphOS 3.0.

Anyway welcome to the club :-)
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline pVC

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 10:19:38 AM »
Quote from: Lurch;688576
Have morphos installed on a PowerMac G4 1GHz DP quicksilver. With a little help here and on Morphzone I've installed an SB live card/pack ultimate and grunch, just waiting on my USB card (taking forever!) so I can have more than two USB.

Why you just don't use USB hub(s) meanwhile/instead? There's cheap hubs everywhere or if you want cleaner solution there are monitors with usb hub (I love those) or even some Mac keyboards with hubs.
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 10:42:14 AM »
Quote from: pVC;688584
Why you just don't use USB hub(s) meanwhile/instead? There's cheap hubs everywhere or if you want cleaner solution there are monitors with usb hub (I love those) or even some Mac keyboards with hubs.

$5 US including shipping for a 5 port USB PCI card? Cheap, clean and tidy no silly hub on the desk :-)

Have a monitor with a USB hub/card reader built in but it's not for my MorphOS box and it costs more than $5 ;-)

As for using a Mac keyboard ugh, bad enough using a Mac machine. Also most good PC keyboards have USB hubs too :-)
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline Dragster

• Show only replies by Dragster
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 02:43:13 PM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;688569
I have just one thing to say, i received the mac mini and did a fresh installation of MorphOS and one thing I have to say about this OS is this:

I LOVE IT! I love the sexy blue look, the feel, the speed, performance, the simplicity and the fact it have My MorphOS like My Computer in Windows XP and above.

I finally was able to watch a movie on an Amiga and I have to say this, I treat MorphOS as a real Amiga as I would treat my Amiga 1200. And I believe MorphOS is as real of an Amiga as AmigaOS 4.1 is an AmigaOS. I love the operating system and I personally feel it is a serious OS not just a toy.  

The only downside I have with it is that there is no laptop version of MorphOS and it is restricted to Mac Mini G4 PPC. Now if the intention is never to migrate it to x86 I am not going to complain all I ask is that migrate it to PPC G5, where a 550 dollars worth of the old Macintosh desktop G5 with duo-co processor and can have 16 Gb of RAM and it is a desktop PC where I can upgrade it with expansions instead of the restrictions of Mac Mini G4.

But personally I want it for the laptop, at the end of the month I am going to register MorphOS and become a long term MorphOS user.

Welcome aboard. MorphOS is great and it's about to get even better when MorphOS 3.0 is released. I have a Powerbook G4 1139 desperately waiting for it :D

Cheers,
Dragster.
Amiga 1200T 603/240, 060/50, SCSI II, Plextor 40/12/40S SCSI CDRW, Plextor 40X SCSI CDROM, Fujitsu 36GB 10KRPM SCSI HD, Pioneer 305S SCSI DVD, BVisionPPC, 256 MB FASTRAM, PowerFlyer EIDE, Scandex external scandoubler, ZIV busboard, Algor USB, Wireless, repulse audio...Peg II Quadruple boot: OS4.1FE/MorphOS 3.9 regged, OpenSUSE11.1 & Debian Squeeze, Powerbook G4 1139 MorphOS3.9, A4000D CSPPC/PIV/DENEB OS3.9/4.1FE, A4000T CSPPC/CVPPC/SCSI, etc.. 2

Offline AmigaClassicRuleTopic starter

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 04:51:43 PM »
Quote from: Dragster;688606
Welcome aboard. MorphOS is great and it's about to get even better when MorphOS 3.0 is released. I have a Powerbook G4 1139 desperately waiting for it :D

Cheers,
Dragster.

I want to thank you all for your welcome response :D I am so excited to hear that will be a laptop port of MorphOS I believe in the laptop version is where I would REALLY love using it. I can take my laptop around, listen to MP3, watch videos, chat live, checking email and all of this would give me great pleasure doing it through MorphOS more than any other OS. And who knows perhaps when I am sitting on the buss and someone looks at my shoulder and see MorphOS and they find this sexy system they start asking what it is and perhaps they will download the trail version and who knows my become another MorphOS user.

My biggest dream or looking forward that MorphOS becomes as big as Mac OS X and have as much as software library as MacOS X with all the essential programs and games....then I can easily say the alternative to Windows is MorphOS and not Linux or Mac.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 05:14:45 PM »
The $5 NEC USB card is a big improvement over a USB hub. First, its USB 2.0, second some (like the one I have) have an internal connector as well as the connectors on the back of the card.

And MorphOS does feel very Amiga-like. After thinking about it, I decided to pick up Hyperion's ports of HereticII and QuakeII as they will run under MorphOS.

I've already moved to and R360 based video card (and await hardware accelerated 3D drivers). I've also ordered an SIL3512 based SATA disk controller card for MorphOS 3.0.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 05:21:23 PM »
Glad to hear you are enjoying it!

Offline Nicsoft

• Show only replies by Nicsoft
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 05:46:43 PM »
Maybe there is enough MorphOS users out there now (?) to start up a MorphOS User-Forum (intstad of having to post on Amiga-Forums)!?

For example: http://www.morph.org

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 05:49:55 PM »
Quote from: Nicsoft;688615
Maybe there is enough MorphOS users out there now (?) to start up a MorphOS User-Forum (intstad of having to post on Amiga-Forums)!?

For example: http://www.morph.org

You mean this one? :)

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 05:59:41 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;688617
You mean this one? :)

Absolutely!
But why should we limit ourselves to Morphzone when our OS will run so many Amiga titles?

But we should post our topic here.

http://www.amiga.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 06:02:15 PM »
@AmigaClassicRule

Congrats, glad to hear you're enjoying it. I also agree about it being as amiga as OS4.x. In my humble opinion anything post AOS3.x (AROS/MOS/OS4.x) is equally "amiga", all different perspectives/methods of building the great foundations set by 3.x. Even though amiga os and derivitives are a little dated in some ways there's some great ideas and features that are definately worth preserving and advancing so I for one are happy that there's 3 different ongoing efforts to do so.

@Nicsoft

There's Morphzone.org, which is what youre asking about I think :)
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 06:11:56 PM »
Welcome aboard! :)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs