Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Commodore USA's new Amiga and OS  (Read 11644 times)

Description:

Offline WarPiperTopic starter

• Show only replies by WarPiper
Commodore USA's new Amiga and OS
« on: March 20, 2012, 07:23:30 PM »
Ok, so it has been years since I have last posted to Amiga.org, after hearing about and seeing the new Commodore 64 on you tube, then actually seeing a official Commodore website where I can actually purchase one, I nearly lost control of myself.  I was excited and even looked up the address on google and seen the store front of the company with the Commodore logo.  I had to make a call, this being about a month ago, I can remember his name, but we spoke about the Commodore 64 and (what I really wanted to talk about) the new line of Amiga computers that which he said were slated for this year.

I was told that the new Amiga will be a intel pc motherboard with a Linux OS, the first thought that came to my mind is a new commodore 64 in a Amiga badged case with the same open source, freely redistributable unbunto operating system that I have running along side my mac OSX and windows on my tri-boot mac.  

I am going to buy the new Amiga anyway to support Commodore, but I remember the Commodore Amiga being something different, like OSX is different from Windows, I don't feel anything is different with this flavor of linux. With evolution I understand that we can not stand still in the past with the old Amiga OS, but I do hope that an original operating system will be released giving the new Commodore Amiga the fresh breath of life that it deserves, rather than a stale billowed puff of air from a moldy bagpipe bag.
There was a time I can remember computers were fun...I miss my A1200.

Offline Ral-Clan

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
Re: Commodore USA's new Amiga and OS
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 07:32:20 PM »
Me smells a troll...
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

Offline number6

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 07:40:17 PM »
Quote from: ral-clan;684516
Me smells a troll...

Regardless, I expect the thread will move soon to the CommodoreUSA Amiga forum

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 08:12:30 PM »
Agreed. I thought that was the whole reason for having the Commodore USA sub forum anyway. Plus I am sure CUSA will be releasing a press statement soon regarding their products.

Offline number6

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 08:20:46 PM »
Quote from: CritAnime;684527
Agreed. I thought that was the whole reason for having the Commodore USA sub forum anyway. Plus I am sure CUSA will be releasing a press statement soon regarding their products.

"CommodoreUSA Amiga
Discussions of all things dealing with CommodoreUSA's Amigas"

That's really not entirely accurate either, as it includes discussion of the products strictly Commodore branded.

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 08:23:34 PM »
Quote from: ral-clan;684516
Me smells a troll...

That's some real planning ahead then, as WarPiper joined in 2002 and has over 350 posts...

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 08:24:08 PM »
Quote from: CritAnime;684527

Dammy has already posted a (badly) faked photoshopped picture of what is supposed to be a real "C-USA Amiga" box on AW.net.  The cropping is so obvious that it is laughable, but then we're getting used to the cut & paste photographs.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 08:25:59 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;684531
That's some real planning ahead then, as WarPiper joined in 2002 and has over 350 posts...

Trolls don't need to be new members.  We have some here that joined as late as 2006.  ;)
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline CritAnime

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 09:20:50 PM »
Quote from: Darrin;684533
Dammy has already posted a (badly) faked photoshopped picture of what is supposed to be a real "C-USA Amiga" box on AW.net. The cropping is so obvious that it is laughable, but then we're getting used to the cut & paste photographs.

It's a few weeks old now. Put it this way we have already been through all this lol. http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=683802&postcount=73

There are tutorials floating around the web on how to make a Photoshoped box with art. I would have thought that going through all the effort to shop an old 1000 box would be more effort than making one yourself. :D

Offline cgutjahr

• Show only replies by cgutjahr
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 12:00:43 AM »
Quote from: WarPiper;684513
I am going to buy the new Amiga anyway to support Commodore

You're free to support whoever you want with your money, but just to be clear:

This is not the Commodore company you remember. It's a furniture dealer who licensed the Commodore logo to distribute computer equipment. He actually has a license from Company A (to which he never paid any licensing fees, as far as we know) - and he hopes to get a license from Company B, if the latter actually gets declared owner of the Commodore trademark.

Company A and Company B are currently having a court battle over the ownership of the Commodore trademark.

Have fun choosing your favourite Commodore company to support ;)

Offline CritAnime

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 12:34:31 AM »
Actually lets break that down a little more. Barry Altman owned a company doing cable television parts and cables, then went on to doing stuff with cable headers, then on to selling furniture and now also selling computers. I think there might be other little bits that he has done but they are the main ones he has been clear on.

Offline eniacfoa

• Show only replies by eniacfoa
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 11:43:55 AM »
Do you realize how much money and effort it would take to make an OS as polished as MacOS or Windows?

Linux has an army of people working on it and it still not as polished as the two big guns...

I wish it wasn't the case.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 04:18:22 PM »
Quote from: eniacfoa;688182
Do you realize how much money and effort it would take to make an OS as polished as MacOS or Windows?

Linux has an army of people working on it and it still not as polished as the two big guns...
Maybe so, but the fact is that CUSA made big claims about developing their own Amiga-based OS ("Workbench 5," they were calling it.) Now, we've all well and truly gotten to expect these kind of shenanigans from them by now, but a broken promise is still a broken promise.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 01:17:45 AM »
Even worse, a deep troll.

Quote from: jorkany;684531
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 04:09:50 PM »
Quote from: persia;688285
Even worse, a deep troll.

Deep troll.  Sounds like a conspiracy in the making.....