Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Perception IME and Polymorph VM Frameworks  (Read 2460 times)

Description:

Offline SysAdminTopic starter

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
Perception IME and Polymorph VM Frameworks
« on: March 03, 2012, 12:45:30 PM »
News from Belxjander via http://www.os4coding.net/

(News reprinted locally on Amiga.org for your reading pleasure. Original article can be found on the link below).

OS4Coding.net Article

While I am saving up and getting money together to actually buy an NG PPC Amiga system,
I thought I may as well share my thoughts on what I have in mind for these two projects

That way I can possibly get some feedback on the ideas presented before I get harassed about any possible design bugs...

for Perception IME I am intending to write a "docky" for what the User is to see,
with *two* buttons triggering menus... one for Language of Choice and the other for tools

Basically Perception IME will contain a core "perception.library" and this will be loaded by the appropriate .language libraries for the system standard locale.library.

I have also given thought to updating translator.library and narrator.device from the OS2.x
release of Amiga OS system files and have that also use the .language files that register
themselves with perception.library.

My other project which is also a framework is called Polymorph ... I asked on the
AmigaWorld and Amigans sites about if anyone had any interest in these...

The primary support routines for Interpretive and Just-In-Time/Preparse Recompilation
would be present in this library and it would in itself be ignorant of any given
Emulation, However... there would be the option of "Simulator" Loaders selecting
and using an "Emulation" module for processing...

In effect any kind of "taggable" data would be usable as its own kind of program,
heavily dependent on support routines of course.

I have already started on the Perception IME project (with example help as I don't currently own an AOS4.x machine) in preparing a Japanese Keymap for a jp106 keyboard.

a jp106 Keyboard is a modified us latin1 layout with all the symbols relocated...
and 4 extra "Japanese" Keys one key has 「半角/全角」 which is obviously not usable
on the current US layout (replacing the ` key in the top left of the qwerty layout)

(The following is UTF8 「半角/全角」 /UTF8 encoding is also planned for PerceptionIME)

The qwerty area numbers also have the following symbol order !"#$%&'() with 0 being skipped.

Ive put a little bit of a framework together on Google Code and would actually enjoy
adding to it, once I can get past building the code for AmigaOS4.x.

as for using VBCC or any compiler other than GCC, no thanks... been there...
again I was helped with that (make seems *really* arcane at this point).

mostly the only issue I really have is *no*clear*direct*example* Makefile for creating
an AmigaOS4.x library that is also compilable on AROS.

It was suggested to me to build for AROS and worry about AmigaOS4.x later...
to me the original is AOS4.x and AROS is the clone system.

I am very averse to trying to develop using any kind of cross-compiler as well at this
point mainly down to having no cross-compiler actually build a proper toolchain
that I have been able to trust the output from.

so far I have been working based on the RKRM Libraries 3rd Edition I physically have
and writing code out on paper for ideas to make things work at various stages.

For the PerceptionIME project I would like to add at least Japanese if not Korean and Chinese as well
(I'll start with the language I can actually speak and read/write a little bit of...)

If no one has any objections I will also be trying to contact some developers about
useful tools from AmigaOS3.x (there IS a gestures commodity on Aminet)
I am certain some of these tools would be more power-enabling for some people.
Especially since they would be OS universally enabled *options*.

Anyway ... enough of my rambling for the first entry of this...

Perception IME and Polymorph are both on Google Code if anyone wants to look at the
initial library skeletons... there is very very little there right now

I will however dictate that they *MUST* be compilable using GCC from Makefiles...
once I can be happy to actually build such a thing for AmigaOS4.x and AROS from
exactly the same source tree

now I'll go back to my corner and try to sort out some means of getting enough money
together to actually buy a sam440ep(mini) or sam460ex [hopefully I can get both)

AbH Belxjander Draconis Serechai
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
Re: Perception IME and Polymorph VM Frameworks
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 03:07:18 AM »
Is this really news?

It should be moved to some dev forum at best.

Offline SysAdminTopic starter

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 03:28:40 AM »
Doing so now.
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline vidarh

• Show only replies by vidarh
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 04:14:03 PM »
Someone might want to let him know that while they hopefully won't be too trigger happy when it comes to suing a hobby project like this, the company that Commodore licensed the code in narrator.device from is AFAIK still around, and Commodore let that license lapse, so making use of it is legally shaky, unless he's talking about reimplementing them from scratch. Not to mention that he mentions AROS, and AROS doesn't have these available (or reimplementations) anyway.

He might be better off looking at something like espeak or Festival Lite anyway. Flite at least is a reasonably easy port. They're far bigger than narrator.device, but also sound massively better... Wanderer has also offered up (a closed source) port of his speech engine at some point.

Offline Belxjander

• Show only replies by Belxjander
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 05:17:34 PM »
@VidarH:

The speech implimentation is up to completion of prior material and only under consideration,  if I was to go ahead with it,  it would be using an existing project and provision of a wrapper library compatible with the old Kickstart 2 translator.library

However as for the narrator.device... I am questioning whether to include or drop that at all in the feature list

Offline vidarh

• Show only replies by vidarh
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 09:33:34 PM »
Quote from: Belxjander;684657
@VidarH:
However as for the narrator.device... I am questioning whether to include or drop that at all in the feature list

Consider Flite (Festival Lite) or E-Speak as options... They're both open source, though I don't remember what license so you'd want to check if they were suitable.

I've had the command line example app for Flite compile on AROS and it was reasonably painless, but never got time to try to build a library off it. Haven't tried compiling it under AmigaOS, but AFAIK there's nothing in there that should be particularly troublesome to port.

Alternatively speak to Wanderer - he has written a text to speech engine that he's suggested he might be able to port at one point (though closed source, which makes it less attractive for AROS, but still vastly better than nothing).