Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: amiga-anywhere.com: anyone else find this amusing?  (Read 2382 times)

Description:

Offline mikeymikeTopic starter

• Show only replies by mikeymike
amiga-anywhere.com: anyone else find this amusing?
« on: December 18, 2002, 04:11:13 PM »
Amiga Anywhere website

Anyone find it amusing that the HTML source says:  "Netscape or Internet Explorer 4.0 or higher is required."?

Next I'll find an ActiveX object on the Sun Microsystems homepage, or a HTML 4.01 compliant logo on microsoft.com :-)

Re: amiga-anywhere.com: anyone else find this amusing?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2002, 04:12:47 PM »
Not so much amusing as annoying, ironic and taking the bleep!
Ironic, because when Gateway (a PC company) owned Amiga, the Amiga website had "please upgrade to an Amiga 1200 to view this webpage" errors coming up on certain PC browsers.

Offline magic2002

• Show only replies by magic2002
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2002, 04:31:43 PM »
Well, considering 75% of computers run M$ software I don`t find that unfare or taking the bleep. Personaly, Amiga Browsers are crap any way - and I have been using Amigas for a long time. They need to improve on a nice Standerd Browser for the new OS4. ;-)  :-D

Offline Valan

• Show only replies by Valan
    • http://www.creativepixels.com.hk
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2002, 05:12:50 PM »
This is a reality check!

The only thing I find amusing is that the Amiga is the multimedia machine yet does not have a competing browser.

Hopefully post OS4 will rectify this.

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2002, 05:13:04 PM »
Dismissing Amiga browsers as crap out of hand is somewhat unfair. The likes of Internet Explorer and Netscape have been developed for many years by a dedicated team of programmers who got paid enough to make a living.

Amiga browsers have been developed by small teams of people who earn enough to buy a pint of beer every now and then.

My favourite browser on earth is IBrowse. Its user interface is fantastic. I therefore don't consider it "crap", it is just a shame that the people who write it have not had the time to implement XHTML, DHTML, and CSS, which would, imho, make it by far the nicest browser out there.

Outdated, yes. Crap, no.
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

Offline magic2002

• Show only replies by magic2002
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2002, 05:20:44 PM »
Dismissing Amiga browsers as crap out of hand is somewhat unfair

(Ahem)Excause me for stating the truth. Amiga Browsers either need to be re-written and have a better browser ready for OS4. They, are trutherly rubbish! Bloddy awful!
Come on, how the hell do you expect them to compete even with the Imac? Imac`s browsers are better. No matter how much I love amigas it is there pore attempt of browsing lets them down.Hopefully OS4 will bring things back to life (Praying)
;-)

Offline Darken

• Show only replies by Darken
    • http://perso.wanadoo.fr/psydk
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2002, 05:22:17 PM »
Actually I dropped Internet Explorer in favor of Phoenix. This browser rocks and it might be possible to port it on Amiga. There is already a Linux and an OS/2  version.

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/phoenix/phoenix-release-notes.html

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2002, 05:26:06 PM »
What I find more amusing is the standard of software available on the site. When you compare this to the GBA which is getting ports of old amiga classics. The games might run anywhere but who seriously would pay money for them.

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2002, 06:29:01 PM »
Well, considering 75% of computers run M$ software I don`t find that unfare or taking the bleep. Personaly, Amiga Browsers are crap any way - and I have been using Amigas for a long time. They need to improve on a nice Standerd Browser for the new OS4.

So, if you were to set up a company that sold Amiga software, you'd write it for Netscape and IE?  Do you notice a certain amount of irony here?

Maybe you could design your own web browser for the Amiga, and when you release it, you design the site so it can only be read using that browser! Now THERE'S AN IDEA!

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2002, 06:32:31 PM »
well Amiga.inc is trying to bring amiga forward... there are probably more people visiting that site by far useing Netscape/IE4.0+ then visiting it on 10+ year old amigas.

I mean lets be honest... most amigans also have PC's and dont use amigas as primary surfing box's anyway... I cant fault them on that...its better to have a professional site.... that most people can view... then a non-professional site everycan view.

So IMHO Amiga.inc is doing the right thing.

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2002, 06:36:55 PM »
@mips_proc

It's *really* not that difficult to design a website that most web browsers can read you know... it can be irritating sometimes to get full compatibility when you're doing something more complex, but coding HTML isn't rocket science.  Anyone who thinks it is probably shouldn't be coding HTML.

Offline Kent

• Show only replies by Kent
    • http://amiga.org/modules/mylinks/visit.php?lid=87
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2002, 06:51:04 PM »
Personally speaking the Amiga-Anywhere web site is not very professional.  All but the Recent News section could be done without JavaScript by connecting the site to a database.  Since there are forums there's already a database present.  Take a look at the image preload routines, they won't work on any of the Amiga browsers except perhaps AWeb since it's passing information back and forth between two different functions.  The "What's Hot", "What's New", and "Message Board Activity" could all be done dynamically but it's built from JavaScript.  The Now Showing and information on the upper right corner could be done up in Flash and if flash isn't detected use graphics with mouse-overs (the proper way).

2 cents

:pint:
I love the modern age world of this middle age crises America... all these SUVs driving around like there\\\'s gas to spare and then some.

http://www.RequestFocus.com

W. Kent Seaton ~ RequestFocus.com

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2002, 07:17:22 PM »
I think some of you should take a look at this site:

www.anybrowser.org/campaign

I am EXTREMELY against all these new web creation kits that are being sold for PC and Mac.
They may get a crappy website online in minutes, but they will not work on all browsers I can guaruntee it.

I feel sorry for the people who code entire web pages from scratch, by hand. They are people who deserve some respect. I also have respect for people who test their websites on different web browsers (not just Internet Explorer) to check if their sites work properly.  8-)

Offline SilvrDrgn

• Show only replies by SilvrDrgn
    • http://mikerye.homeip.net
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2002, 07:18:16 PM »
@ Kent,
Personally speaking the Amiga-Anywhere web site is not very professional. All but the Recent News section could be done without JavaScript by connecting the site to a database.

Since you definitely know what you're doing, maybe you should show them how it's supposed to be done!  :-)
Michael

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2002, 07:35:47 PM »
(Ahem)Excause me for stating the truth. Amiga Browsers either need to be re-written and have a better browser ready for OS4. They, are trutherly rubbish! Bloddy awful!

Oh right. Well, why don't you bloody write one then instead of belittling the efforts of others? hmm? i'm sure you'll have a browser up and running that can work perfectly with 4 different HTML versions, 3 different CSS versions, XHTML, various different versions of javascript and not to mention Netscape and IE custom tags? Because thats piss easy, isn't it?

Amiga browsers are out of date, yes. I wasn't saying that they don't need a hell of a lot of work to bring them into the 21st century, but having used IE, Opera and Mozilla, I can honestly say that I want Operas layout engine with IBrowses GUI. It is second to none.

So much so that I use IBrowse for most sites, and IE only when something doesn't work (which, before you say it, is not most of the time. In fact, I almost never have to resort to IE).

Anyway, i guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Playstation Network ID: xeron6