Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Version 3.0  (Read 8493 times)

Description:

Offline Krischan76

• Show only replies by Krischan76
Re: Version 3.0
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 06:52:58 PM »
Well, since 2012 is being announced "The year of the 3", I guess Dec 31st could be considered some kind of a deadline.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 08:00:40 PM »
Quote from: Lurch;684130
Have my Power Mac on it's way to give 3.0 a try :-) Just wish they supported more video cards, there are some cheaper options (and faster) than 9000/9100/9200/9250 ;-)

I had a friend re-flash my Radeon 8500 PC video card to work in my G4 PowerMac, so I can use it when running MorphOS2.7.  I think it might be the fastest video card that is fully supported by MorphOS with 3D drivers.

It is a 128mb VRAM video card, but unfortunately the Mac bios for it only allows 64mb of that VRAM to be seen when converted and used in a Mac.  Since I never ran into a low video RAM problem with my current Radeon 9000Pro, which only has 64mb of VRAM, I am not expecting any problems with the Radeon 8500 with only half of its 128mb of VRAM recognized.

I highly recommend the Radeon 8500 (but not the 8500LE) for use in a MorphOS G4 PowerMac.  Soon we expect more drivers for other newer and faster (or as fast) video cards than the 8500, but until they are finished, you can't go wrong with the Radeon 8500.  If you can find one on eBay, or Craig's List at a low price, buy it.

As for the question about when will MorphOS3.0 be released, I can only repeat what I previously wrote.  Writing drivers for undocumented hardware is not an easy task.  I would guess that there is one or more part of MorphOS3.0 for the G4 PowerBook that is giving the MorphOS Dev. Team problems, or they are just not satisfied with some parts that have been worked on, but are not really finished.

No telling what is holding up the release, but I know from my own experience with prior releases of MorphOS, that the standard of quality that the MorphOS Dev. Team holds themselves to on each new release, is very high, so I am sure that they don't want to lower that standard for this very important milestone in the development of MorphOS, by releasing a version of MorphOS3.0 that is any less in quality than their prior releases.

I have confidence that there is a good reason for the delay and I agree with the MorphOS Dev. Team's prior (and apparently current) practice of not releasing versions of MorphOS that are not ready for the general public.  I can confirm from my use of the beta version that was given to me last Oct. for the AmiWest Show, that it was not yet ready for release at that time, but I won't comment on what parts still needed work.

I can only repeat my earlier advice of patience.  The MorphOS Dev. Team has an excellent track record for knowing when their work is ready for a release, so trust them to know when 3.0 is ready for release.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 08:33:13 PM by amigadave »
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline SysAdmin

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2012, 08:27:06 PM »
Quote from: SACC-guy;684118
It's march now, any news?

Two more weeks!
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2012, 08:38:12 PM »
Quote from: Transition;684188
Two more weeks!

Is that real information, a joke, or another tease?
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Iggy

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2012, 11:31:55 PM »
Two more weeks!

Seriously Tedd?
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2012, 03:53:41 AM »
HUH!!!

I must be at the wrong site, I thought this was an Amiga site. But all I see here is a bunch of MAC fanboys.

Gosh I think the new owner sold us out, he probably is a MAC fanboy too!!!

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2012, 03:56:24 AM »
Hi,

Anybody seen any real Amiga users here???

Those who just dread about hearing about MAC junk, and go into a pukin rage whenever they touch a MAC.

Maybe Franko was right, and he saw this event coming, a bunch of Mac users taking over Amiga.org,

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2012, 05:07:33 AM »
Two more weeks!

that is the same "Two more weeks!" as the delivery date for Aladdin v6.0 for Amiga.

In other words, they will be done when they are done.

@smerf,

If you are going to get so upset about MorphOS users writing about the hardware that it runs on, you had better avoid the MorphOS -- Hardware requirements and availability discussion forum here on Amiga.org.

You do realize that this site supports many different Amiga inspired platforms and has separate forums for each of them.  You would experience a lot less upset and sick feelings if you would just avoid reading anything in the MorphOS forum sections, as the most popular hardware that MorphOS runs on right now is made by a manufacturer that makes you ill just to think of.  That is a personal problem that not many members here share with you.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 05:11:56 AM by amigadave »
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline Krischan76

• Show only replies by Krischan76
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2012, 06:46:54 AM »
Quote from: amigadave;684186
I have confidence that there is a good reason for the delay

One developer temporarily not having access to his machine and another one breaking his wrist could cause some serious problems for a team that small with an amount of work that big and tricky.

Offline Templario

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2012, 12:26:05 PM »
There are miuch delays and I want enjoy the new MorphOS 3.0 on my MacMini, and I bough the apple computer for this reason and the test my own software. Humm..
Amiga 500 with ROMs 1.3-2.05 and M-Tec AT 500 with hard disk and 4MB Ram.
WinUAE + Original OS 3.5&3.9
Sam440ep 800 MHZ + OS 4.1 F.E.
Sam460ex 1 GHz + OS 4.1 + Update 6. K.O.
MacMini 1.5 GHz + MorphOS 3.9
PowerBook G4 1.65 + MorphOS 3.9

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2012, 03:37:57 PM »
Quote from: Templario;684280
There are miuch delays and I want enjoy the new MorphOS 3.0 on my MacMini, and I bough the apple computer for this reason and the test my own software. Humm..

2.7 runs just fine on the mini. The biggest improvement of 3.0 will be Powerbook support. Hence, if you have a 2.7 capable machine waiting for 3.0 is rather easy. Anyway, I am confident that waiting will not last too long anymore.

Offline Boot_WB

• Show only replies by Boot_WB
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2012, 03:45:42 PM »
Quote from: zylesea;684298
2.7 runs just fine on the mini.

Indeed, and it has been stated that MorphOS 3.0 will be a free upgrade for owners of 2.x licenses (on the same piece of hardware, obviously).

Anyway, I am confident that waiting will not last too long anymore.

Inside knowledge, IRC Rumour, Or just a hunch?

Care to share? ;)
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)

Offline Templario

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2012, 10:22:23 AM »
Quote from: zylesea;684298
2.7 runs just fine on the mini. The biggest improvement of 3.0 will be Powerbook support. Hence, if you have a 2.7 capable machine waiting for 3.0 is rather easy. Anyway, I am confident that waiting will not last too long anymore.
Only that I want more software and tools.....
Amiga 500 with ROMs 1.3-2.05 and M-Tec AT 500 with hard disk and 4MB Ram.
WinUAE + Original OS 3.5&3.9
Sam440ep 800 MHZ + OS 4.1 F.E.
Sam460ex 1 GHz + OS 4.1 + Update 6. K.O.
MacMini 1.5 GHz + MorphOS 3.9
PowerBook G4 1.65 + MorphOS 3.9

Offline Iggy

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2012, 04:13:31 PM »
Quote from: smerf;684257
Hi,

Those who just dread about hearing about MAC junk, and go into a pukin rage whenever they touch a MAC.

Maybe Franko was right, and he saw this event coming, a bunch of Mac users taking over Amiga.org,

smerf

Honestly Smerf,
Would you lay off?
If I could run MorphOS on another platform as fast as my Mac I would.
But the Pegasos tops out at 1.4GHz (and those processor cards are hard to find, most are 1GHz).
And here's a list of the non apple components in my Quicksilcer.

Processor card, memory, hard drives, DVD drive, video card, USB 2.0 card, Soundblaster Live card (this is not even supported by OSX), network card, and SCSI card.

So basically, the case, motherboard and power supply are Apple.
And I'm considering replacing the case and power supply.
I don't even have OSX on this machine.

Offline Rodomoc

• Show only replies by Rodomoc
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2012, 04:43:33 PM »
Quote from: smerf;684254
HUH!!!
I must be at the wrong site, I thought this was an Amiga site. But all I see here is a bunch of MAC fanboys. Gosh I think the new owner sold us out, he probably is a MAC fanboy too!!!  smerf

What a strange posting... For normally wired individuals, obviously a mac is good, cheap hardware to run the MorphOS operating system on. It is not a fanboy issue, it is a logical one. Thus the quoted posting is non-productive. :laugh1:

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #29 from previous page: March 19, 2012, 07:55:51 PM »
Quote from: smerf;684257
Hi,

smerf

Perhaps you should join him, being banned or just have a nice cup of shut the f*ck up??!??

Seriously, who cares if MorphOS is using mac technology or not.

God, I can't stand *ANY* of these Amiga-flavored zealots...........

:evil:
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf