Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS 3.0 (3.1, etc) for PPC, then x64/ARM!  (Read 13390 times)

Description:

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
Re: MorphOS 3.0 (3.1, etc) for PPC, then x64/ARM!
« Reply #29 from previous page: August 20, 2013, 03:28:59 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;667785
There are interesting MorphOS news about the future coming from "Alchimie 111111"!
So what we have here, if all this is translated/relayed correctly, is *very* important news about the MorphOS future!

1) Immediate Future (a month or a few from today): MorphOS 3.0 will be released. This seems to become the biggest and most important MorphOS update ever? It will be a free upgrade for currently registered MorphOS users. It will introduce support for Powerbook laptops, and many other cool things that has been hinted above in this post, and in previous posts on various forums. License Fee may be lowered for some HW.

2) Intermediate Future (up to a few years after MorphOS 3.0): MorphOS 3.1, 3.2, ..., ..., etc, will be released, introducing stuff that didn't make it for MorphOS 3.0. The OS will continued to be developed on the PPC platform, really making the most out of it. Maybe they will support G5 Mac's, but that's far from a given, and some posts I have seen suggests otherwise. We will see.

3) Long Term Future (a few years from now): MorphOS has evolved as an OS on the PPC architecture since the beginning, and it has served its purpose. It will continue to evolve here for some time still with the 3.x branch. However, the PPC Platform for desktop and laptop systems is dead. It has been so since 2007. But the statement is now that MorphOS will *not* roll over and die because of this! No, when MorphOS has made the most out of the current PPC hardware, when it has supported all HW considered worth supporting, it *WILL* migrate to a new, modern architecture that has a pulse! This also means improvements in many other ways (64-bit, perhaps they will look at improving the Q-box again, etc).

So with this, there seems to be a clear path into the future! The question marks that many have felt (given the PPC situation) is now straightened out to exclamation marks! MorphOS will continue to live on, it will continue to evolve, even when the current HW architecture is not!

This is very good news! :)

Great summary and plan, quite realistic and step by step. Something we AmigaOS4 users could only wish for :-)

Seems I might be buying MorphOS 4 one day :-)
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja

Offline nicholas

« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2013, 03:52:00 PM »
Quote from: vox;745465
Great summary and plan, quite realistic and step by step. Something we AmigaOS4 users could only wish for :-)

Seems I might be buying MorphOS 4 one day :-)

Oh the sh1tstorm that will explode in the land of the true believers when Morph OS4 gets released will make anything in the past 13 years pale by comparison.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2013, 07:40:00 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;745472
Oh the sh1tstorm that will explode in the land of the true believers when Morph OS4 gets released will make anything in the past 13 years pale by comparison.

:roflmao::laughing:
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"