Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Whoo Hooo.... Steve Jobs Resigns...  (Read 2944 times)

Description:

Offline FrankoTopic starter

• Show only replies by Franko
Whoo Hooo.... Steve Jobs Resigns...
« on: August 25, 2011, 03:41:13 PM »
Whoo Hooo ...  STEVE JOBS RESIGNS... :banana:

At last.. now hopefully someone without a one track mind will take over and run the company in a way that is friendly and actually helpful to user of Apple products... :)

I mean have you ever tried asking their own customer relations staff a question either via phone or their website about where to get something or how to do something on a Mac that isn't one of their latest models !!!

If you have you will know that they are as helpful and as useless as a nun in a brothel or a fart in a spacesuit... ;)

Hopefully now whomever takes over will look at the way this company is run and put right the lack of customer support and actually employ people who know what they are talking about when you ask a question... :)

Now all we have to do is hope he doesn't go into partnership with Bill Gates and release on the world a new computer system that's even more bloated, crap to use and costs and arm & a leg just cos it look's trendy & cool... :rolleyes:

Mr Fry Gibber Jobbies About Mr Jobs... (Gawd... you'd think he died or sumthink...)

Hmmm... perhaps I should try here instead... :)

Fake Apple Retail Stores In China... Free Prawn Crackers With Purchase Over 10,000,000 Yen

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Re: Whoo Hooo.... Steve Jobs Resigns...
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 06:16:25 PM »
Ya, and he's gonna die soon too.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 08:26:39 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;656115
Ya, and he's gonna die soon too.

That's a bit uncalled for, isn't it?
int p; // A

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 09:41:56 PM »
Quote from: Franko;656105
I mean have you ever tried asking their own customer relations staff a question either via phone or their website about where to get something or how to do something on a Mac that isn't one of their latest models !!!
I dunno. Far be it from me to speak up in defense of Apple corporate, but their legacy support is actually better than a lot of companies I've encountered. Probably not with the actual support personnel, but they have software going all the way back to the 68k days free for download, and as much as they've tried to deprecate OS9 and older versions of OSX, the update service is still up and running just fine...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline esc

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 10:19:12 PM »
I've been nothing but happy with Apple for years.  Since 2002, actually, when I bought my first iMac.

I've been continually impressed with the innovations that Apple has been responsible for.  I also received awesome technical support while I was in Iraq.  So, I'm hoping that the best days of the company are still ahead, and look forward to what's next...all the while wishing the best for Steve Jobs.

Offline beller

• S.A.C.C.
    • Show only replies by beller
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 11:44:44 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;656127

I think the thread is uncalled for...say what you want about Apple and Steve, they're still in business and doing quite well.  

I've got a number of old Macs and have had no problem finding what I need on Apple's servers.  If you expect personal support on a legacy computer it just doesn't happen.  As someone pointed out, Apple still regularly updates versions of OSX that run only on older machines.

Steve Jobs' vision shaped the computer industry going back to the original design for the Apple II.   I don't see anyone else in the industry that can match his record of success.  

His resignation is no cause for celebration...

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 02:35:16 AM »
Quote from: Karlos;656127

I think only if I ad a gleeful "he he he" after it.

Dude man is looking bad! It's no wonder he is stepping down.

Seriously though, despite how much I may resent his and Mr. Gates cut throat tactics within the industry, I don't wish anyone to suffer.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 02:40:20 AM »
Quote from: beller;656136
I think the thread is uncalled for...say what you want about Apple and Steve, they're still in business and doing quite well.  

I've got a number of old Macs and have had no problem finding what I need on Apple's servers.  If you expect personal support on a legacy computer it just doesn't happen.  As someone pointed out, Apple still regularly updates versions of OSX that run only on older machines.

Steve Jobs' vision shaped the computer industry going back to the original design for the Apple II.   I don't see anyone else in the industry that can match his record of success.  

His resignation is no cause for celebration...

That's your opinion mate not mine... ;)

The crap posted here that Apple supports those still using old Apple computers is just that... utter crap... :(

You try asking to buy from them the OS install disks (OSX 10.2) for an old iMAC G4 and you'll get told the same BS that I was told... "Sorry but we don't sell or supply that any more, try eBay" and to top it off it was then commented "ahh, so you bought the white elephant"... :furious:

That's just one example of Apples so called customer support that I've had over the past year, I wont even mention the fact that no-one at Apple has a friggin clue when you ask them about un-installing a piece of software properly... :madashell:

They have the worst customer service of ANY company (apart from British Gas) that I have ever had the misfortune to come across and their favourite mantra is "you can of course upgrade"... :madashell:

Bunch of money grabbing sh!tes the lot of em and I hope Steve Jobs gets run over by a bus full of idiots rushing to the shops to stand all night in a queue to buy the latest iThingy before he gets a chance to enjoy his retirement... :D

So don't tell me this thread was uncalled for until you can purchase from them the genuine OSX 10.2 for my other friggin iMac and then I'll retract this moan... ;)

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 04:37:30 AM »
Quote from: Franko;656140
You try asking to buy from them the OS install disks (OSX 10.2) for an old iMAC G4 and you'll get told the same BS that I was told... "Sorry but we don't sell or supply that any more, try eBay" and to top it off it was then commented "ahh, so you bought the white elephant"...
Yeah, that is one obvious, obvious crucial failure on their part - for all the other stuff they put up for download, if you want any OS later than 8.1 you're pretty much left with a "screw you" as far as they're concerned. But hey, that's why there's BitTorrent and DVD-Rs.

"Piracy: providing everything that software companies don't want you to have anymore." :D

(Also, I dunno what model of iMac G4 you have, but I've got a 1.25GHz 1GB model that runs 10.4 with all the updates just peachy, not sure why you'd bother with 10.2.)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 04:40:22 AM by commodorejohn »
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 05:02:37 AM »
@ Commodorejohn

The first iMac I bought last year was an iMac G4 800Mhz it had 10.2 on it but was a bit mucked up and had no install disks... :(

After trying to by the OSX 10.2 install disk and getting told all the crap I mentioned earlier by Apple, I ended up paying a Mac engineer to upgrade it for me as he still had the 10.2 disks, he charged me £380 and now I know better I was well and truly shafted (and I still don't have the install disks)... :cry:

Then I got "wiser" and bought an iMac G5 2.Ghz running 10.5.8 with the install disks this time, and I've downloaded all the best pirate stuff out there for it (never knew it was so easy)... :)

And before the copyright mafia & moral majority scream blue murder & pirate, it's a PPC mac and you can't buy most of the versions of the software for it anymore so the only way you can get them is via torrents and such, so any complaints tell em to someone who cares... ;)

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 05:25:23 AM »
Eugh, yeah. Just another proof: never take it to a "certified" repairman, all that means is he's got a license to bend you over a barrel :/ (Extra-tragic if it's for hardware troubles, because the iMac G4 is one of the few compact Macs you don't need to go through a whole lot of rigamarole to get into - as long as you've got your standard hardware-store $15 utility-bit set, you're good to go.)

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 05:37:31 AM »
I was going to sell the G4 or just use it as a posh table lamp but I think I'll keep it for when the NatAmi arrives, as I think it'll make a nice custom case with built in monitor for it... :)

(actually I find the iMac G5 easier to get into (once you get past those tricky spring clips with a bent credit card) but there's not a lot of space in there to do much... :)

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 05:50:22 AM »
Probably fewer steps involved, I expect, but spring-clips have always been my worst enemy when it comes to getting something open without tearing gashes in the plastic :/ Neither of them are really that upgradable, in any case - stick a bigger hard drive in, max out the RAM, that's pretty much it. Still, they're pretty okay machines if you want cheap PPC hardware.