Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Gorky 17" for MOS  (Read 4203 times)

Description:

Offline Ross_Geller

• Show only replies by Ross_Geller
    • http://lee.rowson.co.nz/
Re: "Gorky 17" for MOS
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2003, 10:41:49 AM »
JoannaK:
Like this idea of yours of someone actually purchasing Amigaone for playing this Game

You make it sound as if I was saying they would buy an AmigaOne solely for this game.  My idea is that this game may be what tips the scale between buying an AmigaOne, a Pegasos or something else entirely.  Please note that I'm not saying that the scales are balanced before we add Gorky 17, merely that it's the little extra nudge the consumer may need to consider the AmigaOne the option for them.  I would use an analogy, but that could get dangerous!

Most of us simply don't have the option of buying a new platform for just one game (no matter how great the game is), so I would never advocate such a thing.  However, a platform that offers a good OS, good apps and some good games is much easier to consider purchasing because its utility will be far greater.

And no... havign it to some exotic name-platform ain't that important.

It would be important to those already owning an exoticly named platform and can't afford the money or space for a console.  They're the troublemakers here ;-)

(I hope this time my views are clearer, it's always impossible to tell until someone else reads it :-) )
\\"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us\\"

Offline Ross_Geller

• Show only replies by Ross_Geller
    • http://lee.rowson.co.nz/
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2003, 11:31:50 AM »

Gorky17 may not be the sole reason for a person choosing OS4 over MOS, but it could be a contributing factor.

No.

So you're saying it's impossible for Gorky 17 to have any effect whatsoever on a person's choice of platform?  That's a shame for Gorky 17 if you're right, that in a market with so few games it still has absolutely no pulling power.

Also, certainly by the sounds of this thread, if Gorky 17 isn't ported then Hyperion and Eyetech may be making a few more sales than if Gorky 17 was ported to all platforms.

No, it sounds like Hyperion will be making less sales of Gorky 17.

I can't see your assertion in the thread.  Hyperion may have lost one sale, but then again they may have gained an A1/OS4 buyer, it is impossible for us to judge iamaboringperson's want of this game.

And Hyperion will be making less sales than what?  Than if they ported to MOS as well?  That's true.  But your sentence states that Hyperion will make less sales, it never asserts any difference between the way the situation is now and any hypothetical situations.  So we have to assume that you're applying "less sales" to the current situation.  

But for the current situation there is no given reason that Hyperion are going to have less sales when the only people buying the game will be OS4 and Mac users, and I cannot see either of those groups of consumers boycotting Gorky 17 purely because it's not also available for MOS.  (This would be the point where somebody then starts up a thread boycotting Gorky 17 :-P)

(I'm sorry if I'm going over the top, I think I've jumped rather too hard at the chance to have such a discussion.)
\\"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us\\"

Offline mongo

• Show only replies by mongo
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2003, 04:51:47 PM »
So you're saying it's impossible for Gorky 17 to have any effect whatsoever on a person's choice of platform? That's a shame for Gorky 17 if you're right, that in a market with so few games it still has absolutely no pulling power.

For the price difference between a P2 and an A1, you can buy a PC and a copy of Gorky 17.

I can't see your assertion in the thread. Hyperion may have lost one sale, but then again they may have gained an A1/OS4 buyer, it is impossible for us to judge iamaboringperson's want of this game.

Unless iamaboringperson is insane, or has way too much money, he is not going to spend several hundred dollars just so he can play a port of Gorky 17.

And Hyperion will be making less sales than what? Than if they ported to MOS as well? That's true. But your sentence states that Hyperion will make less sales, it never asserts any difference between the way the situation is now and any hypothetical situations. So we have to assume that you're applying "less sales" to the current situation.

Why don't you take the context of my sentence into consideration? If you do, then it should be clear that I am saying that Hyperion will make less sales if they only port it to OS4 and not MOS as well.

Offline JoannaK

• Show only replies by JoannaK
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2003, 09:11:45 PM »
Ross: Not affording a console ... well.. it all depends on what each and everyone consideres important.

Anyhow.. How meaningless this discussion is, apparently some individuals willing to prefer anonymosity have decided to move it to ann.lu.

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2003, 12:48:00 AM »

mongo wrote:

Why don't you take the context of my sentence into consideration? If you do, then it should be clear that I am saying that Hyperion will make less sales if they only port it to OS4 and not MOS as well.

It’s not all about making “sales” i.e. making Gorky 17 only available for AOS4 (not for MOS) makes AOS4 a bit “inelastic” (in economic terms).
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline HotRod

• Show only replies by HotRod
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2003, 01:08:33 AM »
Why is it that as soon as something happens that is related to AOS 4 a MOS-user or several just have to coment and/or complain?!

There are a few MOS-only games released but I haven't read any complains about that.

It is two systems and some will develope for one of them only. Accept it! If it is a MUI-program it will probably run on both systems but what if a program uses ReAction? Or what about the newer versions of Warp3D (Nova)? Maybe MOS won't be compatible with it and therefore some programs won't run on it.

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2003, 01:35:01 AM »
Why is it that as soon as something happens that is related to AOS 4 a MOS-user or several just have to coment and/or complain?!

There are a few MOS-only games released but I haven't read any complains about that.

this is exactly the same as i have noticed...

Offline iamaboringpersonTopic starter

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2003, 02:10:02 AM »
It is two systems and some will develope for one of them only. Accept it! If it is a MUI-program it will probably run on both systems but what if a program uses ReAction? Or what about the newer versions of Warp3D (Nova)? Maybe MOS won't be compatible with it and therefore some programs won't run on it.
It's actually quite easy to write a game once, and compile it for two platforms.

What you've written are only excuses.

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2003, 02:16:47 AM »
imaboringperson: u are so wrong on that one, A LISCENSE COST MONEY! and when morphos and pegasos came around amiga suddenly had to get 2 liscenses for each game/tool..

in other words , if u buy liscense to port a game, and with 2 options on the market atm, well you need to buy 2 diff for 2 diff os's ..

btw why not slam EPIC because of this? , you are aware of that EPIC released the mac version? but not the MORPHOS version?? , hyperion does the LINUX and OS4 version...

Whats up with all the hate!

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2003, 02:29:13 AM »
u are so wrong on that one, A LISCENSE COST MONEY! and when morphos and pegasos came around amiga suddenly had to get 2 liscenses for each game/tool..

It's hard to say! We don't know what's in the contract yet!
:-)

What I mean by that is how dissimillar do the two platforms have to be before it actually does require a second licence.

There is also the issue of the extra possible sales making up for the cost of the liscence!

Offline Steady

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2003, 10:46:13 AM »
@iamaboringperson:

The fact is that they ARE two different platforms. AmigaOS 4 is AmigaOS 4 and MorphOS is MorphOS. They both have different APIs and require two different versions. If they did not, you would not now be complaining about not having a MorphOS version of Gorky 17.
The common API between them is AmigaOS 3.1. Otherwise they are different and will become more so as time goes on (unless a specific effort is made otherwise).

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2003, 11:37:00 AM »
iamaboringperson: ok i will either stop here now or continue with some manners, please fill in the gaps here.

1. It seems you are flaming hyperion and claiming that it might be a free liscense.

2. You keep ignoring the fact that EPIC allready liscensed the mac version and hyperion liscensed the linux + os4

3. somewhat i dont think you fully understand what happened when there was a new api introduced.

addidtionally i would liek to mention ,

1. i dont know what the liscense cost ,but i am in the software dev biz and i know they dont come free + i know aos and morphos is 2 api's (dont know if porting 1 version to WOS only would make it as on liscense) as morphos is wos compatible) but its rather unlikely that we will see more WOS stuff comming for os4..,

2. have you talked to epic about this grudge?, maybe they have a plan to liscense a morphos version? or maybe not as they are busy with games as "divine divinity and northland" atm..

3. as i said about making extra money with releasing it for morphos aswell, did it ever occur to you that if they had to release 2x liscenses then they would have to sell twice as many or something simmilar to make money at all?

4. we are going in loops here, if you had read the damn posts from hyperion about this earlier on then we wouldnt have been stagnated just over this single question AGAIN!..
Last hope for gorky17 is that epic release an morphos version..

Whats up with all the hate!

Offline Hooligan_DCS

• Show only replies by Hooligan_DCS
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2003, 12:09:49 PM »

Or pick it up at local stores for 10€  :-P

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2003, 12:31:58 PM »
Hyperion would rather slowly tear out their own fingernails than support a platform they've been flaming and that has been flaming them for almost four years.

That, I think, is the bottom line.

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2003, 01:08:01 PM »

Steady wrote:
@iamaboringperson:

The fact is that they ARE two different platforms. AmigaOS 4 is AmigaOS 4 and MorphOS is MorphOS. They both have different APIs and require two different versions. If they did not, you would not now be complaining about not having a MorphOS version of Gorky 17.
The common API between them is AmigaOS 3.1. Otherwise they are different and will become more so as time goes on (unless a specific effort is made otherwise).

Yes they are different. There is probably greater difference than the what is found in the varying distributions of Linux.

I suppose that what I'm trying to get at here is that good businessmen are supposed to be good at weaseling their way around contracts ;-) they're supposed to at least try to bend the agreement in their favor! ;-) ;-) *nudge* *nudge*

Ah forget it... I'm losing my argument here... :)

« Reply #29 from previous page: December 29, 2003, 01:17:27 PM »
1. It seems you are flaming hyperion and claiming that it might be a free liscense.
No.
2. You keep ignoring the fact that EPIC allready liscensed the mac version and hyperion liscensed the linux + os4
Read my last post. ;-)
3. somewhat i dont think you fully understand what happened when there was a new api introduced.
It depends on the API. The specifics of the implementations might be different, however both OS's are very similar.
It could be argued(heck, I'd try it for a bit of extra cash! ;) that they are as simillar as BSD and Linux. If a developer has the licence to port their software to Linux, couldn't it be argued that they could port it to x86 BSD under the same licence? It's just a thought. :)
1. i dont know what the liscense cost ,but i am in the software dev biz and i know they dont come free + i know aos and morphos is 2 api's (dont know if porting 1 version to WOS only would make it as on liscense) as morphos is wos compatible) but its rather unlikely that we will see more WOS stuff comming for os4..,
I think it will be interesting to see the differences in software options on both platforms in the future. But only time will tell. :)
2. have you talked to epic about this grudge?, maybe they have a plan to liscense a morphos version? or maybe not as they are busy with games as "divine divinity and northland" atm..
If I didn't have other projects that I'm working on (and that I should be getting on with right now, if you know what I mean ;) I'd consider taking it up myself.
3. as i said about making extra money with releasing it for morphos aswell, did it ever occur to you that if they had to release 2x liscenses then they would have to sell twice as many or something simmilar to make money at all?
Yes! Two machines, roughly twice the sales! (okay,  that's just a theory)
4. we are going in loops here, if you had read the damn posts from hyperion about this earlier on then we wouldnt have been stagnated just over this single question AGAIN!..
I posted here due to the fact that peoples posts were being removed under the news item. That included my post, which, IMHO was on topic.