Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hello from Australia  (Read 17034 times)

Description:

Offline Minuous

Re: Hello from Australia
« on: June 11, 2011, 03:09:33 PM »
ACAR fan, yes or no?

Yes, I scanned over 10000 pages in on a flatbed scanner, so I probably qualify :-) http://www.racevb6.com/acar/

Who would you like to stab most, andy farrell or gareth powell?

Was there some scandal I never heard about...!? maybe Phil Campbell, his reviews were always crap...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 03:13:39 PM by Minuous »

Offline Minuous

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 11:01:32 PM »
Wow, the legendary ACAR Realm Hint Books!

I'd love to get these scanned in and made available somehow! I don't suppose you'd consider scanning them in, or lending them to me temporarily so I can do so? The same applies for the hint sheets, I already typed up all the ones I have but that's only 6 of them unfortunately :-(

Offline Minuous

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 10:39:47 AM »
@yakumo9275:

>these two are the only two I have here in the usa with me.

I only recall there being 2 of them. I assume they have different content to the hint sheets and the Adventurer's Help Dept. of the magazine?

>I think I have all the hint sheets, tonnes of them. There are heaps. I think he cycled some in and out so not all the same were available at the same time. (back in aus tho).

Yes. I have made a list of what is missing:

Borrowed Time
Castle of Terror
Champions of Krynn
Corruption
Deja Vu 1
Dracula
Fish!
Guild of Thieves
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Mortville Manor/Maupiti Island
Jinxter
King's Quest 5
Leisure Suit Larry 3
Loom
Never Ending Story
Pool of Radiance
Secret of Monkey Island 1
Secret of Monkey Island 2
Space Quest 2
Space Quest 3
Space Quest 4
Wonderland
Zak McKracken
Zork 2
Zork 3
ZZZzzzz

>I do have another random aussie hintbook 'what, another adventure' by phylidia fitzgerald from the age and some canberra times newspaper.

Ha, I'm from Canberra and I wrote to that column and I have met David Ives who ran it :-) I am planning to go to the National Library and make some copies of those columns for scanning.

@tasmanianguy:

>I've got some few issues of ACAR and will take a look to see if I've got any of the missing ones if you like?

That would be great.

>I've scanned one issue and on a A3 scanner it took about 10 minutes to do the scans, so I understand the work that must of gone into scanning so many issues!

I used an A4 scanner by the way :-(

>Once again thanks! Perhaps you should look at putting them on DVD as I would certainly buy it :-)

I could send you a DVD if you cover the postage. I think I may also have some of the issues as 300dpi scans instead of the 150dpi scans that are at the site.

Offline Minuous

Re: Hello from auatralia
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 06:43:42 PM »
>Okay I've scanned issue one of the Australian Commodore Review (no Amiga back then) where would you like me to email it to? (I've split it up into 10mb chunks, it is around 15 megabytes in size).

Sorry, missed your post. It is amigansoftware@gmail.com

>Also am happy to drop some money into your paypal account to get a copy of all the issues that you've gone.

I'll send you a PM...

Offline Minuous

Re: Hello from auatralia
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 06:49:14 PM »
@kesa:

>What ever happened to the people who worked for the magazine? Where are they now?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_William_Farrell

Offline Minuous

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 05:46:45 PM »
Quote from: yakumo9275;644590
these two are the only two I have here in the usa with me. The rest are back in aus :) Me mum would have no idea where they are or what I was talking about if I asked after them. something rings a bell that there is or was a third hint book but I dont recall...

I think I have all the hint sheets, tonnes of them. There are heaps. I think he cycled some in and out so not all the same were available at the same time. (back in aus tho).

I do have another random aussie hintbook 'what, another adventure' by phylidia fitzgerald from the age and some canberra times newspaper.

I'm in the process of creating an archive of the Canberra Times adventure column. 1988 is already available from my site at http://amigan.1emu.net/aw/ and other years will be added as the source documents become available from the NLA site.

I'm also interested in scanning the Adventurer's Realm hints sheets, would you be willing to lend them for this purpose?