Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Open Amiga  (Read 11206 times)

Description:

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
Re: Open Amiga
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 06:47:49 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;633951
"Open Amiga? OS4 going open source? "

I agree with previous posters. If you want people to contribute you need to make it run on hardware anyone can afford. And also, starting an open source initiative for a closed source os is definitely cause for ridicule.

Why would people work for free on an os that is not open while they are selling 1000$ motherboards to run this os on and keeping all the money?

I also agree they are just looking for cheap (free) labor. You want to sell your os? Then PAY developers.

Thats ludicrous. IMHO.

Steven
steven, i don't think you're being entirely fair here.  openamiga.org has existed for years now and is independent of hyperion.  i think steve solie just posted on the hyperion blog about it to call attention to it.

and people have been working on those projects for years.  they are offered to OS4 users, not 'taken' by hyperion.  some have been added to OS4 as contributions over the years, but i think you guys are really misinterpreting all of this.  the only difference between this and normal development is that if you use the openamiga.org infrastructure, you are expected to keep your source open.  that's it.

@thread

this is not about OS4 going the FOSS route.  it's just calling attention to a site/community that has existed for years to those who might not know about it. i know this place isn't exactly full of people who like hyperion, but sheesh.

-- eliyahu
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 06:50:04 PM by eliyahu »
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline ArgoTopic starter

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 07:42:56 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;633857
Hmmmph *sticks nose up in air*. Cheap labour.

Yeah, Linux and BSD suck. Cheapos...

Offline ArgoTopic starter

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 07:46:50 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;633930
Well it's not far off transforming into Linux as it is....

I'd rather see a BSD base.

Offline Cammy

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 09:33:04 PM »
I am an enthusiastic and devoted Amiga user and new developer currently working on several small applications for the Amiga OSs. I have spent the last year learning to program in an Amiga-specific language with the intention of creating nothing but Amiga software over the foreseeable future.

I have always had a problem with the Open Amiga site. Back when it was started I expressed my opinion that it should include all Amiga development, combining our efforts to develop new cross-compatible Amiga software and pushing the entire platform forward together, not just one small aspect of it (OS4). I was of course dismissed, and reported for abuse (on AmigaWorld) for daring to suggest that OS3, Aros and MorphOS should also have a place on the Open Amiga site.

I don't own and can't afford to purchase AmigaOS4, let alone the expensive custom hardware it runs on. It's not that I wouldn't like a Sam, I'd love one, but there's no way I could buy one. That still doesn't mean I wouldn't like to write new software for OS4. The software I'm working on can be compiled to run on all four Amiga OSs, it's original and native (not ported), uses common standards like Datatypes, Icon Tooltypes, Intuition Screens, MUI/Zune, system menus and everything else you would expect from real Amiga software. Over the last year or so I taught myself to program without any previous experience, no manual and with very minimal help online with no support forum. Despite the fact that Amiga development almost seems like a dead end, and everything I learn would be of no use if I were to start developing for a different platform I still press on, and won't stop trying to write new Amiga software.

At first I thought that I would simply hang around in Amiga development teams, betatesting, offering ideas, writing plots for games, design levels and do the easy work while the professionals handled the coding, graphics and music composition. But I soon found that the Amiga community was seriously lacking dedicated programmers, and the hobbyist ones seemed to give up or lose interest when real life got in the way. Even sadder is when someone who is a very dedicated, respected and inspirational Amiga developer, who works on software for all four Amiga OSs decides to abandon his work or only focus on a single system, or leave Amiga programming to make money with Microsoft and Apple.

That's something I would never do. I'm in it for the long run, 100% dedicated to developing for all Amiga systems. The software I will create may not blow any minds, but it will try to fill in the gaps in our software library. There are several applications and utilities we're lacking which I would use myself, and those are the ones I'm working on first, as well as a couple of small games.

Developing for other, non-Amiga operating systems and platforms doesn't interest me even though I use a lot of alternative OSs casually (which is good for research and ideas), so if I wasn't dedicating myself to writing new Amiga software I'd probably do something completely different with my life. It doesn't stop at wanting to develop software, I've also invented a few simple hardware designs that I would love to see hit production which would be well received by the Amiga community, I'm creating a fictional universe for the setting of an upcoming online comic series I'm penning which will include several tie-in games (for Amigas), writing guides and tutorials for an Amiga book I'd like to publish (which will be free to download), filming and editing a few (free of charge) promotional videos for Amiga hardware and software developers, and modelling for an Amiga Game Girls calendar for 2012. And that's only a few of the projects I'm involved with, I'm full of ideas and enthusiasm.

So, three years have passed that we could have been working together. How is the situation now? Was the decision to exclude three quarters of the Amiga community a good idea, or should Open Amiga have actually been true to its name from the start and been open for all Amiga development and support? How many fresh new developers have jumped onboard eager to learn to program for an obscure, expensive and uncertain platform decades after it had any chance of success?

I'll offer my advice again. Make Open Amiga a truly open community effort that includes OS3, Aros and MorphOS along with OS4 and actively promotes cooperation and teamwork within our community. Try to get over any biases you have against other Amiga systems and realize that we're in this together, our only chance may be to work together at last. I don't mean to force all projects to be cross-platform, but at least let us have the option to host projects that aren't specifically targeted at OS4. Anything started on one Amiga OS can always be ported to the others if there's enough support and encouragement.

So Open Amiga is asking for developers. Did they even think about where these developers are supposed to come from?

First of all, don't you think anyone who already owns OS4 and wants to program for it already knows about your site? Or do you think that someone who does not own OS4 or the hardware it runs on would spend months or years of their life writing software for you to use when they can't use it themselves?

What type of programmer do you want? Someone with no previous Amiga experience, who has only worked on Windows, Macs or some other non-Amiga platform, or would you prefer someone who grew up using Amigas and loves it enough to have stuck around, using one of the available options until now? Is a program ported from Aros so much worse than one ported from Linux?

I don't know where you expect to find new developers to join your effort, but I wish you luck. I hope that you will reconsider the purpose of a site like that and try being a little more reasonable.
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 10:10:33 PM »
Technically Hyperion have no right to "Open Amiga" only "Open AmigaOS"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2011, 10:17:25 PM »
Quote from: persia;633991
Technically Hyperion have no right to "Open Amiga" only "Open AmigaOS"

I'm pretty sure somebody already pointed out above that the openamiga.org is  independent of Hyperion.
int p; // A

Offline EDanaII

• Show only replies by EDanaII
    • http://www.EdwardGDanaII.info
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2011, 01:14:13 AM »
Quote from: eliyahu;633952
steven, i don't think you're being entirely fair here.  openamiga.org has existed for years now and is independent of hyperion.  i think steve solie just posted on the hyperion blog about it to call attention to it.

Ironically, I don't think that really changes anything. Speaking for myself, of course, I'd love to contribute, but their ain't nuthin' they're offering that's really worth it. And, no, I don't hate Hyperion.
Ed.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2011, 01:40:59 AM »
Quote from: Argo;633966
Yeah, Linux and BSD suck. Cheapos...

I was talking about Hyperion. They just want people to develop their software for free and then keep all the profit. The only Amiga platform i would volunteer for would be Aros. BTW i really like Linux and BSD.

p.s. internet surfing using a ps3 sucks  :(
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline persia

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2011, 03:34:01 AM »
Since HYperion have and own the code, how can you have an Open source AmigaOS without them?

Quote from: Karlos;633992
I'm pretty sure somebody already pointed out above that the openamiga.org is  independent of Hyperion.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline utri007

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2011, 06:48:18 AM »
It seems that you have only read titles ;) This is not about Amiga OS, it is about other software and help
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2011, 07:00:25 AM »
People are funny creatures. Exact same bit of text and different interperatations. Of all the "amiga" options OS4.x is the one Im least interested in, yet I read this text and thought, "cool, not a bad idea, trying to pool whatever development resources are available in an organised type manner" whereas others chose to argue semantincs over name "Open Amiga".

Just another demonstration of why my interest in amiga is dying. More than anything else its the "fans" that are destroying the system.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline persia

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2011, 12:19:56 PM »
It's profoundly silly to talk about an Open Amiga without actually opening up AmigaOS!  What's open, the case cover?

Quote from: utri007;634058
It seems that you have only read titles ;) This is not about Amiga OS, it is about other software and help
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2011, 12:25:48 PM »
Just one more time: Are they allowed to say Open Amiga.  
Shouldn't they say Open Sesame.?

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2011, 01:00:30 PM »
Quote from: gertsy;634083
Just one more time: Are they allowed to say Open Amiga.  
Shouldn't they say Open Sesame.?

No, they shouldnt, as it is also the name of a software app made by other company ;)
http://download.cnet.com/Open-Sesame/3000-2092_4-10481255.html

They should probably have no problems in saying "Open AmigaOne" though. LOL

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2011, 02:23:50 PM »
Quote from: Gulliver;634091
No, they shouldnt, as it is also the name of a software app made by other company ;)
http://download.cnet.com/Open-Sesame/3000-2092_4-10481255.html

They should probably have no problems in saying "Open AmigaOne" though. LOL

As redrumola pointed out on another forum, OpenAmiga used to be for Amiga OS and also Amiga related OSes such as MOS, AROS, and OS4.

But somebody (Björn Hagström aka Orgin) poached the domain when it expired and made it OS4 only, thus excluding the developers. Now they are begging them to come back. Sad.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 02:50:13 PM by jorkany »

Offline _ThEcRoW

• Show only replies by _ThEcRoW
« Reply #29 from previous page: April 28, 2011, 09:22:24 PM »
So, on what platform want the developers do their job?. PPC emulation under x86???. Crosscompiling isn't important here, as you need to check the code executing it.
Amiga 1200 desktop. Apollo 030/50 Mhz 8mb ram + ClassicWB + Wb 3.1
Amiga 500 + ACA500Plus + 16gb CF | ECS Power!!!
C64 DTV + Keyboard mod. Waiting for a 1541 disk ve...
Mac Mini G4 1.42Ghz 1gb OSX(tiger)/Morphos 3.7 Registered
C64mini + usb drive with loads of games...