Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Open Amiga  (Read 11228 times)

Description:

Offline ArgoTopic starter

• Show only replies by Argo
Open Amiga
« on: April 27, 2011, 04:53:45 AM »
From the Hyperion Entertainment Blog:

We often hear about software developers and eager users wanting to help the Amiga Operating System move forward with new functionality and bug fixes.
One way to get involved is by joining the Open Amiga effort. The Open Amiga web site has plenty of projects which software developers may want to tackle to enhance AmigaOS.
Open Amiga is not just for developers. Users may also contribute.

Needed personnel include:
* Developers and others who can join the main work group
* Interested parties that provide feedback in the forums
* People who can write developer guides and guidelines (how to's, do's and don'ts)
* Web developers for building the infrastructure
* People who gather available developer documentation from the net

Judging from the dates, many of the projects have fallen on hard times. Go ahead and grab one and start going.

http://blog.hyperion-entertainment.biz/?p=322

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
Re: Open Amiga
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 06:02:16 AM »
Much more interesting is the call for OS developers in the blog entry immediately following this one.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 07:37:51 AM »
Hmmmph *sticks nose up in air*. Cheap labour.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 11:43:36 AM »
Since the OS is closed source the term "open Amiga" is an oxymoron.  BSD, Linux, Haiku and AROS are open.  You want an Open Amiga then release the source code and let us work with it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline brownb2

• Show only replies by brownb2
    • http://www.silentdevelopment.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 12:24:39 PM »
Quote from: persia;633877
Since the OS is closed source the term "open Amiga" is an oxymoron.  BSD, Linux, Haiku and AROS are open.  You want an Open Amiga then release the source code and let us work with it.

+1

The Amiga OS as it stands is way behind the development curve of Linux and Windows, and while I certainly wouldn't say it's worthless, without large scale investment, allowing large scale development and publicity, it's going nowhere. Open sourcing is a way to get the large scale development and the publicity for "free".

If we could get it up to date, have it runnning QT, WxWidgets, Java, .Net, a posix layer (cygwin like) etc you're opening up to a whole new world of developers and compatibility with other more popular operating systems and architectures.

Then again we always have the open source Aros, MorphOS etc etc to eat away at whatever market share is left instead...
A600 (3.48/4.46 MIPS) - 2MB Chip, 4MB PCMCIA, 11MB Fast, ACA-620 OC 680EC20@16.67/25MHz, RTC, 512MB CF HD, WB 2.1
A1200 (7.36 MIPS) - 2MB Chip 8MB Fast, MTEC Viper 68030@42MHz MMU, 68882 FPU, RTC, 1GB CF HD, T.Turbo 2, 2 Ext. Floppies, WB 3.0.
Atari 520 STFM - 1MB, Multiface ST.
Commodore 16 - 64K Mod, SD2IEC Drive
Commodore 64C - 64K, SD2IEC Drive
ZX Spectrum 48K Rubber Key - 48K, Composite Mod
ZX Spectrum +2B - 128KB
ZX Spectrum +3 - 128KB, DivIDE+ 64MB CF HD, Multiface 3.

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 12:59:06 PM »
Quote from: persia;633877

+1

They are indeed looking for cheap labour for a closed source commercial OS that is even falling behind AROS in many places.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 01:07:10 PM »
Bloody name stealers! ;)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 02:22:51 PM »
All I know is php, the rest I have more os less forgotten.. Would love to help out, but I don't have the skills.. :(

Offline EDanaII

• Show only replies by EDanaII
    • http://www.EdwardGDanaII.info
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 03:08:50 PM »
If they put AmigaOS on hardware I could afford, I'd be happy to contribute. Until then, I won't waste my time... or money... :)
Ed.

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 03:17:16 PM »
Sorry but you OS4 lot have screwed the pooch.

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 04:00:41 PM »
Open Amiga? OS4 going open source?
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 04:59:15 PM »
Quote from: dammy;633915
Open Amiga? OS4 going open source?

Well it's not far off transforming into Linux as it is....
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 05:24:04 PM »
An Open (source) Amiga could be ported to the hardware of choice by those interested in doing so.  The best open source model is the one that developed in Linux.  Use that model.  Hyperion could serve in the role that Canonical does in Linux.  Merge Open Amiga and AROS.

Quote from: EDanaII;633904
If they put AmigaOS on hardware I could afford, I'd be happy to contribute. Until then, I won't waste my time... or money... :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 06:41:49 PM »
"Open Amiga? OS4 going open source? "

I agree with previous posters. If you want people to contribute you need to make it run on hardware anyone can afford. And also, starting an open source initiative for a closed source os is definitely cause for ridicule.

Why would people work for free on an os that is not open while they are selling 1000$ motherboards to run this os on and keeping all the money?

I also agree they are just looking for cheap (free) labor. You want to sell your os? Then PAY developers.

Thats ludicrous. IMHO.

Steven

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 06:47:49 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;633951
"Open Amiga? OS4 going open source? "

I agree with previous posters. If you want people to contribute you need to make it run on hardware anyone can afford. And also, starting an open source initiative for a closed source os is definitely cause for ridicule.

Why would people work for free on an os that is not open while they are selling 1000$ motherboards to run this os on and keeping all the money?

I also agree they are just looking for cheap (free) labor. You want to sell your os? Then PAY developers.

Thats ludicrous. IMHO.

Steven
steven, i don't think you're being entirely fair here.  openamiga.org has existed for years now and is independent of hyperion.  i think steve solie just posted on the hyperion blog about it to call attention to it.

and people have been working on those projects for years.  they are offered to OS4 users, not 'taken' by hyperion.  some have been added to OS4 as contributions over the years, but i think you guys are really misinterpreting all of this.  the only difference between this and normal development is that if you use the openamiga.org infrastructure, you are expected to keep your source open.  that's it.

@thread

this is not about OS4 going the FOSS route.  it's just calling attention to a site/community that has existed for years to those who might not know about it. i know this place isn't exactly full of people who like hyperion, but sheesh.

-- eliyahu
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 06:50:04 PM by eliyahu »
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."