Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga.org Disk-space and Bandwidth Issues to be resolved soon  (Read 10617 times)

Description:

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
Re: Amiga.org Disk-space and Bandwidth Issues to be resolved soon
« Reply #29 from previous page: February 04, 2011, 11:16:20 AM »
Me thinks our little foray into Web 2.0 might have something to do with the bandwidth usage increase as well...  Having said that it had to be done.  An having said that it can't hurt to say I'm also a subscriber, and it didn't hurt too much to do that....   (o:

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2011, 11:34:37 AM »
Quote from: johnklos;612346

Think about the difference between a Hyundai and a Jaguar the next time you think free hosting or $40 a month hosting is ideal for a site like this.

:confused:
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2011, 11:37:34 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;612372
:confused:

+ :confused: :confused:

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2011, 11:50:42 AM »
Quote from: Franko;612374
+ :confused: :confused:

+ :confused: :confused: :confused:

A Jaguar is a big cat and Hyundai is wot you say when you've had too much to smoke.

Offline johnklos

• Show only replies by johnklos
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2011, 06:00:09 PM »
Regarding the Hyundai / Jaguar comparison, Ok, it's not the best example, but which auto would you expect to be able to cruise at 120 mph in the desert with the A/C blasting?

Cheap hosting is available everywhere, but cheap can have issues. Sometimes they buy inexpensive hardware which fails as often as regular PC hardware, sometimes they just don't put it together properly (many times I've seen cables blocking airflow or putting tension on a heat sink, or heat sink compound which is improperly applied to CPUs), and sometimes they just don't treat it right (I/O bound load put on a hard drive attached directly to a sturdy metal case with no shock absorber, for instance). Generally, only the largest (Google, Amazon), premium, and some of the smaller / smallest hosting companies hire people who consider all of these issues.

Then there's server loading. How many other sites are hosted on a single server with a $40 hosting plan? Amiga.org wouldn't necessarily need to get too popular; one of the other sites on the server could gain popularity, or someone could piss off a script kiddie and start a (D)DoS, and poof! amiga.org is crawling or unavailable.

Whoever mentioned free hosting referring to offered hosting is right - sometimes people inside the community have more interest in keeping the site up and running than faceless hosting companies. I thought the reference was to free hosting where ads that the hosting company adds are placed in the site, but that wasn't what you were talking about.

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2011, 06:02:50 PM »
Quote from: Piru;612072
In january my mobile phone traffic alone was 51GB.

You just walked into that one Piru...

hehehe
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

Offline buzz

• Show only replies by buzz
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2011, 08:13:33 PM »
Quote from: johnklos;612480

Then there's server loading. How many other sites are hosted on a single server with a $40 hosting plan? Amiga.org wouldn't necessarily need to get too popular; one of the other sites on the server could gain popularity, or someone could piss off a script kiddie and start a (D)DoS, and poof! amiga.org is crawling or unavailable.

I mostly agree and I don't like hosting providers that oversell hugely, give you a crappy web admin panel on a shared machine with 1000 other users - However amiga.org has been living on shared hosting and has managed so perhaps my view on shared hosting is worse than the reality. Certainly there are some very decent Virtual Server offerings around now also - and so long as there is enough io/ram/cpu for all the users then things will be fine.

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2011, 11:17:16 AM »
Quote from: johnklos;612480
Then there's server loading. How many other sites are hosted on a single server with a $40 hosting plan?

It's a dedicated server so it runs exactly what you set it up to run.