Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ARM as a high-powered desktop CPU: Did not see that coming  (Read 5422 times)

Description:

Offline nicholas

Re: ARM as a high-powered desktop CPU: Did not see that coming
« on: January 06, 2011, 04:01:08 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;604322
From OSNews: http://www.osnews.com/story/24209/NVIDIA_Announces_ARM_CPU_for_Desktop_Server_HPC

And Microsoft is bringing Windows to ARM. This is getting weird.

Never underestimate the stubborn attitude of we Brits.

"If at first you don’t succeed, try and try again."

This is the sweet revenge of Acorn! :D
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 04:54:18 PM »
The 1GHz Qualcomm in this HD2 I'm typing from wipes the floor with the almost 2GHz Atom in my wife's Acer netbook and it's several generations old now.

Quote from: the_leander;604337
Nvidia have been banging on about their tegra gear for years.

Nothing has ever come of it, virtually nothing uses it afaik and the AC100 Toshiba netbook which came out recently and was reviewed by El Reg found that the software is years away from being usable.

Even MIPS has better software support.

So as far as ARM on the desktop goes... Lol, sorry, but it won't happen. Even in the NAS and home server/STB markets ARM is being pushed out by x86, specifically Atom.

It simply doesn't have either the software or the performance.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 05:17:38 PM »
Exactly, shit hot hardware but in this case shot hot software (Gingerbread on the internal NAND).

This runs UAE perfectly without dropping a frame and perfect audio.

The netbook can't do the same.

Quote from: the_leander;604341
I hope you've got some benchmarks to back that up. Because every review of the HD2 I've seen has said much the same: Good hardware let down by piss poor software.

Also, comparing a phone to a netbook which is doing a whole hell of a lot more, really?

Offline nicholas

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 05:36:58 PM »
Quote from: the_leander;604349
Again, citation needed.

You can see for yourself next time you come for a curry.

Right, and what else is the netbook doing? Is it running Vista or Win7, for instance?

Exactly the same as the phone is. Linux.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 05:50:34 PM »
Quote from: the_leander;604355
Hmm! And is my shout iirc...

Gonna have to book some time off in the none too distant future :D

Goodo, but what kind? Some lightweight distro like crunchbang or some full fat distro like Kubuntu?

Debian with LXDE.

I can run Ubuntu 9.10 on the HD2 though and it's nice and snappy.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 12:47:45 AM »
Quote from: whabang;604370
Bah, LXDE is big and bloated! I use a pure Openbox install with Guake as a terminal emulator. Only reason for having X is that I want a graphical web browser. ;)

You are aware you are boasting over what a woman in her 30's uses on her netbook aren't you? :lol:

Offline nicholas

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 01:40:11 PM »
Quote from: the_leander;604341
I hope you've got some benchmarks to back that up. Because every review of the HD2 I've seen has said much the same: Good hardware let down by piss poor software.

Also, comparing a phone to a netbook which is doing a whole hell of a lot more, really?

See attached screen shot, HD2 is the bar at the top.

http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=quadranty9dw.png
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 01:42:17 PM by nicholas »

Offline nicholas

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 02:05:12 AM »
Quote from: the_leander;604621
Perhaps. But as I said, the software just isn't there yet. And yes, I'm including android in that. Maybe Android 3.0 will be the one that sorts it all. But in all honesty I'm not holding my breath.

Android 2.2/2.3 are fine and dandy for moi, but just for you Alan.... :)

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/05/google-shows-off-android-3-0-the-entirely-for-tablet-honeycom/

Offline nicholas

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 05:52:43 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;604961
Yeah, no major complaints with 2.2 so far and that's on a fairly entry level smartphone.

It's total modularity is very Amiga-like and dare I say more of a successor to the Amiga philosophy than any other OS on the market today.