Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NASA Astrobiology News Conference  (Read 3495 times)

Description:

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
Re: NASA Astrobiology News Conference
« on: December 01, 2010, 12:51:23 AM »
Wonder if they've found me home planet... :)

(I've been picking up some strange signals recently in that alien implant in me brain, or it might just be Channel 4 :()

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 12:44:20 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;595770
Either that, or they mistook something that evolved from your vindaloos for an alien life form.

Speaking of which, Im just about to start making one of me slightly hot Vindaloos and have been trying to find the post where you recommended putting something in it... :)

I can't find the post and I know it wasn't a pepper, but pretty sure it was something green any chance you remember what it was yourself... :)

(Or is this what NASA is about to reveal... :))

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 03:05:10 PM »
Brocolli... :)

Im sure that was it... :)

Now I remember, I think I tried it and didn't like it... :(

Oh well, better start preparing it now... :)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 03:57:54 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;596042
My advice was that if you are making a vegetable curry, Broccoli and even cauliflower work well.

Of course, broccoli is made of pure, naturally-refined win, but that's not the point here.

Wassa vegetable... :confused:

No wonder it's didn't taste good, Oh well, nice big pot of Vindaloo happily simmering away right now... :)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 09:32:32 PM »
Gawd... what a let down... :(

Now if they'd just see what can survive in one of my Vindaloos that would be impressive... :)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 09:53:42 PM »
In recent years science has found bacteria and other simple life forms in all sort of places that only a few decades ago (or less) was thought impossible, undersea volcanic vent's, inside rocks in the dried out mud flats of death vally and so on.

It's only mans current technical limits and level of knowledge and understanding of the life and the universe that we only know what we do today. To me it will come as no great surprise what current and future research may find and reveal about the existence of life however small it may be or in which environments it may live.

The only one thing I find odd about current science and the search for life (ie:SETI) is the presumption that other forms of life out their would use radio waves to communicate, just because we haven't broken past this barrier yet doesn't mean that other life forms haven't either. They may use some other currently unknown to us form of communication that we have yet to even dream of... Just a thought... :)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 03:31:07 PM »
Quote from: whabang;596932
Pulses of infrared light.

I can't even communicate with my TV or DVD with an infrared remote control from certain parts of the room, let alone communicate across the vast expanses of space with it (could someone move them damn planets out of the way please...) ;)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 04:41:45 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;596981
Communication over interstellar distances using any electromagnetic energy is going to be a bit futile for anything with lives as brief as ours.

Whilst I'll never accept the theory that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light (and that's all it is, a theory) even if mankind does achieve interstellar space travel at lightspeed, how would you be able to communicate within a reasonable time period over such distances & speeds when as you say electromagnetic energy is totally futile.

I've seen one or two documentaries where they are working on various forms of communication using different areas of the light spectrum, but they all suffer from the same problems. Any light source (whether visible or invisable to the human eye) than man can create suffers from dissipation over such large distances and their would also be the need to reflect or bend them to reach their target.

Short of aliens landing or some genius coming up with something totally new, then as you say with 'lives as brief as ours' it's gonna be several more millennia before mankind even breaches our own little solar system... :)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 05:15:04 PM »
@ Karlos

Yes it has been as you say 'experimentally demonstrated' but it's not the point I was trying to make. While science to me is my religion I still question a lot of it, even the proven stuff. The whole problem with science is it's limited by the human imagination.

Just because we can't yet prove to ourselves that lightspeed without "cheating" eg: the bending of space and time, cannot be exceeded and is therefore the fastest speed possible. I'm pretty certain that there is something yet to be discovered that would blow the socks off the speed of light.

Just as the topic of this thread turned out to be about these hithertoo unknown bacteria having only just been discovered, so are a lot more things yet to be discovered that neither you nor I or even the best scientific minds could even at this point in time begin to even have the slightest inkling of even coming up with. It's all a matter of time (hmm... time something we live our lives by and yet it's merely another human concept and only exists in our own little human minds, but that's a whole other subject...) ;)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 01:25:19 AM »
The point I  am making though is what are the chances that some far off civilization followed the same route as us ie: electricity, radio waves etc...
It's only human arrogance that we propose and surmise that any other life form out their must use the same technologies & science that we do... :)