Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Commodore: a Company on the Edge (book)  (Read 2489 times)

Description:

Offline bbagnallTopic starter

• Show only replies by bbagnall
Commodore: a Company on the Edge (book)
« on: November 29, 2010, 05:21:17 AM »
Hi everyone. I’m happy to report that my new book, Commodore: a Company on the Edge, is now available from VariantPress.com. This is a heavily reworked edition with about 40% new material. Before starting this project I made a list of everything that I would have liked to include in the first edition. The main areas I wanted to work on were: more interviews to fill in gaps in the story, reorder the material chronologically and add more period photographs. It was very important to me to put all this material in the right order so readers could read a coherent, chronological retelling of Commodore history. This time you can relive the Commodore experience in real-time.

Originally the goal was to keep the same page count as the first edition. That turned out to be overly optimistic. After 15 new interviews and a lot of new stories, plus numerous pictures, there was no way to make it all fit. As a result, the story has been split in two. The first book ends in 1984 when Jack Tramiel is forced out of the company and the next book will focus on the Amiga years and Commodore’s eventual demise.

There are many new firsthand interviews:
Brian Dougherty – GEOS developer
John Feagans – PET developer
Andy Finkel – Commodore game developer
Bill Gardei – C65 systems engineer
Neil Harris – Commodore game developer and marketing
Manfred Kapp – Commodore cofounder
Dale Luck – Amiga developer
Bill Mensch – 6502 and 65816 designer
Dick Sanford – Chief Financial Officer of Commodore
Bill Seiler – PET, VIC-20 systems engineer/surfer
Kit Spencer – Commodore’s marketing guru
Yash Terakura – Commodore Japan engineer
Michael Tomczyk – VIC product manager and marketing
Plus additional fact-checking interviews with Chuck Peddle, Bil Herd and Bob Yannes. I did get a chance to talk with Jack Tramiel briefly but didn't get any new material from him unfortunately.

I don't want to ruin too many surprises, but I will mention a few things. First, thanks to John Feagans, an avid photographer, the book is populated with outstanding period photographs. One of the biggest surprises for me was finding out that current Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata started his career programming VIC-20 games for Commodore Japan. The book digs deeper into actor William Shatner’s association with Commodore and reveals some interesting tidbits. There is also a firsthand account of the horrifying PET Jet disaster. Lots of new changes like that.

The book will be available in stores in about a month. If you need it for Christmas you can get it immediately from my publisher, Variant Press, which distributes signed copies from its website.
www.variantpress.com

Offline hishamk

Re: Commodore: a Company on the Edge (book)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 10:33:59 AM »
Awesome :)

Got the first edition.

Any upgrade pricing? ;)
2x A1000, 2x A2000, 1x A3000, 4x A1200, 3x A500, 1x CDTV, 1x CD32, 2x Pegasos II, 1x EFIKA

Offline nadoom

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 04:38:01 PM »
Any chance of a Kindle version? :-)
?وإلل وإلل وإلل, وأت د وي هف هر ثهن

Offline pwermonger

• Show only replies by pwermonger
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 01:14:12 AM »
Purchased! thanks for getting this out I cant wait to read the additional parts since I do already have the first edition.

Please consider eventually releasing it in electronic format. I would buy a second copy to have in my kindle reader! If it is an issue of worry over piracy, when the paper copies are sold out please consider moving it to electronic. eventually they ran out of copies and people could no longer get it besides way overpriced auctions. Electronic would both continue to allow people to get it and allow you to continue to make money from it after it is no longer printed.

Offline cpfuture

• Show only replies by cpfuture
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 06:29:36 PM »
Fantastic! Just ordered a copy. The first edition was a great read. Any idea on when the second part will be released?

Offline Pentad

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 08:24:30 PM »
Yep, I purchased mine yesterday.  I also bought the first version when it was released a few years ago.  I thought that was a great book as well.

Keep up the great work!

-P
Linux User (Arch & OpenSUSE TW) - WinUAE via WINE

Offline dannyp1

• Show only replies by dannyp1
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 11:55:25 PM »
I ordered my copy today also.

Offline Pentad

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 10:04:12 PM »
Yeah, it shipped today!   Has anyone received theirs yet?

Cheers!
-P
Linux User (Arch & OpenSUSE TW) - WinUAE via WINE

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 03:16:19 PM »
Just ordered it. Will probably take about 2 months to get here with surface mail =).

Offline dannyp1

• Show only replies by dannyp1
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 08:38:47 PM »
I got an email today that said my book shipped Wednesday.  It said I should have it in 5 to 10 days.