Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bug in the Camera Zoom function.  (Read 2913 times)

Description:

Offline Ral-ClanTopic starter

• http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
Bug in the Camera Zoom function.
« on: January 16, 2011, 09:20:57 PM »
Can anyone using Aladdin check something for me?  Especially those of you using Aladdin4d on a real Amiga.

I think there is a bug in the camera "zoom" function when using different screen modes.

I am using it under UAE, but I don't think that matters, as I have tried all sorts of different configurations and got the same results.  

I use Aladdin4d under RTG screenmodes usually of higher resolution.  When I render items using the "normal" view (without a camera) everything renders fine at any resolution.  I have even rendered scenes in 1920x1080 and have no problems.

When I add a camera to the scene and render it through the camera's perspective at 320x200 screenmode resolution, everything behaves normally.

But when I render through the camera view to a screenmode greater THAN 320x200, the render is strange.  Usually, the scene appears farther away than it should and if I bring the camera closer to make up for it, there is always clipping of the image at the left and right.  (This is when the Camera's ZOOM function is set to 100% - which is the default).

So, in higher resolution modes I have to play with the Camera Zoom function to get the rendered image to fill the whole screen.

For instance, lets say I am rendering a scene with a Camera setup for 100% ZOOM.
If I render the scene to a 320x200 HAM screen everything is normal.

If I change to 640x400 (HAM or RTG) then render the same screen, the rendered object will suddenly appear much farther away.  If I then move the camera closer to make up for this and re-render, the object will be "clipped" on the left and right side.  

(click to enlarge)

BUT the background will not be clipped.  This is very strange.  Also notice that the clipped parts of the rendered object have jagged lines coming out of them.

I have to set the Camera's zoom to 260% before all clipping is eliminated.

If I render to an 800x600 screen I have to set the zoom to 320% to eliminate all clipping.
And strangely, if I render to a 1920x1080 RTG screenmode I have to set the Zoom to 195% (yes, lower!) to eliminate all clipping.

So as you can see, you have to play with the zoom, but I can't believe this is the way the designer intended things to run.
This is also evident when you do a wireframe preview animations.  The wireframe is simply cut off on the left an right if you leave the zoom at 100% and the object is close to the camera.
Can someone try rendering an object at different resolutions using a camera and see if they get the same results?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 09:26:25 PM by ral-clan »
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

Offline Ral-ClanTopic starter

• http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
Re: Bug in the Camera Zoom function.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 09:46:49 PM »
I did some more playing and I've found the root of the problem.  The Camera Zoom function is not consistent when you change the resolution of the editor screen.  i.e. lets say you create a whole scene with your editor set in 800x600RTG mode.  Everything looks great.  Then you change the editor screenmode to 640x400 or 1280x768 - well when you load back the same scene and render it, it will look different because the Camera "zoom" will not be the same (even though the value for the camera zoom has not changed in the Camera parameter window).

So this must be a bug.

I suppose the original programmer never imagined people would be running this software in such high resolution screenmodes.  I guess Nova Design never caught on either.  This definitely should be fixed.  I will contact DiscreetFX.
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com