Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: In desparate need of a flyback for 1084S-D1! Please HELP!  (Read 9468 times)

Description:

Offline TakeShadTopic starter

• Show only replies by TakeShad
Re: In desparate need of flyback for 1084S-D1! Please HELP!
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 03:48:40 PM »
Quote from: JimS;580481
Did you check the solder joints on the flyback? I've seen a lot of 1084's fail because the joints to the circuit board open up. With the high frequencies in the flyback, it tends to vibrate & break the solder joints, which can just open up, or even arc & spark then burn up. It's worth a shot to touch up those solder joints & see what happens.
(Insert obligatory Danger Lethal Voltage warning here!)

http://www.suburban-electronics.com/products/Flybacks%2C-Yokes-%26-HV-Dividers---Flybacks---DAEWOO
No, the flyback is dead. I have given the monitor to a service shop and I have been told that it's deadly dead. Nothing can be done with it. As for the link you've posted - it's a great shop and the price is excellent but do they accept paypal and do they ship overseas? :<
Quote from: wolfchild
What you need is here:
http://www.hrshop.es/index.php?comma...l=1084&x=0&y=0

Prices vary depending on model, but you might find one within you budget
Surprisingly, hrshop.es doesn't have HR46045 any more but even if it was there - the price would be an overkill. The prices in that shop are ridiculously high.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 03:56:34 PM by TakeShad »

Offline hardlink

• Show only replies by hardlink
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 04:06:08 PM »
Quote from: Jiffy;580423
 Last time I checked, Poland <> Chicago... :-)

Looks like you have never been to Chicago - seriously. At least some parts of it.

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 05:08:07 PM »
Jokes aside, please. This is a serious flyback business.

But if we are touching the subject... Is there a Chicago Pole here willing to help?

Offline Tenacious

• Show only replies by Tenacious
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2010, 11:15:38 PM »
Quote from: TakeShad;580545
Jokes aside, please. This is a serious flyback business.

But if we are touching the subject... Is there a Chicago Pole here willing to help?

Working 1084s are in short supply everywhere.  Ppl value them almost as much as Amigas, repair them when they fail.  Our community is facing a monitor crisis.  That's why several of us have tried to point out inexpensive work-arounds and HD adapters.

Offline Plaz

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2010, 11:59:57 PM »
Try this link, they may have the correct one for your model.

http://www.hrshop.es/index.php?command=search&by=marca_model&marca=COM&model=1084

Commodore 1084S D = DaeWoo CMC 1412A

Here is also a list of Equivalent Flybacks to search for.
I have found some of these in stock on the internet, but you may need to find one close to your home.

HR46045
DCF1580
DCF1580E
KFS60559 (Deawoo)
BSC23-21550
MSH-1FCT31 (MSH1FCT31)

Plaz
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 12:53:45 AM by Plaz »

Offline nyteschayde

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by nyteschayde
    • http://www.nyteshade.com
Re: In desparate need of a flyback for 1084S-D1! Please HELP!
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 08:53:22 AM »
Check your private messages.
Senior MTS Software Engineer with PayPal
Amigas: A1200T 060/603e PPC • A1200T 060 • A4000D 040 • A3000 (x2) • A2000 Vamp/V2 • A1200 (x4) • A1000 (x3) • A600 Vamp/V1 • A500

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2010, 09:54:23 AM »
@nyteschayde Thank you so much, it will help enormously!

@Plaz: Sadly, HRShop doesn't have HR46045 any more, like I said before. As for that Equivalent Flybacks list - I know all of the equivalents but I have only found MSH1FCT31. I wanted to buy it but A) it's expensive (but now I will be able to buy it) B) I have been told that replacing a flyback is a tricky business and there are many problems with high voltage if you're using anything other that the original model. Will MSH1FCT31 really work?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 11:31:06 AM by TakeShad »

Offline Plaz

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2010, 12:48:16 PM »
Typically I've found cross referenced parts work well. There is always that 1% chance a substitute part does not perform. I was able to track this flyback information from serveral sources, so personally I would not have a problem installing the substitue.

Over 27 years I've repaired a couple thousand monitors, replace hundreds of flybacks and often used substituted parts when necessary. Another thing that's VERY important in high voltage section repair is to find and replace any other componets that failed along with the flyback. Often a flyback will wipe out other parts when it fails. How often I've seen techs replace a couple of bad parts, turn on the monitor and fry the same parts all over again. :P All bad parts must be identified and replaced before turning it on again.

It's also possible for other components to die that give the appearance that the flyback has failed when it hasn't. In the case of your 1084S though, flyback is a common failure. I'm not bashing your tech guys, and they might be great. But I'll just warn that I've also repaired monitors first looked at by other techs. I think the repair was too difficult for them so they claimed flyback failure and gave large repair esimates I guess in the hope that the customer would go away.

If possible have your techs replace EVERY electrolytic capacitor. After 20+ years, they are all bad or going bad and can cause a bad picture or a newly repaired monitor to fail again. They are not very expensive. The whole monitor can probably be done for $10-20US

One last item... I have seen monitors that have "leaky" picture tubes. (at least 2 of them were 1084's) The bad picture tube causes the flyback and high voltage circuit to be over worked, run hot and fail again soon. This is rare, but worth knowing if you get your monitor repaired and it dies again after a short time.

BTW, you can get a look at my most recent monitor repair here.... :)
http://s544.photobucket.com/albums/hh331/PlazinJavelin/StarGate/

Good luck

Plaz

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2010, 01:03:12 PM »
The man that I have given the monitor to is a 30+-year-in-the-business friend of my dad. I don't know how good he is but I think he's quite good.

He said that the flyback died along with a resistor that made the flyback going. He took care of the resistor in a few minutes and also repaired the power switch but he failed at finding a replacement for the flyback and then he said that if I can find one myself, he will repair the monitor easily.

I hope he's right and there's nothing more than the dead flyback.

As for the picture tube of my 1084S-D - it's in great shape, that I am certain of.

BTW - great gallery!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 01:12:00 PM by TakeShad »

Offline hardlink

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2010, 04:10:49 PM »
Quote from: TakeShad;580639
The man that I have given the monitor to is a 30+-year-in-the-business friend of my dad. I don't know how good he is but I think he's quite good.

If he has been around that long perhaps he knows someone that still rewinds flybacks - yes, in the 'old days' when a living room color tv in the U.S. cost (http://www.tvhistory.tv/tv-prices.htm) one third of a new car (http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1960-1969-volkswagen-beetle1.htm)  there were places that rewound them.

The flyback is part of the tuned circuit of the horizontal deflection amplifier, so you *probably* need to replace it. If you could get away with just supplying the HV from an external source, they are not hard to build:

http://www.powerlabs.org/flybackdriver.htm

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2010, 04:17:18 PM »
He told me that it's no use in rewinding flybacks because a regenerated flyback will die very quickly - it will live for a few months at best. Also, there's a big risk that something will be wrong and the whole monitor can just kick the bucket.

As for building my own flyback - I would just kill myself with the HV...

Offline Plaz

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2010, 08:12:21 PM »
Sounds like you have the right person to repair your monitor then. Just need the correct part.

As for winding your own... not unless you're an expert. I havn't done a winding myself since 1977 and that was just for testing. I didn't use it in a repair. HV is normally 12,000 - 36,000 volts. You don't want to mess with that.

Plaz

Edit:typo

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2010, 05:38:08 PM »
I have given up on the flyback at this point. It's too expensive and there is a risk that a replacment part will not work with my 1084S-D, as I have been told by some tech guys.

The hope is not dead yet, though. Thanks to the help of a very generous and kind man, I may be able to buy a new monitor. Ebay is out of the picture since shipping to Poland is truly pricey (sometimes it's over 60 EUR). Thankfully, we have a Polish web auction site that lists two 1084S-D right now. The problem is that those auctions generated a hell of attention and many people are bidding.

http://allegro.pl/commodore-1084s-d2-komplet-z-kartonem-patrz-opis-i1238069821.html
http://allegro.pl/monitor-commodore-1084s-black-cdtv-cd-tv-i1242864321.html

I don't even dream about the black one since it's considered a rarity among Polish Amiga fans and the price will be very high. But thanks to the help of the person I've mentioned above, I might just have enough money for the regular white one... It all depends how the listing will turn out.

Offline hardlink

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2010, 08:30:03 PM »
Quote from: TakeShad;580846
Thankfully, we have a Polish web auction site that lists two 1084S-D right now.

I am surprised by two things; One, that I could read, or at least understand, much of the Polish technical text on the site; Two, that the monitor markings, shipping boxes, even the manual was in English - I thought CBM was more internationalized than that. Especially since the founder was from Poland!

Offline tone007

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2010, 08:44:08 PM »
Gołąbki!
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

« Reply #29 from previous page: September 23, 2010, 08:45:08 PM »
There was no official support from Commodore International in Poland until 1991 and even after that the support was weak. Most people here imported things from Germany.

Gołąbki!
I don't eat them. I am a vegetarian.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 08:47:21 PM by TakeShad »