Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Thinking of buying a Mac Mini for Morph OS - Questions  (Read 14883 times)

Description:

Offline MaDDuck

• Show only replies by MaDDuck
Re: Thinking of buying a Mac Mini for Morph OS - Questions
« Reply #59 from previous page: July 02, 2010, 09:32:06 PM »
Quote from: zylesea;568563
Well, if you have few bucks left to spare and a little real estate on yor desktop/lining room/hobby room/#? room (in case of a mini only 256 cm² are required) to waste then you know what is to do next...

Which is funny!!!!

I already have a Mac Mini (C2D), so an intel one would fit right in, I'd just head to decalgirl.com for a cover sticker for the top.

My last Mac before that? An eMac.

"Dance like no ones watching, love like you\'ve never been hurt, work like you dont need the money,and laugh like no ones listening!"
- Unknown

Offline Golem!dk

• Show only replies by Golem!dk
    • http://www.google.com/
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2010, 10:13:10 PM »
Quote from: MaDDuck;568654
I already have a Mac Mini (C2D), so an intel one would fit right in, I'd just head to decalgirl.com for a cover sticker for the top.

Another Intel mini wouldn't be of much use for MorphOS ;)
~

Offline MaDDuck

• Show only replies by MaDDuck
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2010, 10:15:25 PM »
yup!! That means that I would have to buy an older computer! Luckily those G4 mini's are affordable. I wonder, how much better business has been since there has been mini and eMac support?

"Dance like no ones watching, love like you\'ve never been hurt, work like you dont need the money,and laugh like no ones listening!"
- Unknown

Offline RMK305Topic starter

• Show only replies by RMK305
« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2010, 07:00:25 PM »
I bet the sale have been boosted by the new hardware support. To be honest, if the Mac Mini support wasn't there I wouldn't be considering it now. Making the OS support abundent cheap hardware opens it up to so many more people looking to tinker. If OS4.1 would run on something like the Mac Mini I would have had it already as up to now I didn't know too much about Morph.
Amiga 4000, Warp Engine 040/40MHz, CV643D with scan doubler module, Tocatta soundcard, Deneb, 72Meg fast ram, 18 gig scsi hard drive.

3xA500, 1xA1200, 1xCD32

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2010, 11:05:04 PM »
Quote from: Fab;568404
Many games (including the SDL ones) and emulators (snes9x, mame, mess, genesisplus, amigenerator, ...)  support joystick directly too. Which ones didn't?

FPSE
SNES9x works, but the button assignments are in the wrong places
MAME does not interact with the Joypad for me, nor did I see how to activate it in the docs
PrBOOM (DOOM Clone) Needed because their are issues with the mouse moving the character even when you tell it not to.
Virtual Boy Advanced

I forget what else, but there are more I had issues with, some of the ones you mentioned I've not tested yet.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Fab

• Show only replies by Fab
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2010, 12:17:31 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;568993
FPSE
SNES9x works, but the button assignments are in the wrong places
MAME does not interact with the Joypad for me, nor did I see how to activate it in the docs
PrBOOM (DOOM Clone) Needed because their are issues with the mouse moving the character even when you tell it not to.
Virtual Boy Advanced

I forget what else, but there are more I had issues with, some of the ones you mentioned I've not tested yet.

- "new" FPSE doesn't support joypad, because it was written at a time OS4 didn't support joypads at all, and the author didn't support lowlevel.library for whatever reason in the morphos port. But of course, one can bind buttons/directions to keys in poseidon HID prefs. :)

- What's wrong in Snes9X, exactly? Which buttons are wrong?

- In MAME, go to "default configuration" and click "settings". In input section, check "joypad", and uncheck "mouse". Then when you start a game, press tab, go to "input (general)" -> "player 1 controls", and configure the key bindings.

- In VisualBoyAdvance, it's entirely done by SDL itself, so unless the the program doesn't support joysticks, it should just work (can't test that atm).
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 12:21:10 AM by Fab »

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2010, 12:32:36 AM »
The Mame I'm using  is command line only. The GUI based one would not even load for me...

FPSE - Let's pray we get an update then because I'm having ZERO luck with Poseidon even now that I have docs and tutorials and all.  And I do consider my self a mark above daft so I dunno what's up. :/

Snes9x - It's like A is where X should be and vice versa. I.E. In a correct set up the button to make Mario run is right next to the button to make him jump, this way you can hold run and press jump without issues. Where as the emulator place the buttons across from one another so holding run while pressing jump becomes a chore.
Naturally my trigger buttons are not assigned as the trigger buttons, etc. Seeing as how the Original incarnation of this emulator allows you to set your key config, I don't see why this port left that feature out.

Atari800 - Add that to the list. In full screen it appears "like so many non-windows OS games) in  a very small window in the upper left hand corner of the screen, and of course has no joystick input that I can find.

Virtual Boy Advanced - Well unless there is an alt version out there, this command line version does not seem to even notice I have a joystick plugged in at all, unless there is a command to enable it that I'm not seeing.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Fab

« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2010, 12:45:23 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;568997
The Mame I'm using  is command line only. The GUI based one would not even load for me...

Aeeeh, which MAME version are you using exactly? I hope it's not some outdated warpos or 68k version, at least. Please use the latest one at: http://fabportnawak.free.fr/mame/mame-0.120.lha.

It works in both GUI and Command line mode, but the GUI mode requires an additional gui_gfx.mcc, available at http://aminet.net/dev/mui/MCC_Guigfx.lha.

FPSE - Let's pray we get an update then because I'm having ZERO luck with Poseidon even now that I have docs and tutorials and all.  And I do consider my self a mark above daft so I dunno what's up. :/

Well, i'm sure you'll get it right at some point. Basically you just need to send a press and release event, AFAIR.

Snes9x - It's like A is where X should be and vice versa. I.E. In a correct set up the button to make Mario run is right next to the button to make him jump, this way you can hold run and press jump without issues. Where as the emulator place the buttons across from one another so holding run while pressing jump becomes a chore.

The mapping is correct on my joystick, so I guess it depends on moon phase and joypad constructors good will. Anyway, if you really want, i can build a version with swapped X and A. The keys are also configurable in snes9x with input.ini, but i didn't make the joypad one configurable, unfortunately. And the trigger L and R buttons are well mapped, here.

Atari800 - Add that to the list. In full screen it appears "like so many non-windows OS games) in  a very small window in the upper left hand corner of the screen, and of course has no joystick input that I can find.

I'll try it. But since it's SDL, it should also work. :)

Virtual Boy Advanced - Well unless there is an alt version out there, this command line version does not seem to even notice I have a joystick plugged in at all, unless there is a command to enable it that I'm not seeing.

I'll tell you when i find my joystick again.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2010, 01:01:33 AM »
What brand of Joypad do you use?

Offline Fab

« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2010, 01:03:19 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;568999
What brand of Joypad do you use?

Some crappy logitech dual action joypad, where direction hat is really badly designed. :)

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2010, 01:08:20 AM »
I think that's what I have...

Hmmm...

I'm planning on getting a different controller soon, then I'll be able to compare them.

I wonder if the XBOX 360 USB controller would work in MorphOS, of if special drivers would need to be written.

Offline Fab

« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2010, 01:15:39 AM »
Yes, that's the one I have. Now i just have to find it again, grmbl. :)

[EDIT]

Ok, finally found it.

So I tested default joypad configuration, and poseidon's default lowlevel mapping doesn't match the cd32 joypad layout for the buttons on this joypad, which explains why buttons are a bit messed up with snes9x. So just change the actions to the correct cd32 button colours. See http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_BDCqpuwRnf4/Sc4L6spIOuI/AAAAAAAAFBU/70vNd3o3hZE/s400/CD32.JPG if needed.
I suppose you'll figure out how this works, but anyway:
- Check "track incoming events" and "report current value" (to make it easier)
- For each button you press, it will show the related action (
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 02:01:47 AM by Fab »

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2010, 10:02:13 PM »
@Fab: Thank you sir, I'll take this information hope and have a try.

Offline jacadcaps

• Show only replies by jacadcaps
    • http://dreamolers.meanmachine.ch
« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2010, 09:26:08 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;569001
I wonder if the XBOX 360 USB controller would work in MorphOS, of if special drivers would need to be written.

No, the XBox360 wireless/usb controller will not work because it's not a standard joypad device (hello, it's m$ we're talking about, they always have their own substandards ;). I am however working on a driver, so it might work at some point - depends on my amount of free time / motivation to mess with usb though, so I cannot really promise anything.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2010, 11:38:25 AM »
xbox controller works out of box on ubuntu so drivers must be there in linux :)
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"