Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Thinking of buying a Mac Mini for Morph OS - Questions  (Read 14887 times)

Description:

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
Re: Thinking of buying a Mac Mini for Morph OS - Questions
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 12:45:20 PM »
My eMac came with 256MiB of ram, last night I upgraded it to 1.5GiB of ram and I can't tell the difference.

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 12:49:58 PM »
Quote from: koaftder;568380
My eMac came with 256MiB of ram, last night I upgraded it to 1.5GiB of ram and I can't tell the difference.

Yeah, the difference would only appear if you'd run out of memory. That's not totally unheard of, at least if you like to use Ram Disk a lot. It clearly depends on the stuff you do.

Offline RMK305Topic starter

• Show only replies by RMK305
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2010, 01:37:46 PM »
Thanks for all the info.

The CRT monitor would only be a stop gap until funds were available to buy a flatscreen. I notice a lot of the ones for sale don't include keyboards or mice, I presume this is due to them being sold seperatley due to Apple charging a high price for these?

Anyone know the going price for the Mini's?

Cheers
Amiga 4000, Warp Engine 040/40MHz, CV643D with scan doubler module, Tocatta soundcard, Deneb, 72Meg fast ram, 18 gig scsi hard drive.

3xA500, 1xA1200, 1xCD32

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2010, 01:41:53 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;568363
Youtube issues resolved.

Glad to read that. I tried youtube enabling html5 and Fab youtube scripts and it worked correctly fullscreen even on a peg1 April2 with 600Mhz G3.
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2010, 01:46:43 PM »
Quote from: RMK305;568384
Thanks for all the info.

The CRT monitor would only be a stop gap until funds were available to buy a flatscreen. I notice a lot of the ones for sale don't include keyboards or mice, I presume this is due to them being sold seperatley due to Apple charging a high price for these?

Anyone know the going price for the Mini's?

Cheers

Apple branded mice and keyboards aren't usually included, but you can use most standard USB mice and keyboards. G4 Mac Minis seem to go for between ~$180 and ~$300 depending on CPU speed, RAM and if KB/mouse are included.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline Fab

• Show only replies by Fab
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2010, 02:53:28 PM »
Quote from: pVC;568362
HTML5 is much faster than Flash, as Piru said, but I'd recommend you to install GetVideo to get the best performance in video streaming. Videos are played with mplayer instead embedded in the browser, it uses much less cpu and you can even continue browsing on other pages instead of having to wait video on the same page! :)

Playing separately with MPlayer is fine, of course, but MPlayer isn't really more performant than OWB (except OWB has altivec disabled in 1.7/1.8, but that will change with 1.9). OWB performance using HTML5 in fullscreen mode (youtube_fullscreen.js script needed, since youtube broke it) is just about the same as MPlayer, and for a good reason: same decoding library (ffmpeg), same video output code (i reused MPlayer overlay blitter there).

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2010, 02:55:39 PM »
I got a 1.5GHz model for a steal at well under $200. Keep your eyes on craiglist for a few weeks - I think you're more likely to find a seller there who just wants to get rid of the thing rather than get top dollar.

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2010, 02:56:42 PM »
Quote from: Piru;568381
Yeah, the difference would only appear if you'd run out of memory. That's not totally unheard of, at least if you like to use Ram Disk a lot. It clearly depends on the stuff you do.

Not knowing anything about the underlying architecture of MorphOS, I wasn't sure if adding the extra ram would increase the performance any. On OS X trying to use the system with 256 is a waste of time, even though it's not swapping. I'd never even consider using OS X without at least 1 GiB of ram. Don't some of these operating system kernels use the extra ram available for caches and/or use different algorithms for things where the extra memory available is more optimal? And I'm not complaining either, the performance of MorphOS is excellent. It boots in seconds, OWB loads in like a second and plays youtube videos on the machine without a hitch. Got the SDK issue ironed out so all the familiar tools are available. I'm a happy guy, I've been using the machine a lot.

One thing I've noticed though, if the screen resolution is high enough, when a window get stretched out after a certain length, it starts to lag on the stretch operation. What's the cause of that?

Offline Fab

• Show only replies by Fab
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2010, 02:58:42 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;568359

As for Joystick support, eUAE is one of those few programs that seem to support it directly, and yes as stated above, you can remap your joystick buttons to Keyboard buttons via Poseidon, but thus far I'm having trouble finding documentation that tells me exactly how to go about this.

Many games (including the SDL ones) and emulators (snes9x, mame, mess, genesisplus, amigenerator, ...)  support joystick directly too. Which ones didn't?

Offline jacadcaps

• Show only replies by jacadcaps
    • http://dreamolers.meanmachine.ch
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2010, 03:26:34 PM »
Quote from: koaftder;568403
One thing I've noticed though, if the screen resolution is high enough, when a window get stretched out after a certain length, it starts to lag on the stretch operation. What's the cause of that?

That most likely means that you are running out of video ram.

Offline halvliter'n

• Show only replies by halvliter'n
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2010, 03:39:24 PM »
-MODERATED- First warning
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 04:29:19 PM by redrumloa »
Commodore64+TheFinalCartridgeIII+CBM1541, A500+512slow+1084, A1200+BPPC060+Bvision+AOS3.9

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2010, 04:09:40 PM »
@halvlitern

Do you need to annoy about this everytime? I dont like macs too but with morphos they fly.
a1200 060

Offline halvliter'n

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2010, 04:18:53 PM »
Quote from: kickstart;568418
@halvlitern

Do you need to annoy about this everytime? I dont like macs too but with morphos they fly.

Yes, I need. As I see it, has not Apple and Mac something to do on an amiga forum, whatever morphOS mean.
Commodore64+TheFinalCartridgeIII+CBM1541, A500+512slow+1084, A1200+BPPC060+Bvision+AOS3.9

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2010, 04:31:08 PM »
Quote from: halvliter'n;568423
Yes, I need. As I see it, has not Apple and Mac something to do on an amiga forum, whatever morphOS mean.

You have been asked politely not to troll, so you have now been given your first official warning.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline halvliter'n

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2010, 04:33:34 PM »
Quote from: redrumloa;568426
You have been asked politely not to troll, so you have now been given your first official warning.

I do not see it as trolling, but anyway..

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #29 from previous page: July 01, 2010, 04:52:06 PM »
Quote from: halvliter'n;568423

You bring this up constantly, we have heard you, but I for one do not agree with you.

Now to the OP I got a Mac Mini 1,42GHz and I think it's great with 1GB of ram in MorphOS:)
I saw a quite big diffrence between 512MB RAM and 1GB but then I use RAMDisk alot :)