Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Just picked up a eMac 1.25Ghz this morning.  (Read 11974 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Re: Just picked up a eMac 1.25Ghz this morning.
« Reply #29 from previous page: June 13, 2010, 07:02:14 PM »
Oh, so the exchange rate has changed since dude man above got it for $50...

SUCK! :/
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline techie

• Show only replies by techie
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2010, 08:33:42 PM »
Just curious; does the airport extreme wireless card work with MorphOS on the eMac?  I also recently picked up a eMac and I'm tempted to grab a wireless card for it on eBay but I can't seem to find anything that says whether or not it works with MorphOS.

Offline Andre.Siegel

• Show only replies by Andre.Siegel
    • http://www.power2people.org
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2010, 09:01:33 PM »
@ techie

MorphOS does not support eMac wi-fi modules. If you rely on a wi-fi network, you are best advised to buy a so-called wi-fi bridge, which can be connected to your eMac's ethernet port. The configuration of your wi-fif bridge is usually done via web browser (OWB). Some smaller wi-fi bridges do not require a cable and can be plugged right into an ethernet connector even.

Offline techie

• Show only replies by techie
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2010, 09:56:26 PM »
Quote from: Andre.Siegel;564478
@ techie

MorphOS does not support eMac wi-fi modules. If you rely on a wi-fi network, you are best advised to buy a so-called wi-fi bridge, which can be connected to your eMac's ethernet port. The configuration of your wi-fif bridge is usually done via web browser (OWB). Some smaller wi-fi bridges do not require a cable and can be plugged right into an ethernet connector even.
@Andre.Siegel

Thanks for your reply; I thought that might be the case but figured it couldn't hurt to ask :)  I guess I'll just need to run a cable for now.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2010, 10:12:12 PM »
Quote from: xdelusion
MorphOS is available for $50 atm

Quote from: Colani1200;564424
Where?

I don't recommend this, but you can probably find a used Efika with a paid MorphOS license key for around $80 to $120 with a case, pico-PSU & power brick, plus the needed 90 degree PCI to AGP adapter and a video card (probably a Radeon 9250 w/128mb VRAM).  You take the Efika mobo out of the case, sell the case, pico-PSU & power brick, and the video card with the 90 degree PCI to AGP adapter for as much as you can get for them and then electrically fry the Efika mobo and send it in to the MorphOS Dev. Team to prove that it no longer works and ask them to transfer your license for that Efika mobo to another MorphOS capable computer system of your choice when you find and buy one.

That is one possible way to get a MorphOS license for around $50. :laughing:
Not sure if that is funny or sad?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 10:17:21 PM by amigadave »
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline AmigaNut08

• Show only replies by AmigaNut08
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2010, 06:41:40 PM »
Quote from: adolescent;564466
Things happen.  I sold a Sega CD unit on eBay and decided to have one last play while I waiting for payment to arrive (pre-PayPal).  When setting it up I accidentally plugged in the wrong power adapter which instantly fried it!  :madashell:  I was out ~$90 + eBay fees + I reimbursed the guy for the money order fee.  :(

Yes sometimes things really do happen after a sale, but the guy who was selling the emac is full of it. The item was pickup only, which was fine as i am 40 mins away from the sellers location. The auction ended late Saturday afternoon. 2 emacs were listed at $50 starting bid. I was the only bidder on the emac i won. The other emac had no bids on it, so it did not sell. A few hours after the auction i received the bogus message saying it was smashed. I then replied back saying that it was ok as i wanted it for some internal parts. I then messaged him and said if you really feel bad about smashing the emac, offer me the one you had on ebay that did not sell. I then sent a 3rd message asking for his details as i want to come and pick up the smashed emac asap.

In response to my first message the seller wrote "sorry again about this news
I was a bit injured when the accident occured and as a result the broken emac was dumped with the hard rubbish."

In response to my second message the seller wrote" again i apologize but that was sold to another guy after the auction was finished and before i had the mishap"

And in response to my 3rd message. the seller wrote" quicksilver unfortunately there will be no collection as the broken item was destroyed and then taken to the tip"

This all happened late on a Saturday afternoon. Why would you suddenly want to take a computer that you supposedly dropped, which caused you injury, to the tip late on a Saturday afternoon when the tip would have most likely been closed.

BTW i am in Australia so $50AU for this emac is equivalent to someone buying one for about $43 in the US.

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2010, 09:56:04 PM »
Happens alot on ebay. The guy just probably wasn't happy that it went so cheap. The guy probably will relist the item till he gets what he wants for it. I've had something like that happen to me a few times...

Should have set a reserve he was happy with.

I'm up to 27.00$ in ebay sales towards my own emac. I suppose I will start looking again when I hit 200$ There are a few really nice ones with 1 gig of ram,dvd-rw, and 240 gig hard drives occasionally. I'd like one maxed if possible so I don't ever need to mess with it for upgrades... Just plug and play I suppose.

Steven

Offline bbond007

• Show only replies by bbond007
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2010, 12:12:12 AM »
Quote from: redrumloa;564445
The problem with that is if he didn't really drop it, he may drop it intentionally if forced to ship it :lol: But seriously, who knows. I have had bad things happen to me on occasion and had buyers simply refusing to believe the explanation.

If you are in the USA, eMacs are dirt cheap buy-it-now on eBay. Shipping will at least double the cost, these are very heavy suckers. I found out the hard way how heavy they are when I bought this one at the flea market and had to carry it 1/4 mile back to my car in the blazing sun. Even still, I see them available for about $100 including shipping on eBay.

You should have seen me when i bought my first large monitor from some computer show. NEC XP21. WOW. talk about heavy. had to lug that thing back to where i was parked.

Offline Debaser

• Show only replies by Debaser
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2010, 12:15:52 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;564734

I'm up to 27.00$ in ebay sales towards my own emac. I suppose I will start looking again when I hit 200$ There are a few really nice ones with 1 gig of ram,dvd-rw, and 240 gig hard drives occasionally. I'd like one maxed if possible so I don't ever need to mess with it for upgrades... Just plug and play I suppose.

Steven

Getting your feet wet finally with Morphos Steve!?! Good for you man. You'll get a kick out of it. Dude check philly craigslist there..just checked..there are some around and no ebay fussing around. Good luck.

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2010, 02:19:39 AM »
Yes debaser, and really its all your fault...

I gotta get an extra joystick too so you can come by and play games next time your in town. I would prefer ebay actually for finding an emac because I'm selling some of my junk to raise paypal funds to cover emac and morphos purchase...

Steven

Offline Debaser

• Show only replies by Debaser
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2010, 03:05:27 AM »
Haywirepc:

Oh no problem there I think I can rustle up my old Comp Pro. :) Sounds like a good idea. Good luck with the eMac 1.25 hunt. Let me know when you get one and I can stop over and show you around Morphos too... though I am sure you will have no problem.. it will feel like a new/old friend.

Offline recidivist

• Show only replies by recidivist
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2010, 09:37:46 PM »
the people who have advertised an efika  with MorphOS key want more like $200+ ,at least the several would-be sellers I contacted.They apparently got their price from someone else and I don't think $200 for a registered efika system is out of line.

I have just finished installing MorpOS 2.5   on my Mac Mini while keeping the MacOSX Tiger,and leaving an extra space (maybe Ubuntu triple boot?).
 Have to  resolve DSL connection problem since my PC is using the USB port on a Netopia box and there is no Mac driver for DSL-USB.

Offline kolla

« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2010, 11:08:25 PM »
Quote from: recidivist;565229
I don't think $200 for a registered efika system is out of line.

Why anyone would pay that price for an efika is beyond me, and that regged MorphOS is pretty useless since it is locked to the efika. I suppose the best use of such a system is to chop it up in bits and send the MorphOS team as proof so you can get a free re-registration for a mini.
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline recidivist

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2010, 12:04:42 AM »
Man you are  such a positive ,upbeat person it must be a joy to be around you.

If for $200 one gets a 400 mhz PPC computer with 128 meg RAM , a 60gb hard drive with  a registered copy of MorphOS ,power supply, and nice case ,that seems much better than paying $500plus for an old accelerator card and having to pay another $150 for AOS 4 ;especially since both evidently need tweaking for older games and apps anyway.

Talk of deliberately destroying a working system  to use the MorphOS team licensing policy in a way it was not meant to be used just reminds one of the piracy issues that hurt Amiga in the past.Sure,I would prefer MorphOS be free but that is not the reality.

If everybody only look for a way to cheat then why play the game?

Offline recidivist

« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2010, 06:20:55 AM »
It's YOUR fault!Posting  all those neat pictures.

Since you  obviously had so much fun with eMac ,I felt like one must be added to the collection here.

After seeing several eMacs for various  $100-200,finally spotted a  1.25GHz model for $150 or best offer. The seller accepted $50 ,threw in a USB CD drive and carried it to my car !!! He was just happy to get rid of it.(Oh yes,the genuine Apple keyboard and mouse were included.)

I wonder if the eMac can dual -boot Mac OS and MorphOS ? Seems a shame to lose a nicely working OS X 10.3.9 installation.

Offline recidivist

« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2010, 06:22:09 AM »
Meant to address redrumloa in the previous post.