Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Just picked up a eMac 1.25Ghz this morning.  (Read 11971 times)

Description:

Offline redrumloaTopic starter

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
Just picked up a eMac 1.25Ghz this morning.
« on: June 12, 2010, 05:48:13 PM »
I went to the local flea market this morning, Thunderbird Swap Shop, which claims to be the biggest in the world. After walking in the brutal Florida sun for about 90 minutes, I found a 1.25Ghz eMac and bought it. I plan on installing MorphOS 2.5 this afternoon to give it a spin. I haven't used MorphOS since v1.4, so I am curious to how it has progressed.

It remains to be seen if I keep this eMac and register MorphOS 2.5. I am more interested in a G4 Power Mac, so I may wait for that support to come to register. For now, it will be great to test drive MOS 2.5 demo version.

-edit-
That means the Televideo TS-803H gets taken off the computer desk :-/ Man, I need to rework this workshop for more desktop space...
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Re: Just picked up a eMac 1.25Ghz this morning.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 06:59:10 PM »
I am VERY eager to hear about your experiences!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 08:46:58 PM »
Yes me too, especially because thats the exact mac hardware I plan to get... Please write a nice long post about what you think of morph on that hardware...

Steven

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 08:50:49 PM »
@Redrumloa

What price did you pay for it? I have a 700MHz (?) E-Mac in the closet that hasn't been used in years. I should give it a try as well.

• Original Omega User
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 09:42:54 PM »
Quote from: koaftder;564341
@Redrumloa

What price did you pay for it? I have a 700MHz (?) E-Mac in the closet that hasn't been used in years. I should give it a try as well.

I paid $40 for it. The 700Mhz model probably won't work, it has a diferent chipset. Only 1.25Ghz is officially supported, though I'd guess a 1Ghz model may work.

BTW, installation wen smoth and fast. I am posting this from MorphOS 2.5 :-)

• Original Omega User
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 09:46:57 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;564340
Yes me too, especially because thats the exact mac hardware I plan to get... Please write a nice long post about what you think of morph on that hardware...

Steven

haywirepc & XDelusion

I just got it up and running, installation was smooth with no real hitches. I did have a problem with a stanrd PC keyboard, I couldn't get the CD drive to eject. I borrowed the wife's Apple keyboard and no problem. This isn't a MorphOS problem, but just a niggle of Mac hardware.

I will play with this some more and give some impressions later. So far it is freaking flying! Feels good, especially te price!!!

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 11:06:54 PM »
Quote from: redrumloa;564353
haywirepc & XDelusion

I just got it up and running, installation was smooth with no real hitches. I did have a problem with a stanrd PC keyboard, I couldn't get the CD drive to eject. I borrowed the wife's Apple keyboard and no problem. This isn't a MorphOS problem, but just a niggle of Mac hardware.

I will play with this some more and give some impressions later. So far it is freaking flying! Feels good, especially te price!!!

You can eject a CD in MorphOS from the right-click context menu, and I think there's a Screenbar module and shell command to do it as well.

Hope you continue to have lots of fun :)

• Original Omega User
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 11:28:52 PM »

Installation couldn't have been much easier once I hooked up an Apple keyboard. The MorphOS install is very straight forward and idiot proof. Installation only took a few minutes and I was up and running. Ambient Desktop desktop is very clean and easy to navigate. The icons are pretty. The default screen mode was a bit hard on the eyes, so a trip into MorphOS preferences were in order. It has been quite a while since I played with monitor preference in MorphOS or any other modern Amiga-like OS. The monitor preferences screen is much like I remember Picasso96. With 1024x768 24bit, the picture is rock solid. I will have to play with it a bit more to set up other screen modes.

So far I have played with OWB, the built in apps and tried out Payback. OWB looks very nice and is fast. I look forward to playing with this some more and getting comfortable with MOS again. So far I am down a whopping $40 to be able to play with MorphOS on a 1.25Ghz system with 1GB RAM, 500MB hard drive and Radeon 9200. I will have a decision to make whether to register and use this system or wait for G4 Power Mac support. Initial impression is this computer has enough balls, I may register on this.

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 11:53:06 PM »
Quote from: redrumloa;564368
I will have a decision to make whether to register and use this system or wait for G4 Power Mac support. Initial impression is this computer has enough balls, I may register on this.

Registration may get a bit more attractive considering the currently lowered price of 111 EUR and the rather fair EUR/US $ exchange rate (which probably will persist on the current level for quite a while).

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 02:17:03 AM »
Congrats on getting your 1.25GHz G4 eMac for only $40 Red, that is a nice price for a "Next Gen" Amiga system.  (now before anyone argues that it is not an "Amiga" system, please don't waste your time by polluting this thread with that off topic nonsense.  I am not interested in such silly arguments that cannot be won, one way or another and are a complete waste of time.  If that is how you feel, fine.  I concede that you have the right to think in your head that any MorphOS system is not an "Amiga" system, just because it does not have the official name Amiga attached to it, but I also have the right to disagree with your opinion.  End of argument in my book and I am not interested in any reasons, rationality, further discussion, etc. of that topic)

Red, enjoy your re-exploration of MorphOS with version 2.5 and please make an effort to get your MorphOS2.5 eMac into good hands later if you decide to sell it and move up to the G4 PowerMac, once the G4 PowerMac is supported by the MorphOS Dev Team.

I think I'll go fire up my 1.5GHz G4 Mac Mini and have some fun.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 02:22:15 AM »
Quote from: zylesea;564371
Registration may get a bit more attractive considering the currently lowered price of 111 EUR and the rather fair EUR/US $ exchange rate (which probably will persist on the current level for quite a while).

That might be a good gamble, waiting for the exchange rate to become more advantageous, but it might also back-fire if the MorphOS Dev. Team decides to discontinue the lower price of a MorphOS license key and returns to the 150 euro price.

Not that it makes any difference to me, but I would encourage everyone that is thinking of getting a MorphOS license key to get it sooner rather than later for many reasons.  (I have no inside knowledge and no contact directly with any of the MorphOS Development Team)
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline gdanko

• Show only replies by gdanko
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 06:12:11 AM »
Quote from: redrumloa;564320
I went to the local flea market this morning, Thunderbird Swap Shop, which claims to be the biggest in the world. After walking in the brutal Florida sun for about 90 minutes, I found a 1.25Ghz eMac and bought it. I plan on installing MorphOS 2.5 this afternoon to give it a spin. I haven't used MorphOS since v1.4, so I am curious to how it has progressed.

It remains to be seen if I keep this eMac and register MorphOS 2.5. I am more interested in a G4 Power Mac, so I may wait for that support to come to register. For now, it will be great to test drive MOS 2.5 demo version.

-edit-
That means the Televideo TS-803H gets taken off the computer desk :-/ Man, I need to rework this workshop for more desktop space...

Congratulations! I have 2.5 installed on a G4 Mini and I am loving it. I am eager to hear your experiences with Morph.

Offline gdanko

• Show only replies by gdanko
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 06:17:36 AM »
Quote from: amigadave;564381
(now before anyone argues that it is not an "Amiga" system, please don't waste your time by polluting this thread with that off topic nonsense.  I am not interested in such silly arguments that cannot be won, one way or another and are a complete waste of time.  If that is how you feel, fine.

David, MorphOS is the most viable NG Amiga out there. A Mini G4 can be had for a very low price and MorphOS outperforms OS 4.1 which has very little hardware availability.

Offline AmigaNut08

• Show only replies by AmigaNut08
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010, 06:55:32 AM »
Quote from: amigadave;564382
That might be a good gamble, waiting for the exchange rate to become more advantageous, but it might also back-fire if the MorphOS Dev. Team decides to discontinue the lower price of a MorphOS license key and returns to the 150 euro price.

Not that it makes any difference to me, but I would encourage everyone that is thinking of getting a MorphOS license key to get it sooner rather than later for many reasons.  (I have no inside knowledge and no contact directly with any of the MorphOS Development Team)

I hope that Morph OS stays at the cheaper price, as i believe they will sell a lot more license keys, seeing that you can now pay around $50 (thats what i recently paid for my Emac) for the hardware to run it. Funny enough though, about 4 hours after i won the auction for my emac, i received this following message.

"i am very sorry the unit that you purchased was dropped and i have smashed it.

I apologize for this but there is nothing i am able to do

i understand if you are unhappy but it was an accident

very sorry"

Yeah right it got smashed. I replied that i dont care that the emac was smashed as i wanted it for some internal boards and want to pick it up asap. I am yet to hear from the seller.

Offline zyphoid

• Show only replies by zyphoid
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2010, 07:11:56 AM »
congrats red...Thought you would had given this a try by now.  have fun!
A1200T Mid-Night 060@50mhz tv tuner,voodoo banshee,usb subway,mediator,Dual Multi partition 200Gig 2.5/3.5HD, Twin dual-layer lite-on dvd 52x dvd-rw, sx-32pro030@50mhz my favorite system what xbox came from til someone says otherwise,A500 Efika...