Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: #@$%ing Windows...  (Read 3644 times)

Description:

Offline Matt_HTopic starter

#@$%ing Windows...
« on: December 24, 2009, 08:41:19 PM »
I need to stop second-guessing myself.

Had an old FAT32 drive that I'd been meaning to back up for years. Finally got around to popping it into my external enclosure today, and decided not to hook it up to my Deneb. Instead, I hooked it up to an XP machine which promptly decided to corrupt the single most important directory on the drive. Brilliant.

So remember kids, if your Amiga can do something, it can do it better than Windows.

Re: #@$%ing Windows...
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 04:26:34 PM »
Heh, thanks for the sympathy, all. It's true, the drive is old and there is a bit of physical damage - the drive crashed and powered down as I was reading the then-working-perfectly directory in question. But I'm blaming Windows more than FAT32 because Windows writes garbage to the drive even when reading files or browsing in Explorer (thumbs.db, etc). The primary reason Windows is on the naughty list this Christmas is that nature of the corruption has left me with an unreadable file in place of the directory called "USBvxyzx." - suggesting something idiotic with the USB driver for massstorage.

No luck with file recovery programs so far. Any recommendations for programs to try?

Re: #@$%ing Windows...
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 07:30:45 PM »
@ kvasir

I actually get the most cathartic benefit from good ol' Winsongs 95 :)