Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Microsoft Word sale prohibited as of Jan. 11, fix promised  (Read 5418 times)

Description:

Offline dreamcast270mhzTopic starter

• Show only replies by dreamcast270mhz
Microsoft Word sale prohibited as of Jan. 11, fix promised
« on: December 22, 2009, 11:29:24 PM »
"Office workers of America, enjoy your Christmas break. Because come the new year, things could get a little hairy around the office. Microsoft Word is now scheduled to be prohibited from sale beginning January 11, 2010. That's less than three weeks away. The good news: Microsoft has promised a fix, one which will be rolled out before the deadline arrives.

If you don't understand, you might have simply missed this story, or dismissed it as something that Microsoft would ultimately use its considerable clout to have pushed under a legal rug.

But it's no joke. In August of this year, a court sided with a small Canadian company called i4i that holds a 1998 patent on the way the XML language is implemented, finding that Microsoft was in violation of that patent. The result: Microsoft was told to license the code in question from i4i or reprogram it, or else Microsoft Word would have to be removed from sale in the market. The original ruling gave Microsoft until October to get its legal affairs in order, but appeals pushed that out a bit.

Now a federal court has upheld that original ruling -- plus a fat, $290 million judgment against the company -- imposing the new January 11 D-Day on the matter. Microsoft Word and Microsoft Office will both be barred from sale as of that date -- though naturally you'll still be able to use copies of Word and Office that you already own, and Microsoft will be allowed to keep supporting those copies."

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/158160 basically, a court ruled they can't use XML language. They have 3 weeks to release a "fix" or its gone for good.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 12:24:39 AM by Argo »
My machines:
PowerMac G4 MDD 1.5ghz 1.25GB 10.5.8 & MOS 2.7
Mac Mini C2D 10.6.8 2GHz 3GB 250GB HDD
MacBook Retina 16GB 256GB SSD 10.8
iPad 2
Underground Gamer invites (a classic game site) PM

Need a part for a PC or Mac? PM me, I\'ll let you know if I come across it.

OS X trumps Windows on every level.

MorphOS, OS4 and Classic Amiga systems are the only ones who are real \'Amigas\', not that joke AROS or Amiga Forever.

Offline pan1k

• Show only replies by pan1k
Re: Microsoft Word sale prohibited as of Jan. 11, fix promised
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 01:00:10 AM »
YAY! FinalWriter will make a comeback! lol..
A4K: \\\'060, Cyberstorm MKIII Cybervision 64/3D w/ Scandoubler, Buddha Flash XSurf, MP3@64, A4K: \\\'040, Toaster, Y/C, A1200: Apollo \\\'040, A1200 GVP \'030, A1200: Stock, A2000: 68K, Trump SCSI, Supra 8Mb, and Toaster 4K, A2500: \\\'030, GVP SCSI, Supra 8MB x2, Video Toaster, CD32, Minimig, Efika and Hopefully an A4000T soon!

Offline Tension

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 01:57:58 AM »
Death by 1000 cuts

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 02:37:38 AM »
Apparently the offending code reads and saves DOCX files, maybe old Amiga word processors will get a second life....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline BigBenAussie

• Show only replies by BigBenAussie
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 03:08:39 AM »
What is concerning to me is what exactly was MS getting sued for?
Was it the entire use of XML in their new Word document format(finally opening up the format for others) which would effectively put every IT company at peril, or was it a particular implementation or customisation that they objected to?
There's a lurking danger that MS wont be the last company to be sued, and this could effect the little guy as much as the big guy.
Is this going to be become the debacle that was the GIF format?

Offline persia

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 01:44:17 PM »
Quote from: BigBenAussie;534868
What is concerning to me is what exactly was MS getting sued for?
Was it the entire use of XML in their new Word document format(finally opening up the format for others) which would effectively put every IT company at peril, or was it a particular implementation or customisation that they objected to?

No, it seems to only concern the "custom XML" feature of MS Word. (http://gcn.com/articles/2009/08/17/federal-future-microsoft-word-uncertain.aspx)

greets,
Staf.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 05:00:49 PM »
As someone who still uses Office 2003 and is unaffected by this ruling, it is just business as usual.

I wonder what the chances of convincing the IT department to install WinUAE on the office machines and instructing everyone to use Wordworth are?  ;)
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline persia

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 05:43:44 PM »
When I use MS Word, which is less and less since I discovered Pages, I always save in docx, does this mean my files will be made unreadable in some future update?  Is it DocX in general or some specific part of DocX?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 08:51:30 PM »
Microsoft is not going to let a cash cow revenue producing app like office or word stop selling. They will pay off this other company, or buy the whole company, as they have done things like that in the past.

Microsoft has bought whole companies just to get one little piece of tech, or prevent a serious market competitor from competing with them.

They will not allow word to get shelfed, they will pay the people off and move on... thats what they do. Personally, I don't see why anyone would buy word or office because of openoffice now, but hey... thats just me.

Steven

Offline DiskDoctor

• Show only replies by DiskDoctor
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 09:37:15 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;534946
Microsoft is not going to let a cash cow revenue producing app like office or word stop selling. They will pay off this other company, or buy the whole company, as they have done things like that in the past.

If company isn't public, it is impossible to buy it.  It's a private property.  And if I was an owner, by seeing these figures already (300M fined)... I would play poker with MS.  They can be really in trouble.

Saving docx format can be worth 1 B$, who knows...
Was: Mac Mini PPC running MorphOS 2.4
Now: Amiga Forever 2010 with AmiKit and AmigaSYS
Not used: Icaros Desktop 1.2 (reason: no wifi)
Planned soon: an OS4 system
Shortly then: a MOS notebook (wifi is a must-have)

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2009, 08:26:50 AM »
Quote from: dreamcast270mhz;534846
"Office workers of America, enjoy your Christmas break. Because come the new year, things could get a little hairy around the office. Microsoft Word is now scheduled to be prohibited from sale beginning January 11, 2010. That's less than three weeks away. The good news: Microsoft has promised a fix, one which will be rolled out before the deadline arrives.

If you don't understand, you might have simply missed this story, or dismissed it as something that Microsoft would ultimately use its considerable clout to have pushed under a legal rug.

But it's no joke. In August of this year, a court sided with a small Canadian company called i4i that holds a 1998 patent on the way the XML language is implemented, finding that Microsoft was in violation of that patent. The result: Microsoft was told to license the code in question from i4i or reprogram it, or else Microsoft Word would have to be removed from sale in the market. The original ruling gave Microsoft until October to get its legal affairs in order, but appeals pushed that out a bit.

Now a federal court has upheld that original ruling -- plus a fat, $290 million judgment against the company -- imposing the new January 11 D-Day on the matter. Microsoft Word and Microsoft Office will both be barred from sale as of that date -- though naturally you'll still be able to use copies of Word and Office that you already own, and Microsoft will be allowed to keep supporting those copies."

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/158160 basically, a court ruled they can't use XML language. They have 3 weeks to release a "fix" or its gone for good.

Since October 2009, Microsoft hasl remove "Custom XML functionality" from Office 2007 and it doesn't ship with Office 2010. Custom XML is the support for custom-defined schemas. It enables integration of documents with business processes and business data.

http://www.askwoody.com/2009/custom-xml-demise-office-2007-2/

Such outcome may also affect OpenOffice.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 08:29:41 AM by Hammer »
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline dreamcast270mhzTopic starter

• Show only replies by dreamcast270mhz
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 11:58:48 PM »
Yeah, well I think if it does, that'll be okay because MS losing a cash cow would be glorious
My machines:
PowerMac G4 MDD 1.5ghz 1.25GB 10.5.8 & MOS 2.7
Mac Mini C2D 10.6.8 2GHz 3GB 250GB HDD
MacBook Retina 16GB 256GB SSD 10.8
iPad 2
Underground Gamer invites (a classic game site) PM

Need a part for a PC or Mac? PM me, I\'ll let you know if I come across it.

OS X trumps Windows on every level.

MorphOS, OS4 and Classic Amiga systems are the only ones who are real \'Amigas\', not that joke AROS or Amiga Forever.

Offline persia

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 04:12:34 AM »
In the end they'll remove the offending code and carry on, they've got a virtual monopoly on the WP business, it doesn't matter.  I've stopped using MS Word in favour of Pages, but that's one person out of millions....

Quote from: dreamcast270mhz;535231
Yeah, well I think if it does, that'll be okay because MS losing a cash cow would be glorious
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2009, 09:18:34 AM »
**cough** Open office.....
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub