Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS and Power Mac G4  (Read 16850 times)

Description:

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
Re: MorphOS and Power Mac G4
« Reply #29 from previous page: November 30, 2009, 05:49:18 PM »
Quote from: Golem!dk;531838
Some news, have a look here.

It's now confirmed that MorphOS is about to be released for cheap, new world PowerMAC G4 systems, available at speeds up to 1.8 GHz:

http://www.morphzone.org/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6684&forum=11

:-)

Another promising (but still unconfirmed) development is MorphOS for G4 Powerbooks:

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=50075

Go MorphOS, go! :-)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2009, 06:12:15 PM »
Does anyone here know if the AGP Radeon 9250 128mb VRAM from my Efika will work in a G4 PowerMac (in case I decide to get one and it has a non-supported video card in it when it arrives)?  I read somewhere that the video cards in Macs have different firmware in some of the Mac models.

I might retire, or sell my Efika, after I confirm that it does not have a hardware failure with it's RAM chips.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 06:17:51 PM by amigadave »
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline recidivist

• Show only replies by recidivist
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2009, 06:50:50 PM »
I don't see a release date ?

My G4 Powermacs are 350,400,400,466 MHz, all single CPU .Stock video cards but different ones can be bought if needed.
 MorphOS needs a multi-license discount for family or fanatics who want several MorphOS  computers..
 Some Windows software I've seen has user name and info embedded in the install CD.

iMac g4 next ?

My Mac mini installation waiting replacement of hard drive;may have to make do with a 20 gb for now,with a 500 gb 3.5 external for storage.

Offline Everblue

• Show only replies by Everblue
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2009, 07:47:48 PM »
At this point, will Hyperion start releasing OS4 for Apple PPC machines?

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2009, 08:07:02 PM »
Steven Solie hinted at the AmiWest speech that the secret project Hyperion is working on is a hardware-related project.

I doubt that it will be a Mac-related thing though.

Offline HammerD

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2009, 09:01:38 PM »
Sure it will blow away the Efika.
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!

Offline recidivist

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2009, 03:11:49 PM »
It's Amiga OS 4.1.2 for the Efika!

Hey,the efika DOES have  16 times the speed and 8 times the memory of any Amiga released by Commodore/Amiga/Escom!
Seriously,it should have been a viable candidate for Amiga OS.And $99(Directron price) is very much a figure  loved by Jack Tramiel for home computers;he sold milllions of C64s  at that point.

People in love with antiquated 8 to 25Mhz 16megram computers can be sooooo funny.

It  is like Model T Ford collector trying to say his car is as good as new Focus or Prius!

Offline DyLucke

• Show only replies by DyLucke
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2009, 08:53:44 PM »
Luckilly i have an 33mhz miggy... So i'm out from that "fun".

Maybe you're forgetting the fact PPC's are not fully compatible, and they're not "real amigas" under a very strict point of view.

Yeah, there are a lot of purists around, but i don't think they're "funny".

I have both architectures. Despite i have a MacMini with Morphos i wouldn't sell my 68k amigas because i have some faster machine. It's not the same... Close but not the same.
The only way for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke.

A1200 Blizzard 060/66 64MB FastRam + 40GB HDD + Subway USB.
A1200 Apollo   040/33 32MB FastRam + 40GB HDD.
CD32!!!!
A500 4MB + 2GB IDE-CF adapter.
Mac Mini G4 1,5ghz  waiting for MorphOS.
C64, C64C, C64G, C128... 1541U-II.
Atari STe... SatanDisk, Atari 130XE... SDNuxx

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2009, 01:27:17 AM »
Quote from: SamuraiCrow;531984
Steven Solie hinted at the AmiWest speech that the secret project Hyperion is working on is a hardware-related project.

I doubt that it will be a Mac-related thing though.

I hope you are wrong.  I would love to see AmigaOS4.x advanced to SMP (said to be on their road map) and running on a dual G5 PowerMac at 2.5GHz.

With that level of PowerMac I could get by without my 3.0GHz Quad Core PC and have one less computer to mess around with.  I mean I think for what I do with a computer, I could probably be satisfied with AmigaOS4.x, and/or MorphOS2.x, plus MacOSX, or Linux on the dual G5 PowerMac at 2.5GHz.

Offline recidivist

« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2009, 06:35:10 PM »
Here I am logging in and posting from my Mac Mini (1.5GHZ, 1 GB ram, 80 Mb HD ,64 MB vram)!!!
MorphOS install later this week-want to make it dual boot.

This is my second craigslist mini-first one was a disappointment as that seller misrepresented the memory and condition and insisted on meeting in a public place  where incidentally we couldn't plug it in.I failed to pay enough heed to CAVEAT EMPTOR!

Now I wonder if the Powermac port of MorphOS will use bigger vram or what other advantages it might have over this mini.At 1.5GHz it is actually faster than my current stable of Powermacs.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2009, 08:30:51 PM »
Quote from: recidivist;535280
Here I am logging in and posting from my Mac Mini (1.5GHZ, 1 GB ram, 80 Mb HD ,64 MB vram)!!!
MorphOS install later this week-want to make it dual boot.

This is my second craigslist mini-first one was a disappointment as that seller misrepresented the memory and condition and insisted on meeting in a public place  where incidentally we couldn't plug it in.I failed to pay enough heed to CAVEAT EMPTOR!

Now I wonder if the Powermac port of MorphOS will use bigger vram or what other advantages it might have over this mini.At 1.5GHz it is actually faster than my current stable of Powermacs.

Congrats on getting your 1.5GHz G4 MacMini!  I love using MorphOS2.4 on mine.  The 1.5GHz MacMini is likely to be the fastest way to run MorphOS for a while, as the G4 PowerMacs that MorphOS is going to support were only released with 1.42GHz G4's as their fastest option.  Of course they have two G4's, but MorphOS can only use one of them, so unless there is some other part of the PowerMac's hardware design that will speed up MorphOS, the 1.5GHz G4 MacMini will remain the fastest MorphOS machine.  There are upgrade processors for the G4 PowerMacs that can increase the clock speed up to 1.8GHz, or 2.0GHz, but they are expensive new and hard to find used and it is not clear which ones, if any of the third party accelerator G4's for the PowerMacs will be supported in MorphOS, so I would wait until it is released before going out and buying one of those faster G4 cards for your PowerMac.

As for better VRAM capabilities, if you can find one of the already MorphOS supported 8500, 9000, or 9250 Radeon cards that is also supported by the PowerMac and has 128mb, or 256mb of VRAM, then you would have a better graphics card for MorphOS to run on, but the original graphics cards that were available for the G4 PowerMacs and are also supported by MorphOS only had 64mb of VRAM just like the G4 MacMini.  I am talking about the ATI Radeon 9000 Pro 64mb AGP graphics card that was an option at order time for many of the G4 PowerMacs.  I know that better graphics cards are available that will work in the G4 PowerMacs, but have not researched which of those are also supported by MorphOS yet.  Instead, I picked up a 64mb ATI Radeon 9000 Pro AGP card that had been pulled from a G4 PowerMac when it was upgraded for next to nothing and I am holding on to it, waiting for an insane deal to come my way on a Dual G4 1.42GHz MDD PowerMac.  If the MorphOS team finishes work on getting MorphOS to work on a G4 PowerBook before I find that insane deal on a G4 PowerMac, I will just sell this 9000 Pro 64mb graphics card to another MorphOS user that needs it for his G4 PowerMac that they bought with an unsupported graphics card.

Enjoy the blazing speed of your 1.5GHz G4 MacMini and MorphOS2.4.  They are a great combination.  I hope you think so too and will register MorphOS, if you haven't already done so.

Offline Tenacious

• Show only replies by Tenacious
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2010, 07:04:53 PM »
We're into March, anyone heard anything?  I have a 933 MHz Quicksilver just waiting, grin.  Have graphic card spec been published yet?  There is a glut of 32 MB ATI Radeons available.

Offline mike-

• Show only replies by mike-
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2010, 08:03:02 PM »
Quote from: Tenacious;547708
We're into March, anyone heard anything?  I have a 933 MHz Quicksilver just waiting, grin.  Have graphic card spec been published yet?  There is a glut of 32 MB ATI Radeons available.

I´ve been trying to keep my ears to the ground, checking morphzone regularly, doesnt seem to be anything new, theres alot of info in http://www.morphzone.org/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6684&forum=11 that thread however. I have a powerbook g4 and itchy fingers too! Maybe someone could pry some info off Piru?
C= Amiga Addict & Dendrophiliac
(Oo)
⎛☮ໄ
ﮑὠՀ

Offline dreamcast270mhz

• Show only replies by dreamcast270mhz
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2010, 09:03:11 PM »
I am posting from my PowerMac G4 MDD 1.5 Ghz (OC) with 1.25GB RAM and a 64mb radeon 9k running Leopard. I sold my windoze workstation and all this needs is a working DVD drive to be complete, and a few minor things: Internal Speaker kit needs replacement, want a dual cpu card I can OC to 1.67 and a copper heatsink w/ cooling tube. I also want to eventually ditch my clicky keyboard and get a mac keyboard and maybe bluetooth.

When 2.5 comes out, I'll DL it and install it on a second HDD, shrink my current HD partition and add a sharing partition.
My machines:
PowerMac G4 MDD 1.5ghz 1.25GB 10.5.8 & MOS 2.7
Mac Mini C2D 10.6.8 2GHz 3GB 250GB HDD
MacBook Retina 16GB 256GB SSD 10.8
iPad 2
Underground Gamer invites (a classic game site) PM

Need a part for a PC or Mac? PM me, I\'ll let you know if I come across it.

OS X trumps Windows on every level.

MorphOS, OS4 and Classic Amiga systems are the only ones who are real \'Amigas\', not that joke AROS or Amiga Forever.

Offline mike-

• Show only replies by mike-
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2010, 10:00:40 PM »
Quote from: dreamcast270mhz;547723
I am posting from my PowerMac G4 MDD 1.5 Ghz (OC) with 1.25GB RAM and a 64mb radeon 9k running Leopard. . .

How is 10.5 running on the thing?
I´ve grown attached to this powerbook also, I havent powered on the pc since i got this thing. However i stuck with 10.4, which takes more then enough space anyway. Theres a utility to overclock the ATI chip in here, might be worth researching how to do this in morhpos when it gets here, the chip in here it actually underclocked a few mhz i found. ATIccelerator anyway. Used xbench to benhmark, and official spcs on the ati chip for clock reference.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 10:02:53 PM by mike- »
C= Amiga Addict & Dendrophiliac
(Oo)
⎛☮ໄ
ﮑὠՀ