Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: glib and gtk problem (linux)  (Read 5330 times)

Description:

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
Re: glib and gtk problem (linux)
« Reply #14 from previous page: November 05, 2003, 12:14:39 AM »

levelLORD wrote:
Hello there!

Is there anyone here who did have problems with gtk+ 2.2.4 and glib 2.2.3? Compiling and installation of these files went fine (./configure, make, make install), but after that whenever I want to compile something new, ./configure starts crying about missing glib 2.x and pointing that I do have glib 1.x, but it requires 2.x. I linked everything through ld.so.conf, pkg-config --list-all is reading gtk+-2.0 and glib-2.0, everything looks normal, ldconfig -v is also showing glib 2.x and gtk 2.0, but like I said, I can't install nothing. Does anyone had a similar problem? I'm running Linux Red Hat 9 on x86 platform. I'll appreciate any help or advise about this, since I have no idea anymore how to deal with this problem. Thank you.

Best regards,

levelLORD

I had a similar problem with mandrake once, sadly do not recall how i was able to solve it... I am pretty new to linux myself.

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2003, 12:16:58 AM »

If you wont help/cant then just ignore/say you cannot help him, rather than bashing the person who do use it.

I didn't meant to bash him, I meant to bash Linux.
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2003, 12:21:30 AM »
@levelLORD

I have no real idea what the problem might be, not having encountered it myself, but out of curiosity, did you install glib before or after gtk+?

The configure script will configure your makefile according to your system, so if you installed gtk+ first, it may be linked to glib v1 as you had not installed glib 2 at that point.

The order in which things are installed makes quite a bit of difference under Linux, particularly if you're installing from source.
Bill Hoggett

Offline levelLORDTopic starter

• Show only replies by levelLORD
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2003, 03:04:34 AM »
@Speelgoedmannetje

Sorry dude, I'll have to ignore your socially incorrect behavior ;)

@NoFastMem

That is sooo mean. It just makes me want to cry!

:))) It's all right, he don't know what he's talking about }:)))

@that_punk_guy

I can only suggest trying the Linux forums. Try and pick one where they're not so mean about newbies first though.

Yeah, but I was thinking to give it a try here first, and after that linux forums. I'm hanging here all the time, and I know that there is a lot of linux ppl who can give me some answers. If windows users get 'em (answers), why not linux? And about that newbie thing... I'm not offended or something, but I just don't talk that much ;)

@Speelgoedmannetje

All right all right my sincere apologies I was a bit too reactive reading glibthisthat

Apologies accepted ;)

@Tomas

You did have the same problem? Are you sure that you can not remember how you manage to solve that? Even a small thing can probably lead me to fix this very annoying problem.

@bhoggett

I have no real idea what the problem might be, not having encountered it myself, but out of curiosity, did you install glib before or after gtk+?

Very well. First, I did install dependencies, libpng (jpeg, pkg-config & tiff I did have already), after that i proceed with pango and atk (can't remember which order), and finally, glib-2.2.3 and after that gtk+-2.2.4. I'm not sure, but I think that u can not install glib-223 without gtk+-224, ie there will be errors during configuration.

The configure script will configure your makefile according to your system, so if you installed gtk+ first, it may be linked to glib v1 as you had not installed glib 2 at that point.  The order in which things are installed makes quite a bit of difference under Linux, particularly if you're installing from source.

The biggest problem that I'm encountering is not with gtk and glib installation, it is with everything else that I'd like to compile and requires new glib and new gtk. It looks like glib223 and gtk224 are not linked, but they are. OK, this is what pkg-config prints in the terminal window:

pkg-config --list-all
. . . . . . . . . . . . .
glib-2.0            GLib - C Utility Library
gtk+-2.0            GTK+ - GIMP Tool Kit (x11 target)
. . . . . . . . . . . . .

And also ldconfig -v is showing glib-2.0 and gtk+2.0 as a linked library, but as I try to configure/compile let's say LiVES, this is what I got:

checking for pkg-config... (cached) /usr/bin/pkg-config
checking for gtk+-2.0 >= 1.3.13... Package gtk+-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gtk+-2.0.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'gtk+-2.0' found

configure: error: Library requirements (gtk+-2.0 >= 1.3.13) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.

This is for gtk, and the same thing is with glib when I try to configure cdtools for xcdroast. If there is something else, just ask, I'll be glad to answer ;)

Thanks in advance!!!

cheers to @

levelLORD

Offline Cymric

• Show only replies by Cymric
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2003, 11:15:03 AM »
Well, obviously the problem is not residing with the linker or the installation of gtk; ldconfig doesn't make mistakes. The problem is that pkg-config is acting up. What bothers me a little is that the configure-script is using /usr/bin/pkg-config; on my system, where I installed gtk from sources, it's residing in /usr/local/bin. Is there perhaps a second pkg-config on your system which is configured with the older version information? A second possibility I can think of is that the script is using cached information, so it doesn't go out searching for where the program truly resides. Try a 'which pkg-config' and note the directory it returns. Also, run 'make clean' before attempting to reconfigure gtk.
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.

Offline Emufreak

• Show only replies by Emufreak
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2003, 12:46:06 PM »
I had a similar Problem with gtk+ and UAE. After i deleted config.cache in the UAE-Source directory it worked fine.  Here the link to my thread

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3288

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2003, 08:33:30 PM »
@Cymric

Dude, pointing at pkg-config was brilliant idea! Trying out 'which pkg-config' showed that old pkg-config was linked (the one which is coming with RH9 installation) and not the new one that I installed, so I fixed that and it is actually working :))) After that, configuring and installation was just a breeze. Thanks man, I really appreciate your help, and sorry for a slow reply, I was very, very busy these days.

regards,

levelLORD

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2003, 08:40:54 PM »
@Emufreak

Thanks Emufreak, but it wasn't nothing like that. Whenever I was trying to install software, I did it from the fresh source directory, but thanks anyways for your help ;)

regards,

levelLORD