Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 25 Minimigs to be adopted  (Read 2898 times)

Description:

Offline voxelTopic starter

• Show only replies by voxel
25 Minimigs to be adopted
« on: December 24, 2007, 02:55:03 PM »
Hi everybody :-)

As I've announced, I've received the first batch of 10 Minimig pcbs today :

My first announcement has been so well received that I've ordered 15 more pcbs to make more happy Minimig customers.

As soon as I get the components I begin to populate that little beasties. Firsts deliveries are planed for February 2008. Final price will be under US$500 or 350 Euros (depending on the currency change).

In the meanwhile, if you want to secure your personal minimig you can pre-order it by sending a Paypal payment of US$150 or 100 Euros to voxel-AT-nat-POINT-fr (you know what to remove to get the real address ;-)), don't forget to add your delivery address, it'll help me to quote the P&P :-)

As soon as your minimig is ready to ship (on a first in - first out basis) you'll receive a Paypal invoice asking for the remaining and P&P, with or without assurance, you'll have the choice.

Merry Christmas to all
Amigalement,
Jean-François Bachelet, Amiga nuts since 1985.
-------------------------------------------------
Welcome to Happy Computing : Amiga! (© 2K4-2K8 voxel)

Offline Lemmink

• Show only replies by Lemmink
    • http://www.lemmink.joice.net
Re: 25 Minimigs to be adopted
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 03:36:51 PM »
Well at least for one person the announced "massproduction" of MiniMigs by Acube is bad news  :cry:  I hope you don't lose too much in you effort to support the community
Not really interesting, but it`s there.
http://www.lemmink.joice.net

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 06:27:19 PM »
how is this 'bad news'???
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline AMC258

• Show only replies by AMC258
    • http://www.AMC258.com/
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 07:16:14 PM »
Bad news for him, but as all competition is, it's good news for us.
Get up!  Get up!  Get outta here!  GONE!
  - Bob Uecker

Offline Lemmink

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 07:54:46 PM »
Yah, but ACube given sell date of mid January is about one month earlyer then his proposed date of mid February. So with everyone itching to get one the only way that there are any customers left for his MiniMigs is that ACube underproduces.
ACube hasn`t give a sales price yet but competing with full manual assembly agains automatic assembly the "winner" is already clear.

With ACube announcement coming out of the blue he is left out in the cold I`m affraid....

I`m afraid that this poor guy has to choose between working for 10 bucks per piece or write off the investment he made in parts as a complete personal loss.

Offline Colin_Camper

• Show only replies by Colin_Camper
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 09:38:47 PM »
"ACube hasn`t give a sales price yet but competing with full manual assembly agains automatic assembly the "winner" is already clear."

I don't think A-cube are 'mass producing' or assembling automatically. I think initially, we are probably talking dozens rather than 100s.

As with any minimig assembled PCB source; Get it quick because they will probably sell out quick!

They would have to produce > 100s to be a problem for this guy!

Like most of the Minimig production I think it is guys doing what they can for others.

Nusim have sold several hundred blank PCBs so I think there is room for ACube, Wizard and Voxel with their populated boards.
Colin Camper CCNP MCSE P45 UB40
A4000D

Offline Lemmink

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2007, 01:41:26 AM »
Ähem you know who I am talking about...ACube, you know the company distributing OS4 classic and producing the SAM440 board. Do you really think they will have a guy sit down and solder the board by hand ?
My guess the first production batch will be 100-200 units.

Offline nBit7

• Show only replies by nBit7
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2007, 10:04:52 AM »
Ähem you know who I am talking about...ACube, you know the company distributing OS4 classic and producing the SAM440 board. Do you really think they will have a guy sit down and solder the board by hand ?

I am not sure that ACube actually manufacture any hardware.  I think they probably out source the production of hardware.  But I could be wrong.

Either way it is not impossible that they too are getting boards hand soldered (if less than 200).  At the end of the day the minimig boards are fairly simple to hand solder by today's standards.  But ACube would have better component sourcing abilities (internal or external) than any hobbiest.

Offline Andeda

• Show only replies by Andeda
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2007, 02:01:14 PM »
I think this is good news, there are many members in this community that could almost kill for a Minimig  :-D
So go ahead, heat up your soldering iron, im pretty sure you are going to sell those minimigs for a reasonable price.
And good luck.
Amiga: A computer for the creative mind.

Sam440ep 667Mhz + OS4.1
Minimig (Home made)
A1200/030
A2000/030
A500 * 3
CD32

Offline voxelTopic starter

• Show only replies by voxel
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2007, 02:38:15 PM »
Sure I will sells it :-)

Especially with their exclusive cristal-clear enclosure (NOT the current two plexiglass sandwich you know) I'll deliver it inside :-D
Amigalement,
Jean-François Bachelet, Amiga nuts since 1985.
-------------------------------------------------
Welcome to Happy Computing : Amiga! (© 2K4-2K8 voxel)

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2007, 04:14:00 PM »
My guess the first production batch will be 100-200 units.

Agreed, Acube seems to be a competent company with at least a reasonable amount resources. I think if they mass produce, keep the price reasonable and advertise, they could have a hit on their hands unlike the Amiga market has seen in a long time. Done right, they should easily get sales in the thousands.

To me, it comes down to price and quality. My expectations are for good quality, we'll see how they approach pricing. I hope they see big picture and price aggressively low. Minimig really can be the best thing to happen to the Amiga community in a long time, it can bring in fresh returning retro users. If the price is low enough, I will buy several.

-edit-
Ooops, we're getting OT. I hope voxel doesn't get hammered too bad. His best chance would be to crank them out as fast as he can, try to sell before Acube becomes available. I do suspect squeezing out a profit post Acube availability will be difficult.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline Andeda

• Show only replies by Andeda
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2007, 10:17:46 PM »
"Especially with their exclusive cristal-clear enclosure (NOT the current two plexiglass sandwich you know) I'll deliver it inside"

Sounds nice, please send us some pictures when you have the first one ready
Amiga: A computer for the creative mind.

Sam440ep 667Mhz + OS4.1
Minimig (Home made)
A1200/030
A2000/030
A500 * 3
CD32

Offline Firedawg

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Firedawg
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2007, 06:22:08 PM »
I have three minimig boards that are awaiting component deliveries.  My cost to produce a minimig is $162USD per board without labor added.  The cost can differ by country and regions on shipping cost.  To produce this commercially and provide support will not be cheap.  I applaud Acube Systems for stepping up, but they are in business to make money, so it will be interesting to see what their able to do with pricing their units.  My hats off to voxel, build with quality and your migs will sell.
Amiga 4000T/60 - A2000/60 - 1200T/60, Soldered Up 3 x Minimig 1.1, Mac Mini 1.5 Running MacOSX/MOS 2.7-Registered

Offline HenryCase

• Show only replies by HenryCase
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2007, 10:42:20 PM »
@Voxel and @Firedawg

Great to hear about your Minimig building projects, we need all the units we can get at the moment. Please let us see pictures when you've got a completed board.
"OS5 is so fast that only Chuck Norris can use it." AeroMan