Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Back to the Roots" - Amiwest 2004 theme  (Read 2886 times)

Description:

Offline SilvrDrgnTopic starter

• Show only replies by SilvrDrgn
    • http://mikerye.homeip.net
"Back to the Roots" - Amiwest 2004 theme
« on: May 27, 2004, 03:14:26 AM »
Here is the third information release for AmiWest 2004, July 24 and 25, 2004 in Sacramento, California.

Our webpage at www.sacc.org/amiwest is being updated with all the current show information.  We encourage you to visit our site to see the rest of the current information.

Amiga Forever,

Sacramento Amiga Computer Club
AmiWest 2004 Committee

"BACK TO THE ROOTS" - AMIWEST 2004 THEME

The AmiWest 2004 Committee has decided on a "Back to the Roots" theme for this year's show.  Just exactly what are we talking about?

"Back to the Roots" means back to the spirit of innovation that is Amiga.  In the mid-1980's, computers were mostly characterized by a black screen with a blinking green cursor, or some other two-color cursor variation.  If you didn't know the command line, you were as clueless as everyone else when the machine booted up.

Amiga changed all of that with color and an icon-driven interface, just the beginning of an innovative computer that could do graphics, sound, video and all kinds of other things computers hadn't been doing much up til then.  And multitasking meant you could do more than one thing at a time.  So we'll be seeing some of that early innovation through expert demos and exhibits to see how that innovation operates both then and now.

"Back to the Roots" means back to community.  Our community has been attacked, fragmented, and left for dead by many.  We know that it is alive, vibrant and recovering from its wounds.  We will be having community gatherings during AmiWest to meet and talk with one another.

"Back to the Roots" means seeing the roots of current development for the Amiga.  Amiga One hardware, Amiga OS 4, and as much software and expansion hardware as we can gather will be at AmiWest 2004.  Come and support these intrepid developers with your attendance and purchases.

"Back to the Roots" means exhibitors that have been in the Amiga community long-term.  We'll have a dealer exhibiting who has been an Amiga dealer since 1988.  We'll have a software developer there who is porting his classic Amiga products to OS 4 right now.  We'll have a hardware manufacturer there who is currently developing for both the Amiga "classic" and Amiga One platforms.  Come to see it and to support them with your purchases and feedback.

"Back to the Roots" means seeing the future grow out of the healthy roots of the past.  Backwards compatibility is a major factor in all future Amiga development so that upgrades can occur from an already-developed software base.  Future development is also dependent upon us, Amiga users, as we purchase and use new hardware and software.  Everything we can lay our hands on will be available at AmiWest 2004.

"Back to the Roots" means YOU, the members of the Amiga community, being strong and supportive through your AmiWest attendance.  Be sure to buy your tickets TODAY!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So remember,

AmiWest 2004 is rolling!  The facility is reserved and the vendors are notified!  Keep watching for these releases and tell everyone that you know - the Amiga and the Amiga community is alive and well!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOTEL CONTACT

July 24th and 25th, 2004
At a new location in Sacramento, CA

Inn at the Oaks
2600 Auburn Blvd.
Sacramento California 95821
Hotel direct reservations: 1-916-487-7600
Michael

Offline Acill

Re: "BACK TO THE ROOTS" - AMIWEST 2004 THEME
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 05:22:58 AM »
I will be there as a rep for the Pegasos! I will have mine to demo as well as other nice software to show. If all goes well and Bill and Raquel help me out I may be able to bring some Pegasos boards to sell and be an official vendor for them! I cant wait for the show!
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline JKD

• Show only replies by JKD
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 08:46:36 AM »
Damn I'm getting excited about Amiwest already and it's still MAY!!!

Be there!

Steve

Offline System

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 12:11:28 PM »
AIEEEEE that badger is driving me mad!!

Offline JKD

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 04:44:12 PM »
"Come to Kenya, we've got lions...." that one too... ;-)

Offline Dalamar

• Show only replies by Dalamar
Re: "Back to the Roots" - Amiwest 2004 theme
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2004, 05:32:50 AM »
I'm actually curious to see Pegasos and MorphOS.  I've never seen them before "in the flesh" and this will be my first encounter.

I'm also going to be very excited to see OS4.  I hope it has good representation as well.  Never been to an Amiga show before so this will be quite fun.

I wish you luck Acill, see you all at the show.
-Dal
[color=993300]\\"Stop blowing holes in my ship!!\\"[/color]
--------------------------------------------------------------
- A500/4000/3000

Offline tekmage

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2004, 06:56:18 AM »
Hi all,

I'm planning on broadcasting/webcasting the show this year.  I'm still thinking about which services to provide, live audio, webcam, live video, canned video, IRC...

Let me know what you guys like to see, keep in mind there is no money in this so I can't really do a live video broadcast without getting some serious server bandwidth.

Bill "tekmage" Borsari

Offline JKD

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2004, 07:26:59 AM »
Did you here from Brian or anyone about internet access to the show
floor yet?

Steve

Offline Velcro_SP

• Show only replies by Velcro_SP
    • http://linux.tc3net.com/daclmi/
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2004, 09:07:21 AM »
Acill says: "If all goes well and Bill and Raquel help me out I may be able to bring some Pegasos boards to sell and be an official vendor for them! I cant wait for the show!"

That would be great, for a visitor to be able to come to a convention, see a demo, and walk out with an actual product under his or her arm. It would be greater yet if complete systems were available, but a Peg2 motherboard in its little box with all the associated stuff is a start.

Last year Genesi supported Amiwest by sending out about seven or eight people I think. There were other "luminaries of the community" like Jens Schoenfeld, Ben Hermans, Joe Torre, and then John Harris who does stuff with Amiga DE and wrote Jawbreaker and other fun stuff years ago, and Jeri Elsworth who is supposed to release the Commodore 1 one of these days. Bill McEwen canceled at the last minute, and nobody else from Amiga Inc. came. Bill Borsari and other "media" were there with cameras and interviews and what have you though.

It was a lot of fun and this year should be fun. Hopefully you'll get a lot of high-profile people flying in at the last minute, which happened last year. Hopefully some new products will be released!

Offline tekmage

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2004, 09:09:31 PM »
I spoke to Brian last night.  He is still waiting to hear from the Hotel.  I'd say we can count on high-speed being available for the show, but Brian won't have an answer for a few weeks.

Bill "tekmage" Borsari

Offline JKD

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2004, 01:55:20 AM »
Well...if there were a demand for complete systems in a decent quantity...I'd think there'd be A1 and Peg dealers in attendance.

Assuming Peg 2 boards are on sale at the show, there's nothing stopping anyone buying all the required bits and pieces and we'll put them together at the show...just for fun eh? :-D

Steve

Offline Acill

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2004, 03:42:45 AM »
Yeah I am all for setting up Pegasos systems for anyone that gets all the stuff while at the show! I love building computers and bringing them to life!
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline DethKnight

• Show only replies by DethKnight
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2004, 04:03:33 AM »
thinking about which services to provide, live audio, webcam, live video, canned video, IRC

I vote for IRC
and maybe a shoutcast-type-stream

one webcam idea would be to do like the DJ's on knac.com (snap a camshot every 20-30 seconds)
wanted; NONfunctional A3K keyboard wanted

Offline Quixote

• Show only replies by Quixote
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2004, 07:23:12 PM »
;-) I have good news and bad news.  The good news is that with my new full time work I should be able to save enough to buy an Amiga One and AmigaOS 4.0 at the AmiWest show in July.

However, due to my work schedule, I'll be working that weekend, with no way out of it.  I'll be unable to attend with the rest of you.

:roll: (Cue cries of "so what's the bad news?")

Offline BIG-IRON

• Show only replies by BIG-IRON
    • http://www.nojohnkerry.org/
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2004, 07:42:20 AM »
IM going! looking forward to seeing all your ugly mugs in person.
BIG IRON (Or \\"heavy metal [Cambridge]) Large, expensive,ultra-fast computers. Used generally of number crunching supercomputers such as Crays, but can include more conventional big commercial IBMish mainframes.