Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Red Hat: Stick with Windows at home  (Read 2906 times)

Description:

Offline Glaucus

• Show all replies
    • http://members.shaw.ca/mveroukis/
Re: Red Hat: Stick with Windows at home
« on: November 06, 2003, 06:37:06 AM »
I think its pretty stupid that a CEO of a company says 'don't use our product' ...
Well, what he's saying is that their product is not suited for the average home user, and he's right. Linux is much more suited for heavy business apps like web servers. Personally, I like Linux and other Unix like systems, but it can be a pain in the ass to setup. I tried to set it up on my system, had it working fine but could not figure out how to install a simple NIC driver. In the end I just gave up and formatted it with NTFS and never looked back. With WindowsXP, if it doesn't already have a driver for it, it can download it automatically for you, and that's how it should be. With linux, all I was able to find a was a simple C source file, which wouldn't even compile without it being edited. I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do with the binary, and the linux people I asked gave me answers that made no sense to me... So yeah, I think he's totally right to say that Linux isn't ready. To be honest, I don't think it will ever be ready.

- Mike
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE

Offline Glaucus

• Show all replies
    • http://members.shaw.ca/mveroukis/
Re: Red Hat: Stick with Windows at home
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2003, 06:41:32 AM »
Honestly, does anyone seriously claim that the Windows registry (particularly the W2k and XP ones) is user-friendly???
Yeah, but only experienced users should ber messing with the registry, and some of them really shouldn't be either. There are times when you can tweak things by editing the registry, but i've never seen a case where it's absolutely necessary to edit a registry. It's not like you need to edit the registry every time you install something. Sure some things might get left behind when you uninstall, but so what, hard drives are big and cheap these days!  :-)

- Mike
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE