Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AO Interview - Dave Haynie  (Read 20577 times)

Description:

Offline ikir

• Show only replies by ikir
    • http://www.ikirsector.it
Re: AO Interview - Dave Haynie
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2003, 08:46:00 PM »
Nice interview. Congratulations Kees. It is very interesting.

even though MOS will almost certainly have a more original feel to AmigaOS.

???????????

My Amiga don't crash 3 times on 6 (Pianeta Amiga experience), and my Amiga can play Audio CD without crush the system.  

Always spam here?

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2003, 08:50:28 PM »
@takemehomegrandma

Not me!  It's very obvious that he has a lot of emotions attached to the "name", heck, "the name" is probably a big part of his self identity.

Actually, most of you are misreading Dave. He does show a certain preference for the Amiga branded solution as opposed to the Genesi one, but that's most likely because he has a certain distrust of some of the personalities involved. There's some sort of history there.

His point regarding the name itself is a valid one. Dave is basically saying that he sees little to recommend either PPC system at the moment, except the attachment to the Amiga history.  Remove that sentimental factor, and neither concept has anything that makes it stand out in the cold light of day.

Since many in the MorphOS camp feel they are part of something revolutionary, Dave's comments won't necessarily be welcomed. For my part, I tend to agree with him.
Bill Hoggett

Offline meerschaum

• Show only replies by meerschaum
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2003, 08:53:05 PM »
but that's most likely because he has a certain distrust of some of the personalities involved. There's some sort of history there.

and there isnt some sort of history with the AOA personalities? gimme a flippin break..

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2003, 08:54:13 PM »
@ ikir

You know, just becase there is a bait, it doesn't mean that you **have to bite it**!
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline Warface

• Show only replies by Warface
    • http://www.spacehawks.hu
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2003, 08:56:39 PM »
Since many in the MorphOS camp feel they are part of something revolutionary, Dave's comments won't necessarily be welcomed. For my part, I tend to agree with him.

Can we have a revolution in a small pool somewhere deep within a tiny forest? I doubt that. :-) If it's revolutionary, it's only revolutionary in it's current Amiga environment. Many years of exhaustive investment and work may make it a small revolution in the PPC market. But to have a real revolution today in the aging and dying IT sector, which will sooner or later suffocate in the the marketing hype instead of real innovation... Dunno. It probably requires some divine intervention.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2003, 09:08:12 PM »
@ bhoggett

Actually, most of you are misreading Dave. He does show a certain preference for the Amiga branded solution as opposed to the Genesi one, but that's most likely because he has a certain distrust of some of the personalities involved. There's some sort of history there.

I didn't know that, but I am not surprized since **everyone** still standing in this community seems to have issues with one or more other community members (I include corporations in my definition of "community members"). That is kind of interesting! ;-)

Remove that sentimental factor, and neither concept has anything that makes it stand out in the cold light of day.

That depends on which day it is! :-P

What I meant was, it depends on what you are comparing to. Sure, neither MorphOS nor OS4 can compete with Windows on the desktop market as it is today (and will they evere be able to do that? Is it even worth spending resources in that direction?), but certainly there are a lot of areas where a lean operating system is more suitable than Windows! And it has no M$ tax to it, so it's cheap (I'm not talking about end users here, I'm talking about Genesi and companies alike). I believe you can make a device (of any kind, a STB, an "Eclipsis") and make it profitable and durable, but only because (and here it comes): it's **proprietary**! So I don't agree with you there ...

We **are** part of something revolutionary! We are taking part of a new platform emerging! And that is exciting, I can tell you! :-)

In any way, this is more revolutionary than the "Umilator" you know ...  :-P  :-P  ;-)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline zacman

• Show only replies by zacman
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2003, 09:09:57 PM »
Well Haynie is a technical consultant of the OS4
project according to Hyperion. So his opinions
should not surprise anyone.

(I wonder why he doesn't know much about A1/OS4
then though).

Offline Coder

• Show only replies by Coder
    • http://www.amiga.nl
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2003, 09:20:25 PM »
Dave Haynie, the man, the legend. He rulez beyond this world.

He does take that interview not light, what a reading.

Bill Buck, if your reading, get that man a free Pegasos on the double. Don't make me send mine to him. Better yet, get him on your team.

Coder
Check it out - I found the ass-end!

Offline DaveC

• Show only replies by DaveC
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2003, 09:27:59 PM »

Offline cdfr

• Show only replies by cdfr
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2003, 09:34:21 PM »
He says AmigaOne and Pegasos are nothing special.
I agree if you compare them to the A1000 which was a revolution.

On the other hand the piosone project was a really similar product to the Pegasos or Amigaone. Nothing really special, just a cool upgrade path for Amigans: an Amiga wanabee project (they did not have the Amiga name) like he says about the Pegasos.

He is accusing Genesi to split the community while the PiosOne would have done the exact same thing.

He is also harsh with the AROS effort.

Reading him I can see that he prefers beos which is as JLG said "Amiga 96" but still keep interest on OS4 because it has the Amiga name.

Neither Amigaone, nor Pegasos are revolutionary hardware, neither MorphOS nor OS4 are revolutionary OS. The only revolution may come to what you can do with such small footprint OS running on a such scalable CPU as the PPC.

Also I think Dave failed to understand Genesi plans wich are not  to be the new Amiga, but to take the best of the Amiga to make new end user products that may be a start for a new revolution like the A1000 was.

Offline Warface

• Show only replies by Warface
    • http://www.spacehawks.hu
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2003, 09:35:33 PM »
Bill Buck, if your reading, get that man a free Pegasos on the double. Don't make me send mine to him. Better yet, get him on your team.

The first sensible thought here. Pagestream will have a MorphOS version - a few weeks before at Grasshopper they couldn't care less for MorphOS. Experiencing it can change ppl's mind.

Offline Coder

• Show only replies by Coder
    • http://www.amiga.nl
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2003, 09:39:14 PM »
@Warface

My thoughts! :-)

I mean before I had my Peg and MOS I really did not like it. Why? Because it was not Amiga like. You know the first thing I noticed? It gave me that "old" Amiga feeling.

Coder
Check it out - I found the ass-end!

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2003, 09:46:48 PM »
ikir wrote:
My Amiga don't crash 3 times on 6 (Pianeta Amiga experience), and my Amiga can play Audio CD without crush the system.

Always spam here?

Spam, yes - but not from me.

MorphOS on Pegasos is more stable than AmigaOS3.9 on an Amiga, period. I have both. And I can play audio CDs too, as well as play ogg, mp3, divx, use warp3d and warpup apps. All stabler and *much* faster than using an Amiga. OS4 is simply not finished and is years behind this. If it runs stable on A1 by Spring, I'll be surprised.

Offline Radfoo

• Show only replies by Radfoo
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2003, 09:52:55 PM »
Okay everybody, most people already know each others views on A1/Pegasos.  Lets try and talk about the rest of the interview.

I particularly enjoyed reading about the stuff he has done since Commodore, its a pity those companies could not have been more successfull as some of the ideas were cool.

I also would love to get one of those A3000+ machines :-D

Offline uncharted

• Show only replies by uncharted
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2003, 09:53:42 PM »
Cracking interview, cheers Dave/Kees

@KennyR et al.

People are allowed to think for themselves you know.  Just because someone doesn't share thier views with you doesn't mean they are wrong.

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #29 from previous page: October 01, 2003, 09:56:11 PM »
And my apologies for looking like I'm trolling - it's just the whole Haynie thing brings Amiga user stubborness to view. It's irritating, just like watching the crew of a sinking ship ignore the speedboats on the side and all pile into a rickety, half-inflated dingy just because it has a nice name written on it.

I just won't allow lies to be told about better paths. Crash 3 times out of 6? Haha!