Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AO Interview - Dave Haynie  (Read 20604 times)

Description:

Offline KeesTopic starter

• Show only replies by Kees
    • http://www.amiga.org
AO Interview - Dave Haynie
« on: October 01, 2003, 07:10:15 PM »
The staff of Amiga.org are proud to release this great interview we did with Dave Haynie.

In this interview Dave takes the time to tell us all about the time he spent with Commodore and his work on the Amiga. He also shares his views on the current situation in the Amiga community -- and of course he talks about Merlancia.

Sit back and read all you ever wanted to know about this well known Amiga designer from the good ol' Commodore days.

Check out the Dave Haynie Interview ...
Kees Witteveen
Amiga.org

** Cool Signature **

Offline Miffo

• Show only replies by Miffo
Re: AO Interview - Dave Haynie
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2003, 07:30:06 PM »
Wery interesting! And long!  :-o  :-)

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2003, 07:37:51 PM »
I don't get Haynie sometimes. He's got this idea in his head that if it's called Amiga, it must rule. It doesn't matter to him that OS4 and A1 isn't done by any of the original people and aren't anything like the original Amiga. It doesn't matter that Amiga Inc. are simply a millstone around further advancement of the Amiga community.

He'd rather play with OS4 than MorphOS, even though MOS will almost certainly have a more original feel to AmigaOS.

Sad.

Offline meerschaum

• Show only replies by meerschaum
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2003, 07:41:30 PM »
Well overall I can see where an ex-merlancia worker and original commodore  guy is brand loyal, but I do think he's wrong to dismiss MorphOS/Pegasos as 'wannabee' amiga based on the fact that they dont have the name, wich is the only thing the AOA (Axis of Amiga) has in its favor.

Offline alex

• Show only replies by alex
    • http://www.never2funky.com
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2003, 07:47:50 PM »
To me (and this is a sore subject)

Morphos and pegasos are way more Amiga then Amiga OS4 and AmigaOne.

These folks created the entire widget, unlike Amiga where one group owns the name, one has the hardware in monopoly, and the last has the OS who refuse to properly port is around.

If anything the Amiga crew sound like a bunch of Mini-Microsofts, tightly controlling their own little kingdoms via EULAs and custom boot chips that don't add functionality, but instead protect a monopoly.

Time will tell, but in the case of Amiga, God only hope that one of the three falling under won't drag the other two with it.

-Alex

Offline Radfoo

• Show only replies by Radfoo
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2003, 08:10:41 PM »
Phew.. finished!

That was a good interview (fix the dates though!), you have to respect that guy!

I agree with his Amiga/Pegasos views. I expect both products could be as good as each other (when they are finished), but the brand will help A1/OS4.

Offline Nickman

• Show only replies by Nickman
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2003, 08:10:54 PM »
Very nice reading.

A big thank you to amiga.org for makeing it and to Dave Haynie for takeing the time to answer all the questions.

This is THE Amiga person i would want to talk to IRL. He seems so nice and a cool guy   :-)

But i guess there will be alot of MOS followers that will be dissepointed by some of his comment  :-D

Tnx Again.
----
Amiga1200T
Mediator/Voodoo3 3000/100mbit NIC/SB128
Blizzppc 603e 210Mhz 040 25Mhz, 192 mb ram,Bvision
SCSI Ultra320 74GB HD,4x Burner,MO drive.

Offline Hooligan_DCS

• Show only replies by Hooligan_DCS
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2003, 08:17:23 PM »
Would you trust this man?

Dave Haynie

:-D

Offline Hooligan_DCS

• Show only replies by Hooligan_DCS
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2003, 08:18:46 PM »
@Nickman
>But i guess there will be alot of MOS followers that will be dissepointed by some of his comment

Naah.. as he said he haven't tried either of them.

Offline Lo

• Show only replies by Lo
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2003, 08:21:27 PM »
@KennyR
He'd rather play with OS4 than MorphOS, even though MOS will almost certainly have a more original feel to AmigaOS

Almost Certainly? :lol:  :lol:

Man, sometimes I think the DOOMMASTER makes more sense to me?  :-?
[color=0000CC]GVP 060 @50 Pwr Twr [/color][color=FF0000]AMD_Amithlon_UAE[/color]

Offline meerschaum

• Show only replies by meerschaum
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2003, 08:26:28 PM »
I dont think it'll look/feel MORE like original AmigaOS because MorphOS's vision isnt to stay a 1980's OS.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2003, 08:34:12 PM »
Interesting. I'm not too surprised by his Peggy/MOS comments. He has stated in the past he doesn't have much more than a curiosity towards OS4/A1, so why would he be interested in a variant? His curiosity in OS4 comes from a nostalgia stand point.

At least he shoots straight and from the hip.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2003, 08:34:55 PM »
@ Nickman

Very nice reading.

A big thank you to amiga.org for makeing it and to Dave Haynie for takeing the time to answer all the questions.

Indeed! This is more than an Interview, this is a ... **document** (of history?).

Thanks to Dave for taking the time and putting down the effort, and thanks to amiga.org for making it happen! :-)

But i guess there will be alot of MOS followers that will be dissepointed by some of his comment

Not me! :-) It's very obvious that he has a lot of emotions attached to the "name", heck, "the name" is probably a big part of his self identity. There is where he made his fame, there is where he made his great accomplishments. I would probably feel exactly the same if I were in his shoes (even though the brand is pretty fücked up by now).

But that does not make his words the "truth" in any way. He has not tried OS4, neither MorphOS, yet he "knows" a lot! ;-) But the explanation to that can probably be found in what I wrote above. Emotions connected to the brand, not facts. I'm OK with that, and I hope he will have an opportunity to try MorphOS soon, I know he will feel right at home!

I also don't agree with his views on "open" platform (á la the x86) vs "proprietary". There is only one reason to why Apple still exists, and that is thanks to their "proprietary" strategy. They are selling one product, one entity, not an OS alone, not HW alone. If they should have stopped doing that and, say, moved over to the open x86 platform, I am pretty sure they would face the same faith as Be did.

It's interesting that he still follows the Amiga platform, at least briefly. I hope he will continue doing that! :-) And thank you again for this very nice interview! :-) :-)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline Warface

• Show only replies by Warface
    • http://www.spacehawks.hu
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2003, 08:45:40 PM »
Interesting. Dave Haynie was involved in the PIOS project AFAIR, which was practically pissed off by Amiga users. Now he does the same. History repeats itself? Or he has learned something?

I agree with him though - the name is a power not to be underestimated.

EDIT

Maybe interesting read, even today:

DH -

The goal with the PIOS One is basically to make an A2000 for the late 90s, which is shipping close to the 10th anniversary of the A2000 (it even says "Haynie/Fisher" on the motherboard). No one today can rightly claim they're building "the next Amiga", that's only possible if you buy the Amiga assets, and even then, it's as much for the market to decide. But this system is designed to do what the A2000 did well. My goal on the 2000 was to build a platform system, something that started out basic, but was easy to add to or expand.

Change a few names here and there... And... Wow! What a pity.

Offline ikir

• Show only replies by ikir
    • http://www.ikirsector.it
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2003, 08:46:00 PM »
Nice interview. Congratulations Kees. It is very interesting.

even though MOS will almost certainly have a more original feel to AmigaOS.

???????????

My Amiga don't crash 3 times on 6 (Pianeta Amiga experience), and my Amiga can play Audio CD without crush the system.  

Always spam here?