Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pegasos - MorphOs Review on Osnews.com  (Read 3833 times)

Description:

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
Re: Pegasos - MorphOs Review on Osnews.com
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2003, 01:09:06 PM »
Pretty fair review I'd say. I don't agree 100% with a few comments but overall fair:-)
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline Rodney

• Show only replies by Rodney
    • http://donthaveone.com/
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2003, 02:01:48 PM »

I'm was surprised to read that Genesi send OSnews.com a pegasos just to review.

I mean ... I don't think Osnews.com is getting that much readers to justify a "gift" like that. I could be wrong about the visitor numbers they get, but looking at the commentnumbers .. it can't be that much.

If i was Genesi, i would send one to slashdot.org ... more possible buyers/developers there ...

OSNews get quite a lot of readers. Im not sure what it is but its quite a few. Especialy in the last year.

OSNews probably also has more of a direct link to Genesi's audience.

OSNews also gets a good presence on slashdot from time to time.
We are not Humans having a spirital experiance
We are Spirits having a Human experiance.

Offline ikir

• Show only replies by ikir
    • http://www.ikirsector.it
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2003, 02:06:26 PM »
Interesting interview

Offline Rodney

• Show only replies by Rodney
    • http://donthaveone.com/
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2003, 02:06:50 PM »
Over all, it think it was great to have someone not bias in anyway way, to review the product! Its great, and now i have a little more interest in the product.

Not that i'll buy it, cause im tight :) and this P2 233 recently upgraded to a P2 400 is doing fine atm :).

But seriously, it kinda makes me wish now that OS4 was being developed for the Pegasos. Plus, Pegasos does seem to have quite a large range of OS's which is making it so attractive :) (especialy for people who cant care less for AmigaOS/MorphOS).
We are not Humans having a spirital experiance
We are Spirits having a Human experiance.

Offline KeesTopic starter

• Show only replies by Kees
    • http://www.amiga.org
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2003, 03:04:38 PM »
@bbrv
Nothing is wrong with the article, its a good article ... I just *don't* understand why you give away a Pegasos to a site like Osnews instead of a site like slashdot ... Giving it to slashdot would be a better "investment" and more would be more profitable ...

At least submit the Osnews article to slashdot for more (lots more) readers. Slashdot will probably post it.
Kees Witteveen
Amiga.org

** Cool Signature **

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2003, 03:08:54 PM »
@ all

Why can't you people agree with the fact that such a review would be more profitable on a site like slashdot ??

its stupid to deny it ..  :-D
Kees Witteveen
Amiga.org

** Cool Signature **

Offline System

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2003, 03:16:24 PM »
@Nomaam,

I have to politely disagree with your assessment.  Slashdot has an infinitely wider audience, granted, but in general, their site is filled with malcontented people who literally seem to hate everything.  OSNews.com is seen as a somewhat smaller but unbiased source of news and reviews.  (Wish I could say the same for their moderation staff).

As such, it's by far better suited as a "first step" in marketing.  Genesi got her feedback as a non-Amiga community "outsider", they now know what they should consider changing to make MorphOS more desirable to the outside markets, and will more than likely accept those changes.

The market here is to show that the Pegasos runs all these OS's and is really the cross-platform of choice, and not necessarily for the Amiga-only market.  It takes time to establish the worth of being able to have a PPC motherboard that you can run multiple operating systems on and I don't think the people at slashdot are willing at this point to accept that.

Slashdot eventually, but not first.

Offline hnl_dk

• Show only replies by hnl_dk
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2003, 03:17:44 PM »
Why can't you people agree with the fact that such a review would be more profitable on a site like slashdot ??

@ nOMAAM:

There might be more people looking at Slashdot.org, but OSNews.com is more pro ... I think the best thing is what You have have written yourself ... Make a link at Slashdot.org :-D
Best regards,
Henning Nielsen Lund [Denmark]...

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2003, 03:23:50 PM »
I agree with Wayne. Articles are posted at /. are usually more to be a target for ranting and contempt more often than to be genuinely interesting.

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2003, 03:26:01 PM »
OSNews is a good testing area for Genesi.  /. OTOH, is a major leage site and Genesi better have ALL their ducks in a row prior to having /. do a review.  Genesi has one chance to do /. right, this clearly a step in preparing for something like that.

Unless I'm completely off base, this is exactly the business tatics I would expect from a West Pointer.  

Dammy
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline Hooligan_DCS

• Show only replies by Hooligan_DCS
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2003, 03:34:21 PM »
Ok.. lets wrap it up.

1) The person is clearly not capable of doing a _good_ review, and it shows. No experience how things work and how AmigaOS, and Amiga itself works. Ok, it's a one kind of review and thats ok.. outsider point of view. Got valid points, lots that I agree on aswell, but thats not a kind of review that an experienced Amiga user would do. One can debate was it targeted to Amiga users at all, but it was expected it would find itself to all amiga sites, so the answer IMO is yes.
2) Why the hell to do a review of 1.3 when it's public information that it has lots of unneccessarry bugs and lots of features are missing, of those many are fixed in 1.4, released shortly? Ok.. of course there could be a new review that compares whats fixed and added, but I can't see why she couldn't wait a couple weeks and even get to know the OS more better. There are people finding out new things weeks after use as there are no proper documentation of the OS itself, yet.
3) Why indeed a Peg wasn't sent to, for example, Slashdot, after 1.4 is released? Someone said sending it to osnews now was a step backwards and I agree.  
4) The review itself felt like it was done in half an hour, rushed. I've seen better reviews of different banana- and yoghurtlabels than this one.

That said, it's interesting to see how an outside feels about the system, after all, it will be targeted to "outsiders" soon. But the timing was wrong for this review. Is it reviewers fault for reviewing it too soon, or Genesi's fault for sending it to her too soon, pick a side.. as I am  a complete bastard and overal negative man, I blame both equally ;-)

Just my 10 cents.

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2003, 03:38:05 PM »
@Wayne

Slashdot has an infinitely wider audience, granted, but in general, their site is filled with malcontented people who literally seem to hate everything.

Partly true .. There are alot of people who like to take a swing at things .. but at the same time .. its the negative comments that you remember ...same goes for AO ... right ?

As such, it's by far better suited as a "first step" in marketing. Genesi got her feedback as a non-Amiga community "outsider", they now know what they should consider changing to make MorphOS more desirable to the outside markets, and will more than likely accept those changes.

Action - Reaction ... the more responce you get, the better. The more demand you create .. the more you can offer.

The only problem with mass demand is that Genesi could probably not deliver at this point.
Kees Witteveen
Amiga.org

** Cool Signature **

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2003, 03:39:10 PM »
@hnl_dk

I only post/submit to Amiga.org :-)
Kees Witteveen
Amiga.org

** Cool Signature **

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2003, 03:40:36 PM »
Someone said sending it to osnews now was a step backwards and I agree.

Thank you :-)
Kees Witteveen
Amiga.org

** Cool Signature **

Offline IonDeluxe

• Show only replies by IonDeluxe
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2003, 04:11:22 PM »
it certainly cleared a few things up for me.
As for the impact on the OS, I dont think it was a glowing review, but I dont think it was bad either.
I think the review landed slap bang on the "neutral" stand.

this comment does concern me though and would like some clarification from BBRV

We started with the Amiga Community, because it offered applications and a development community we could work with and WORK THEY HAVE! :-D This was the "genesis" of the effort. The future is CLEARLY directed at the growing demand for something new and different.

This could be taken to mean any one of several differant things.

I\\\'d post something satirical, but I\\\'m afraid it might get used as genuine evidence in the Thendic Amiga trial!

Offline amigamad

• Show only replies by amigamad
« Reply #29 from previous page: May 19, 2003, 04:14:12 PM »
This is an honest review from someone who does not use amigas, and could be a good help to help win people over who have never used an amiga compatable computer . Im sure it will  help them to get some points in the software changed to make it apeal to more people who use windows or linux pc,s .Hyperion should do the same with os 4 this way there is no bias towards any software and hardware and you gain info that will also improve ethier machine and software .Top marks to bbrv to giving them a machine to try and review as time goes on software will improve to, after all its still be written and updated by the time of full release all problems will be sorted out .

And i like osnews more than slashdot i go there every day. :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-)  :-P
I once had an amigaone xe but sold it .

http://www.tamiyaclub.com