Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: individual Computers supports Commodore One project  (Read 10882 times)

Description:

Chathurawind

individual Computers supports Commodore One project
« on: April 04, 2002, 02:39:20 PM »
Commodore One is a C-64 compatible computer with lots of added features that has been under development for more than a year now. The project is close to completion, and the first production run can be started within the next three months.

Individual Computers will support Jeri Ellsworth, the developer of the new computer, with money, sourcing of material and knowledge about small quantity production.

The new board will be distributed in Europe by individual Computers, so it will be available from all our trade partners mentioned on the contact page of Jens Schönfeld's website.

Jeri Ellsworth, the former owner of the "Computer made easy" stores, will sell all retrocomputing-related products from individual Computer's product line, such as the Retro Replay, the Catweasel floppy controller and the "Retro Replay plus Silversurfer" combination.

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
Re: individual Computers supports Commodore One project
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2002, 03:28:39 PM »
This is a joke right?? :-?

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2002, 03:34:35 PM »
No, this is no joke!! The CommdoreOne has been in development for a few years now. It isn't intended to be a PC or Mac killer, it is meant for the remaining 8bit C= enthusiast like myself.

www.commodoreone.com

That site is down atm :-(  Geocities pulls it every now and then because it gets too much traffic :-(  But it should be up very shortly.

BTW the target price for a CommodoreOne ATX motherboard was $200. Not bad.
 :-o
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2002, 03:36:07 PM »
BTW I want one of these Commodore ones just as badly as I want my AmigaOne :-D

Chathurawind

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2002, 03:38:30 PM »
well, i don`t mind some crazy enthusiasts, but you commodore people are damned strange. i mean, its weird enough the amiga freaks hold on to the last dying bits of hardware, lying to themselves that they outperform other machines etc. when they know all it gives then is grief and an expensive hobby.
but c64 compatible? wtf is the point?

maybe this issue is rather like fore-skin peircing. --keep it to yerself!--

Offline Rodney

• Show only replies by Rodney
    • http://donthaveone.com/
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2002, 03:42:13 PM »
Redy, it seems that your the only one so far that takes this seriously... Can i ask what the hardware platform is? Is it supposed to be able to run the old c64 games/OS nativly?

That is, its still an 8bit system isnit it?
We are not Humans having a spirital experiance
We are Spirits having a Human experiance.

Offline Erwin-K

• Show only replies by Erwin-K
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2002, 03:54:42 PM »
To Anon. Poster: Speak for yourself only. :roll:

I create stuff with Amigas all the time at work. In certain cases I can still pull a few rabbits out of my checkered hat that PC users can't duplicate.

I agree that the C64 is mostly a hobby machine, but I made my first national writing sale using a C64 with WordPro.

If anyone has the know-how to support this new board, its Jens.

Best,
                    Bob Kennedy
Best,

Bob Kennedy

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2002, 04:02:50 PM »
1)Redy, it seems that your the only one so far that takes this seriously...

Are you surprised? This is an *amiga* forum, not a C= forum:-) I know the 2 women responsible for the C=One personally so I can tell you it is no fake.

2)Can i ask what the hardware platform is? Is it supposed to be able to run the old c64 games/OS nativly?

It is tested to be virtually 100% backwards compatible to the C64. It has the 65816 CPU clocked at 20Mhz. The same CPU as the CMD SuperCPU accelerator, but without the bottlenecks of the original C64/128.

Before people like mr anonymous here starts bashing the CommodoreOne, you really should read up a bit on it. This is an ALL NEW *CUSTOM* computer. It has ALOT in common with the early Amigas, and in alot of ways BETTER than the early Amigas!
Here's some pics of the early prototypes.

http://www.geocities.com/profdredd/cmdrone.html

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2002, 04:08:33 PM »
but c64 compatible? wtf is the point?

maybe this issue is rather like fore-skin peircing. --keep it to yerself!--

Why do you have to be so negative and insulting?

I want a Commodore One because I love using and developing for exotic hardware. I'm a big C64 fan.

I don't think that a computer has to have super fast 3D graphics and the latest Microturd operating system to be worthy of my time, and many others don't either.

I don't understand why I should "keep it to myself", or even what you mean by that...
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

Chathurawind

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2002, 04:27:39 PM »
Before people like mr anonymous here starts bashing the CommodoreOne, you really should read up a bit on it. This is an ALL NEW *CUSTOM* computer. It has ALOT in common with the early Amigas, and in alot of ways BETTER than the early Amigas!

sound interesting... and at a price of 200$, even if it's pure crap it wouldn't hurt much to buy one and try it out... but where could i read more about it? i can't get to the website youv'e mentioned. is there another source of information about this archaic-and-strange-to-say-the-least computer?

Offline ido

• Show only replies by ido
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2002, 04:30:04 PM »
Oops! forgut to sign in... thats me in the one above (wanting info)
--\\"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.\\"

Offline csirac_

• Show only replies by csirac_
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2002, 04:33:18 PM »
It's not supposed to "beat" anything. It's not a /serious/ platform, it's a platform for serious hobbyists :)

Take a look at all the C64 related developments on the 'net - C64 dev tools, emulators, sid players, documentation, demos, games, programs, hardware hacks - are all being worked on and updated to this day. WHY? Well why not. Some people just plain love to do useless things, be it learn welsh, become a politician, taking up scientoligy...

The CommodoreOne is an awesomely "useless" computer that should have enthusiasts excited over the fact they have something new to play with.

The C64 has far outdone itself - try telling the public back in 1982 that it would be capable of being a web server, IRC client, crude web browser, run 3-D texture mapped games (err.. demos I should say ;)... they wouldn't know what you were smoking. Maybe they still don't.

Point is, now they've raised the bar... 20MHz of raw, "pointless" power, with PCI slots and a IDE HDD...

8-bit coding is still very much in place. Embedded micros, zilog's range of 8 bitters that can be tcp/ip capable, texas instruments calculators & their insane hackers,

it's really endless so now I'll leave you all alone..

- Paul

P.S. Check this out - http://www.analogik.com. Follow the 'visual' projects link on the left - and follow the pic's. It's of a Brisbane bus/train station still using C64s to run their displays...

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2002, 04:33:38 PM »
? i can't get to the website youv'e mentioned. is there another source of information about this archaic-and-strange-to-say-the-least computer?

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=commodoreone&hl=en&selm=la0f8.518%24d%254.1563561%40bcandid.telisphere.com&rnum=1

Chathurawind

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2002, 04:35:06 PM »
You already have a closed mind so why why don't close your mouth as well!

Offline System

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2002, 04:41:06 PM »
It's not supposed to "beat" anything. It's not a /serious/ platform, it's a platform for serious hobbyists :)

I agree, and I'd say that's what the classic Amiga is nowadays too. It does have a practical use in that it inspires people to see exactly what they can squeeze out of limited hardware. "Modern" programmers (I'm sounding like a right oldie here - I'm only 23!) can get away nowadays with writing stupidly inefficient code... it doesn't really matter when you've got 4GHz to play around with.  8-)