Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bill McEwen to appear on TechTV  (Read 7592 times)

Description:

Offline AmiGod

• Show only replies by AmiGod
Re: Bill McEwen to appear on TechTV
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2002, 03:36:57 AM »
I'm glad I subscribed to TechTV when it came to Canada in September of last year.

But a quick search on the TechTV site revealed to me that tomorrow night will not be Bill's first appearance on the TechTV channel.  He apparently also appeared on an episode of Silicon Spin (hosted by John C. Dvorak) back on November 1st, 2000.  "Bill McEwen of Amiga" is indicated as one of the guest hosts for that episode.  I wish I'd have seen it.

For him to be on The Screen Savers will definitely be a plus for Amiga and the Amiga community.

Anyways, I'll definitely be taping it.  And for those of you living in the Ottawa (Canada) area, I'll be showing the episode at this month's Amiga.info user group meeting.

For more information on Amiga.info, check out www.technomages.net/amiga.info/.

AmiGod

Offline Rodney

• Show only replies by Rodney
    • http://donthaveone.com/
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2002, 08:49:23 AM »
AmiGod, how long is this show, or how long will bill be on it for?

I would also like to see this. Would it be terrible hard for you to vcd or divX it (or maybe even 3ivX it)?

That way, various shows all over the world will get to see your video :).

Copyright you say? Whats that... :-D
We are not Humans having a spirital experiance
We are Spirits having a Human experiance.

Chathurawind

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2002, 09:24:02 AM »
Man that's great...I just finished watching and when they said AMIGA I got all juicy.

I had to abandon my ol girl when I couldn't get a compatible monitor.

I'm on the Mac now but I'd love too see the Amiga get back in the rubnning.

BWAAAHHH  I miss DPaint.
cripeman

Offline System

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2002, 01:36:06 PM »
the show screen savers is 1 hour 30 minutes long.

Offline System

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2002, 04:02:50 PM »
Groan!

I had TechTV but changed cable providers and the new one will provide TechTV starting in April!  An mpg would be great!

The comment about Bill being on before is correct, I saw it and he did a fine job.  

I remember reading somewhere Bill said John Dvorak is a friend and old Amiga head (John mentioned Amiga in one of his latest articles at PC magazine)

Bob C.

Chathurawind

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2002, 04:13:16 PM »
if someone were to tape it and post it to the UK i`d be willing to capture it and convert it to divx, vcd compliant mpeg and real media/quicktime. i`ve got hosting which can be used. if you`re interested drop me a line:
bap@0wnz-j00.co.uk

NTSC isn`t a problem for me :) :-D

Chathurawind

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2002, 07:20:14 PM »
This explains the whole Microsoft thing.

Bill Gates' buddy from college was
Paul Allen

Paul Allen owns Tech TV and Charter cable.

Chathurawind

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2002, 07:57:47 PM »
For those who don't/can't get TechTV, they sometimes post video clips to the show's website.  Following the show's initial airing, try going to http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/ and click on the link in "show notes."

No guarantee that Bill's segment will get posted, or what format it might be, but worth a check...

Chathurawind

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2002, 11:28:54 PM »
Paul  Allen also invested heavily in Transmeta, where Linux creator Linus Torvalds works.

Offline AmiGod

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2002, 02:26:07 AM »
Rodney,

The show lasts an hour and a half, and chances are that Bill will be on the show for 10-15 minutes.

The show has started, and at the beginning, they showed an A1000 with monitor/keyboard on the screen when announcing that Bill was on the show.  Another ironic thing is that they're giving away a Gateway 'PC' on today's show (they've been doing it for a week and a half now).

It would be extremely difficult for me to VCD/DiVX it.  The reason is that my A4kT doesn't have the tech to do it.  As powerful as it is.

I hope that there's someone out there with the channel and the appropriate technology who will MPEG it for the community, providing s/he gets the green light from TechTV, because it's a shame that a lot of Amigans can't see the show.

Keep an eye on this page: "http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/shownotes/story/0,24330,2189418,00.html" for the happenings on today's show.  It's always possible that they'll post a clip of Bill on the show once the show is over.  No guarantees.

I'm sorry that I can't be of more help.

AmiGod

Offline AmiGod

Re: Bill McEwen to appear on TechTV [UPDATE]
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2002, 02:59:25 AM »
>It won't be good news if Bill totaly scr*ws up the whole program ...

... we'll know right after this batch of commercials. :)

... they're back.

... and the segment is over.  I was going to write everything that happened, but a lot happened in 10+ minutes, and the key feature of it that comes to mind is Bill running Planet Z on a laptop, on an old PocketPC, and on a Sharp Zaurus, and it looking the same on all three, segwaying into him mentioning Amiga Anywhere, due in April.

The only screw-up in the segment came from the producers of the show, who accidentally (yet again) misspelled Bill's last name.  Maybe Bill should change his last name to McEwan. ;)

But the segment was a total success, from my own point of view.

As a side-note, I just checked www.amiga.com, and it's so overloaded with hits that I couldn't connect after 5 minute.  I can't wait to hear more about those hits.

AmiGod

Offline System

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2002, 02:59:48 AM »
:-D

it was pretty cool. planet zed got plugged big time. he also mentioned amiga one and os4.0 and "amiga for x86", the host kind of sounded like "er, yer, thats cool" on the amiga x86 thing and bill m. never really got the chance to say "amithlon", or "hyperion", but hey, it all got mentioned to some degree and from amiga's site people can find their way to the rest i suppose. was only about 7 minutes long but it was very good i think. they also went into some amiga history.

i think amiga's packaging looks pretty good. id like to see the original font type though.

quote from the show, "keep the faith baby! keep the faith!"

Chathurawind

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2002, 03:12:31 AM »
It was good, neat stuff he showed. But the amiga site is either jammed up with traffic or down right now. Can't see the amiga.com or the new site.

:-P

Chathurawind

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2002, 03:14:28 AM »
kwc@excite.com

I have captured it as an mpeg1 file that is 85,246,644 bytes. I have no way to post it to the internet except by email to someone who can post it. I have ICQ, windows messenger, and yahoo messenger if someone wants to connect and do a file transfer. I do have a cable modem, so it wouldn't take an unbearable amount of time. :-)

Offline System

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2002, 03:19:35 AM »
thats great. cant it be uploaded to aminet? ( maybe not i dont know their rules. maybe if techtv gives the ok )

Chathurawind

« Reply #29 from previous page: March 14, 2002, 03:19:45 AM »
An mpg is posted on Ann.lu