Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Amigas to be shown at Amiga Expo  (Read 11900 times)

Description:

Chathurawind

Re: New Amigas to be shown at Amiga Expo
« Reply #29 from previous page: March 04, 2002, 06:02:27 PM »
no it's not going to fool the remaining market....the remaining market is savvy users...and they will all ignore this crap.

It's only a pc and nothing more.

This isn't a legitimate company, its just some loser working out of his bedroom, like 'Merlancia Industries.'  Ha, ha, you all will swear that wasn't fair, but it is.

Stick with companies that have proven histories.     Companies like Amiga, Inc., Hyperion, Eye-tech....they do have histories of getting things done.  Mind you, not a whole lot, mostly ports and rereleases of other peoples product, or in the case of eye-tech reselling hardware...but its more than nothing and about the best we got.

This announcement is NOTHING.   If I want a pc, I'll buy one on my own thank you.

Chathurawind

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2002, 08:53:19 PM »
These PC's are manufactured from these guys

https://www.cybernetman.com/default.cfm?docid=608

Offline theTAO

• Show only replies by theTAO
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2002, 09:25:47 PM »
> I dont think Amiga.org is PC Biased. If that was so, you would
> hardle see Amiga news at all, if at all...
>
> I think amiga.org has just become less Amiga biased, which is
> good.

That doesn't make much sense.  This is an AMIGA site.  If it's going to be biased in any way, it should be Amiga-biased.  If Wayne wants to go in another direction, that's his decision, but I would ask he buy a new domain name.

> Many of us use Windows, Linux and other Operating system on x86. A
> lot of people like x86.
>
> So yes, you must be a black sheep. Infact, i dont even own an
> amiga... infact, i have a 500 that is gathering dust, but i dont
> use it! :)

When you say "Amiga biased", I hope you mean only Amiga-specific hardware.  Should I presume that AmigaOS is one of the other OS's on your PC?

Todd

Chathurawind

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2002, 12:41:50 AM »
Hello everyone,

I have to say that what everyone is saying is both right and wrong.  Extreme Corporation's X-1200 is a good idea if anyone wants something like that.  There are Amiga users that are tired of waiting for OS 4.0 and AmigaOne.  Maybe some of them are having troubles booting their old faithful Amiga hardware and really need to get a new, working Amiga without having to wait another month to six months (maybe).

Many of our users group members purchased the Amiga OSXL and bought our Intel PCs using the Amiga OSXL's shopping list of hardware, only to find that OSXL or Amithlon wouldn't work with it.  We've had workshops where members would bring in their hardware and we put our heads together trying to get this stuff to work.  I can only imagine what a lot of Amigans are going through trying to get this stuff to work properly that don't have the support of other Amiga users in a users group.  

In some cases a computer containing the proper graphics/video card would say that it was the correct card supported by OSXL, only to be a cheap Southeast Asian knock-off that wouldn't work in the end.  Now imagine spending thousands of dollars on hardware only to find out that it won't work with your OS?  It's hard to return computer hardware for that.

A few month's ago Todd Gustafson from Extreme Corporation put on a presentation at our users group and showed us all of his hardware.  The hardware is OEMed and his employees install the OS and emulation stuff for the customers.  Personally I think buying a PC with the Amiga OSXL already installed, tested, and ready to go is a great idea and well worth some people to consider.  Some Amigans are happy to own off-the-shelf PC equipment and running their favorite Amiga OS on it.  That is one of Bill McEwen's wishes after all.

There has also been a lot of development for Amithlon and Amiga OSXL that improves its use of Amiga software.  This isn't a rip off; far from it.  This is a great way of getting a guaranteed working Amiga on PC hardware.  It comes right out of the box doing it.  You don't have to be a rocket scientist to install it, it arrives already to go.  What's important is that it's real and you can buy it right now.  You don't have to wait and pray any longer like with the AmigaOne/Amiga 4.0.

Naturally, not all of us would want this.  Many of us want a PPC AmigaOne (or equivalent) using Amiga OS 4.x.  There are also many very technical Amigans out there that can build their own system like this themselves.  And more power to them.  For the rest of us though, this is another option.  Extreme Corporation is giving Amigans more choices.

Rick  

Offline Indoro

• Show only replies by Indoro
    • http://www.merlancia.com
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2002, 06:01:44 AM »
Well, I'll be damned if I didn't realize that the former Commodore International building in Germany was a bedroom!

"Shipping/Postal Addresses (DE):
Merlancia Industries (International)
Carl - Giesecke - Str. 5
D-38112 Braunschweig
Germany / Deutschland"

Next time post with your real name, so Merlancia can file a slander case against you.

Offline AmiDelf

• Show only replies by AmiDelf
    • http://www.amitopiatv.com
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2003, 02:49:53 AM »
Heh. This must be the most idiotic news ever. Why going for x86 at all? Why Amithlon? Heck! I will never support this company nor helping them. They dont deserve that.

If there was a new A1200PPC, sure why not. But x86 Amiga? AROS is comming... then why Amithlon?

AmigaWorld.org ignores this, and so should you too.

Regards,
Michal, www.amigaworld.org
I love and respect people which care! And not those with
a heart made of stone.