Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Great idea!  (Read 2649 times)

Description:

Offline bbrvTopic starter

• Show only replies by bbrv
    • http://www.genesi-tech.com
Great idea!
« on: September 14, 2003, 04:54:50 PM »

Very good idea...evolving ahead to meet the future...or maybe create it!

:-)

Congratulations!

R&B  :-)

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
Re: Great idea!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2003, 02:58:56 AM »
This is a rather strange forum for amiga.org :-(
I wonder how this experiment will turn out?

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2003, 03:06:29 AM »
Why exactly is it strange?  Both the Pegasos and particularly the AmigaOne allow you to run various versions of Linux for the PowerPC.  Correct?

Is it not then of value to the community to allow a place for someone to ask questions regarding the development of shareware or even commercial applications and porting for the PPC version of Linux?

Offline redfox

• Show only replies by redfox
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2003, 03:25:01 AM »
Good idea guys.  :-D

Offline Athlon

• Show only replies by Athlon
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2003, 11:39:53 AM »
Great idea ! :-D

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2003, 01:23:18 PM »

Wayne wrote:
Why exactly is it strange?  Both the Pegasos and particularly the AmigaOne allow you to run various versions of Linux for the PowerPC.  Correct?

Is it not then of value to the community to allow a place for someone to ask questions regarding the development of shareware or even commercial applications and porting for the PPC version of Linux?

Actually, it is a little strange. The Amiga community is mostly about software these days. I don't consider the Pegasos or AmigaOne as particularly Amiga-like systems in any way. They're just fairly generic PPC boxes, if such a term is applicable to PPC systems.

Pegasos is said to support many other operating systems soon. Will we have Amiga.org forums for all of them too?

I can understand AmigaOS, MorphOS and AROS forums, but I don't really think there is a need for a Linux PPC one. Linux PPC is already supported elsewhere, with far more expertise that you'll find here.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-Linux or anti-anything. I just think there's a need to draw a line somewhere. People looking for Linux PPC support - be that on an AmigaOne, Pegasos or Mac - should look for it on the Linux dedicated sites, where they will get better advice and information. Furthermore, discussing your Linux problems there rather than here will raise the outside world awareness of the AmigaOne and Pegasos as PPC alternatives to the Mac.
Bill Hoggett

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2003, 01:34:36 PM »
While I do agree that LinuxPPC is very lucky to get a forum here, when it probablt does not deserve it... One should not forget that despite our love of MOS, AOS and AROS... Linux will probably be the next big thing in OS development (or at least as big as things can get with winblows around)...