Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga.org may be running out of time  (Read 8277 times)

Description:

Offline Colani1200

• Show all replies
Re: Amiga.org may be running out of time
« on: March 21, 2009, 11:11:11 AM »
My opinion on this: Preservation of the old content must have 100% priority. This site is not a simple chat type of thing where information looses its value over time. Instead, it has grown to a huge knowledge base around the Amiga technology. Whatever Amiga-related problem you encounter, you will probably find the solution here. So, migrating to a completely different CMS and starting from scratch really isn't an option.

AFAIK, lower 5.x PHP versions have a compatibilty switch that enables PHP4 compatibilty. I'll see if I can find it somewhere. If this is not possible for some kind of reason, I suggest going the way Chaoslord mentioned.

Chaoslord wrote:

There is a migration path from Xoops 2.0 to 3.0.
There is a migration path from Xoops 3.0 to 4.0.
There is a migration path from Xoops 4.0 to 5.0.
There is a migration path from Xoops 5.0 to 6.0.

Loosing classic Amiga browser support is still better than loosing the content. The information collected here over the years is invaluable.

Offline Colani1200

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 11:31:17 AM »

Wayne wrote:

If I had my wish, I'd find a way to build a whole new site around the existing data and use it just as is, while re-orienting Amiga.org into what I *always* (since 1994) pictured it as, and that is what I'd call a "cooperative friend-based networking site".  More of a Facebook than a MySpace, but not really either.

Both of them suck about equally, I think.

A site designed to help each of you interact with one another in such a way that you actually establish friendships, rather than just warring over [insert your favorite target here] on the forums.

OK, just create an Amiga group  on and you're done.

Seriously.  Stop trying to convince yourself (and me) that everything is perfect and ask yourself what you'd like to see supporting the Amiga community.  Chances and glances are that the current Web site isn't it.

I disagree. This site perfectly serves its purpose.

Offline Colani1200

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 04:36:07 PM »

Tomas wrote:
You could always look the old forum for posting and keep it as a archive.

You can't keep it because of the pending server upgrade. That's what this thread is all about.  :roll:

Offline Colani1200

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 04:48:32 PM »

Colani1200 wrote:

AFAIK, lower 5.x PHP versions have a compatibilty switch that enables PHP4 compatibilty. I'll see if I can find it somewhere. If this is not possible for some kind of reason, I suggest going the way Chaoslord mentioned.

I think I found what I meant. The variable zend.ze1_compatibility_mode can be (un)set in php.ini. But this only seems to be for the Zend engine and it only works for PHP < 5.30 so it wouldn't help forever.