Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga.org may be running out of time  (Read 8246 times)

Description:

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
Re: Amiga.org may be running out of time
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2009, 11:25:05 AM »
Why not run AO off a virtual machine that uses php4?

Dammy
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline Colani1200

• Show only replies by Colani1200
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2009, 11:31:17 AM »

Wayne wrote:

If I had my wish, I'd find a way to build a whole new site around the existing data and use it just as is, while re-orienting Amiga.org into what I *always* (since 1994) pictured it as, and that is what I'd call a "cooperative friend-based networking site".  More of a Facebook than a MySpace, but not really either.

Both of them suck about equally, I think.

A site designed to help each of you interact with one another in such a way that you actually establish friendships, rather than just warring over [insert your favorite target here] on the forums.

OK, just create an Amiga group  on and you're done.

Seriously.  Stop trying to convince yourself (and me) that everything is perfect and ask yourself what you'd like to see supporting the Amiga community.  Chances and glances are that the current Web site isn't it.

I disagree. This site perfectly serves its purpose.

Offline HopperJF

• Show only replies by HopperJF
    • http://www.michael-powell.blogspot.com
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2009, 12:53:37 PM »

Colani1200 wrote:
My opinion on this: Preservation of the old content must have 100% priority. This site is not a simple chat type of thing where information looses its value over time. Instead, it has grown to a huge knowledge base around the Amiga technology. Whatever Amiga-related problem you encounter, you will probably find the solution here. So, migrating to a completely different CMS and starting from scratch really isn't an option.

I agree with you!  :-)
Religion is for people who believe in hell.
Spirituality is for people who have been there.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2009, 01:06:20 PM »
yeah but you support the UKIP so your opinion really doesn't count for much does it.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2009, 01:22:57 PM »
Why not go with a entirely different portal software?? You could always look the old forum for posting and keep it as a archive. I think this is better option than dropping all support for amiga browsers. I am unsure what amigaworld uses, but it seems to work fine in ibrowse at least.

Offline wegster

• Show only replies by wegster
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2009, 01:55:14 PM »
Hi Wayne,

I know I don't really post here, but wanted to say I'm sorry to hear of your 'forced upgrade,' that's never fun :-(  As you said, yes, AW is still on 1.x.  

@thread
Migration of large databases to some 'random yet different, in odd and incompatible ways' is not 'an easy fix' as some of you seem to believe (even while Wayne has said it's not the case :-/ ).  For something like your contacts or address book, that has half a dozen or so fields, sure, no problem.  You'll have to trust Wayne and others with more CMS and DB experience when it's said - you do NOT want to see the DB schema for XOOPS - it's rather bizarre.  Also, all of the 'features' modules as well.  The more tables and fields there are, the more difficult it becomes to do any sort of 'easy translation' into another system.  

And in this case (CMSes/forums, etc) - you'll find any potential system being migrated to, has it's own DB schema oddities to it, as well.  Sure, *some* of it *might* be easy, but even for users, there's more data than just nick and password...Just the way forum sections are split out can be entirely different, let alone all the polls, news stories, profile data, etc etc etc.

Having said that, I've rarely seen too many issues in moving from PHP -> PHP5.  You may need to do some tweaks for the php.ini file at worst, but the majority of PHP code 'just works' going from php4.x -> php5.x.  

Someone (argo) looks like he even quickly stood up a XOOPS 2 instance in PHP5.  

There can *always* be issues...and there usually are, and Wayne was being *nice* in raising 'there may be some issues ahead' to his users.  Those of you saying 'oh, no problem, move to < something else >'.. I bet haven't actually *done* what they're proposing.  It can be done, possibly with some lost data (polls, perhaps, other features, some user data from profiles can't be migrated, etc), but it can be, and usually is, a *lot* of work and time - test instances, lots of schema comparisons and writing transformation code, but even before that, *understanding* both the old and new schemas, triggers, odd looking table layouts that you normally never touch just running the site...

Anyways, good luck, Wayne - I hope it goes well.

Offline coldfish

• Show only replies by coldfish
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2009, 02:38:04 PM »
Those 8% are long over due a little shove into the 21st century, maybe this will do it (not holding my breath)? :-D

S/h PC's are almost free, it wouldn't hurt anyone to try something different no matter how much they hate; Apple, Microsoft, Linux, anything new...

Offline benJamin

• Show only replies by benJamin
    • http://cms.jaminjay.com/
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2009, 03:39:11 PM »
The data can be migrated to any suitable system using Pentaho Data Integration or similar (I am gaining experience with it at the moment).

Also, if we move to a system with a SOAP/XMLRPC API (or similar) for the back-end, another service (hosted/managed by someone else, maybe) could provide access for older/mobile browsers without impacting the design of the primary site.

jaminJay
"Just sayin'..."
Amiga.org - The site for MiniMig support and news.
blakemilesmusic.com

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2009, 03:40:19 PM »
Surely not.  We should stay in living in the past and believe that AmigaOS will be the one OS to rule all others. :-D

I think its great what people are able to achieve with such old hardware and software.

But lets be honest they are better and easier computer experiences to be had these days.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Troika

• Show only replies by Troika
    • http://www.troikang.com/
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2009, 04:07:36 PM »
removed.....check your email Wayne

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2009, 04:24:30 PM »
Am I missing something, Xoops.org says the current version is 2.3.3?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Colani1200

« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2009, 04:36:07 PM »

Tomas wrote:
You could always look the old forum for posting and keep it as a archive.

You can't keep it because of the pending server upgrade. That's what this thread is all about.  :roll:

Offline Tension

« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2009, 04:40:51 PM »
I personally love the layout of Amiga.org. It loads up in no time, and still looks great, unlike most of the flash-heavy crap that is so commonplace these days.

It will be a real shame if we lose all the old data though.

Offline Colani1200

« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2009, 04:48:32 PM »

Colani1200 wrote:

AFAIK, lower 5.x PHP versions have a compatibilty switch that enables PHP4 compatibilty. I'll see if I can find it somewhere. If this is not possible for some kind of reason, I suggest going the way Chaoslord mentioned.

I think I found what I meant. The variable zend.ze1_compatibility_mode can be (un)set in php.ini. But this only seems to be for the Zend engine and it only works for PHP < 5.30 so it wouldn't help forever.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2009, 04:58:02 PM »
Thnaks for the information Wayne and good luck migrating the site.

If Amiga.org requires a "re-boot" then so be it.  It's the people here who make the site worth visiting, not the legacy pages held on the server.

I'm a regular member on another site that had to do something similar.  They mothballed the old site and made it available as read only and then carried on with a fresh, new site.  To be honest, despite the initial "shock", I don't think anbody was bothered after a couple of weeks had gone by.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline cicero790

• Show only replies by cicero790
« Reply #44 from previous page: March 21, 2009, 06:23:17 PM »
@Wayne
I hope everything goes well, so there will be no Amiga version of the Alexandria library incident. I’m curious of the new ideas but at the same time, understand that there is a legacy here to respect and consider. The option Darrin told of is perhaps a way to start from scratch and yet keep everything.  Hope it works out anyway somehow.

A1200 030 40MHz: 2/32MB Indivision AGA MkII
A600 7 MHz: 2MB
AROS 600 MHz
PC 13600 MHz: quad core i7 2600K 3.4GHz: 16GB RAM: ATI HD6950 2GB   (Yes I know)

WINUAE AmiKit ClassicWB AmigaSYS UAE4Droid